Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating everything in moderation

10 hours ago, annanay1 said:

Is anyone able to eat pretty much everything in very small portions?

The answer to your question is complicated. I'd say, no. But let me explain, as to not discourage you.

I had RNY, so I don't eat anything with added or processed sugar. I used to eat sweets now and again, now the sweetest I get is fruit. My whole diet has changed. I don't hardly eat anything I used to. I'm very focused on lean Protein, whereas before, I would have eaten my potato and my salad first and barely touched my chicken. There is so much that I have to say, "no thanks" to. But I also don't crave things like I used to either. After time, you don't think about the things you can't have. It just becomes second nature, like someone who is lactose intolerant.

1 hour ago, AshAsh1 said:

Some people might scold me, but I still sauce things, especially meats. I use sugar free BBQ Sauce, low fat ranch, low sodium gravy, A-1 sauce, ect. It helps get the meats down. I say as long as you measure and include it in your calorie/fat intake for the day, its worth a shot.

Yep me too. I use the BBQ Sauce too and a bunch of other things.

I’m almost 4 months post op sleeve. I can eat literally anything, and nothing at all bothers my stomach.

So far (almost four months out), the only thing I've found that consistently gives me trouble is Mexican-style spices, even if it's super-mild (I don't like much spicy stuff anyway). My stomach has not liked that any time I've tried it. I get the slimes every time, even from just a bite or two.

Otherwise, so far I haven't had problems, at least not consistently (and since it's not consistent, I'm more apt to think it's because I ate too fast or didn't chew well enough or something, rather than the food itself). I haven't tried soft/fluffy breads/biscuits/rolls yet (other than one tiny bite), but I've eaten toast and tortillas and such. I don't dump on natural sugars for the most part, as long as I don't consume "huge" amounts, so I don't drink a full serving of juice in one sitting (I'll either Water it down or spread it out over a couple hours). I try to avoid added sugars over 5-10 grams, depending on the product (more lenient with yogurt than with some unhealthy treat, for example).

I haven’t had a single issue with food, outside of milk. It is so nice, I eat mostly healthy but have allowed myself a treat here and there. I don’t believe in the theory of absolute restriction from anything with carbs or sugar, and neither does my doctor. I have noticed that we eat pretty healthy meals (and did so before the surgery), so my diet hasn’t changed much. I have stopped snacking so much, as tiny portions and Water keep me full. It is so nice and the best thing I have ever done.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I feel better now after hearing so many horror stories that we will never be able to eat foods we love again lol. I love spicy food and sushi, thai, chinese, etc. Now I know that I will be able to eat all those hopefully but in tiny amounts👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I just had my surgery today about 10 hours ago and so far am so thankful that so far all is ok🙏🏻! Last 2 years I had 2 hernia surgeries and those were the worst recovery of my life😭😭😭so I was so scared of this one. Thankfully, so far it is much easier than hernia repair!

Most things give me dumping. 8 months post op .. eggs won’t digest anymore . I recently started eating small low calorie Caesar salads with rib chicken bits. Fills me up nicely. I do sometimes indulge in Starbucks cake pop and Red Baron thin crust small slice of pizza. Super salty- but I can digest the strangest things!! Looking forward to eating Real foods. Healthier cleaner foods. I’ve been at 147 for 3 weeks now. I’m always within my caloric range no matter what I eat though! So... can’t wait for another nice drop!!

1 hour ago, annanay1 said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 I feel better now after hearing so many horror stories that we will never be able to eat foods we love again lol. I love spicy food and sushi, thai, chinese, etc. Now I know that I will be able to eat all those hopefully but in tiny amounts👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I just had my surgery today about 10 hours ago and so far am so thankful that so far all is ok🙏🏻! Last 2 years I had 2 hernia surgeries and those were the worst recovery of my life😭😭😭so I was so scared of this one. Thankfully, so far it is much easier than hernia repair!

I've had all those, and more! Sashimi & poke are one of my go to's, high Protein and low cal.

Silkykitty, thank you! I hope and pray that I will be that way too🙏🏻 may I ask, when was your surgery and at what weight and how much have you lost?

Im a year out and can eat anything i want to. I just eat a whole lot less of it. Combined with workouts 3 times a weeks I have a good situation where i can maintain my weight and still have occasional cheat days.

Well someone else said what I was going to say, watch out for hidden sugars in premade foods.

13 hours ago, annanay1 said:

I had Thai green curry (my absolute favorite) over the weekend. No rice, just ate it like a Soup. The one small bowl made 2 meals for me and they were DELISH!

I can eat all the spicy things and sashimi and all...but at going on five years out there are still things that don’t agree with me.

Rice and carbonation OUCH. Doughy soft breads are uncomfortable. Toasted are fine but I rarely bother. Too much sugar makes me feel sick—I don’t dump per se but I feel icky.

Took me the better part of a year to tolerate eggs. Cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, etc) I can only do cooked. Carrots too.

I also can’t eat much in the way of refined carbs or I eat too much and gain weight. They slide right through and trigger an insulin response with triggers my binge-y hunger.

But it’s a million thousand times worth the trade off. I don’t want to be eating any of those things anyway! I did this to eat healthier not to eat less of unhealthy foods.

I CAN eat anything, but there are definitely things I regret eating 15 minutes after swallowing. Lots of baked goods fall into that category: fine with a taste, but not with a serving. Riced cauliflower didn’t work for me either. Too much fat does the same thing, just a gross feeling and the strong impulse not to eat that much of that item again.

As much as I like meat, I’m going to start experimenting with tofu more because I just feel it will be lighter on my stomach than animal Protein. Weirdly, there is a distinct difference for me between a stomach that’s full and a stomach that’s just weighed down. The weighted down stomach isn’t fun, so I eat those foods in much stricter moderation. Still eat ‘em, though.