Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating everything in moderation

I've got issues with certain levels of sugar and fats. Some foods I can eat, don't cause dumping but make me feel crappy afterwards. Some foods cause dumping that I never expected (Tomato soup)... but for the most part, I can eat small amounts of foods, I stay away from anything that has added sugars /fats if those totals are over 5 grams per serving. I don't worry about natural sugars and fats.
It's amazing, I would eat 2 sandwiches, packed full, with chips and a drink and be hungry within an hour, now, I eat 1 low cal/low carb/ wrap with 2-3 slices of low fat, low sodium luncheon meat with 1 piece of cheese and That's it... and I'm more than good.

Was the dumping really, really bad like they say? [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

On 06/07/2018 at 09:36, Matt Z said:

I've got issues with certain levels of sugar and fats. Some foods I can eat, don't cause dumping but make me feel crappy afterwards. Some foods cause dumping that I never expected (Tomato soup)... but for the most part, I can eat small amounts of foods, I stay away from anything that has added sugars /fats if those totals are over 5 grams per serving. I don't worry about natural sugars and fats.

It's amazing, I would eat 2 sandwiches, packed full, with chips and a drink and be hungry within an hour, now, I eat 1 low cal/low carb/ wrap with 2-3 slices of low fat, low sodium luncheon meat with 1 piece of cheese and That's it... and I'm more than good.

Check the ingredients on the Tomato Soup if it store bought. Several I checked had High Fructose Corn Syrup as the second ingredient and 12 grams of sugar per serving. I couldn’t believe it and have yet to find canned Tomato Soup (just tomato, not the ones with basil or anything else) that did not have HFCS.

9 hours ago, sideeye said:

As much as I like meat, I’m going to start experimenting with tofu more because I just feel it will be lighter on my stomach than animal Protein. Weirdly, there is a distinct difference for me between a stomach that’s full and a stomach that’s just weighed down. The weighted down stomach isn’t fun, so I eat those foods in much stricter moderation. Still eat ‘em, though.

I get that "weighted down" stomach will all solid Proteins and, as you said, isn't fun. I've given up solids for now and am back to Soups which I can handle fine, even if there's ground chicken or beef in them. Thanks for your description, that's how I'll explain it to my doc!

8 hours ago, Abrial said:

Check the ingredients on the Tomato Soup if it store bought. Several I checked had High Fructose Corn Syrup as the second ingredient and 12 grams of sugar per serving. I couldn’t believe it and have yet to find canned Tomato Soup (just Tomato, not the ones with basil or anything else) that did not have HFCS.

Trader Joe's Organic Creamy Tomato Soup does not have HFSC, it does have organic cane sugar. It comes in an aseptic box. If you don't have a TJ's near you, I believe it is made by Pacific brand. It has 100 cals, 5 g Protein, 10 g sugar, with 16 g carbs overall per cup.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:41 PM, Deb100 said:

Was the dumping really, really bad like they say?

Can't see what emoji you used, but it was bad. Cold sweats, explosive diarrhea, nausea, light headed, stomach/intestinal cramping, and then when I was good and cleaned out, it was like I couldn't move I was so tired and drained. It was like getting the flu, all at once, just without vomiting.

And to me, here on the outside, it sounds like my worst dream of chemotherapy.😳

On 6/11/2018 at 4:58 AM, Matt Z said:

Can't see what emoji you used, but it was bad. Cold sweats, explosive diarrhea, nausea, light headed, stomach/intestinal cramping, and then when I was good and cleaned out, it was like I couldn't move I was so tired and drained. It was like getting the flu, all at once, just without vomiting.

Oh my, note to self avoid dumping at all costs. Yikes, that sounds horrifying.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:50 AM, AshAsh1 said:

Could be the sodium in the Tomato Soup (I'm assuming it's shelf bought?). I've got a really good recipe for a homemade if you'd be willing to give it shot. Do you dump with anything else acidic?

I'd love to have your recipe!

11 minutes ago, nibble said:

I'd love to have your recipe!

Tomato Soup

• 1½ cup (360 ml) Water
  • 14½ ounce (410 g) canned diced tomatoes
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 carrot, halved
  • 2½ ounce (70 g) sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1½ Tablespoon onion, peeled, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 1½ Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (Cut this back unless you are a really big fan of Thyme)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
  • 1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
  • ½ bouillon cube
  • ½ teaspoon flax meal
  • ½ cup (120 ml) milk (I use FairLife Milk)

After I soften all the veggies and let everything stew, I throw it in the blender to smooth it all out.

I will try this recipe -- thank you for sharing it!

On 6/9/2018 at 2:02 AM, Abrial said:

Check the ingredients on the Tomato Soup if it store bought. Several I checked had High Fructose Corn Syrup as the second ingredient and 12 grams of sugar per serving. I couldn’t believe it and have yet to find canned Tomato Soup (just Tomato, not the ones with basil or anything else) that did not have HFCS.

If your store carries Annie's organic products, check the label on their Tomato Soup in a box.

Yes I can eat anything I have not found any problem eating. I am about 10 months out and I can eat about 8-12 oz of solid food at a time depending on what it is which is a decent portion. I packed for lunch today 4oz of grilled chicken and 6 oz of steamed vegetables and couldn’t finish the vegetables. I just started meal prepping for work since I started my new job and find it very helpful to weigh my portions at home so I don’t end up wasting a lot of food.