Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chronic Nausea--No Medical Reason

Hello (for some reason my profile won't allow me to edit some info) but I am post op, had my sleeve done 4/7/18. I'm 25 yrs old, 5'6 and my current weight is 197. I started at 241. I am miserable and seriously regretting that I even had this surgery done.

I have not had a solid meal in the last 3 weeks and am losing weight entirely too fast. I am constantly, severely nauseated 24/7. It prevents me from sleeping, eating and doing the basic things I need to do to care for myself. I realize on this forum that there are others with this issue but it seems like their nausea and vomiting is after eating and perhaps they have an underlying surgery issue, I can assure you I do not. Here's why. In the last three weeks, I have visited 3 doctors, the ER had a barium swallow, CT scan and upper GI endoscopy, plus a full blood panel and liters of fluids. ALL of those tests came back showing everything was completely normal. No stricture, sleeve not too tight, gall bladder perfect, no ulcer, no hernia, nothing. The pictures and reports made my insides look like they were show room new.

I am still sick however. I vomit every day, every morning, every night, sometimes the middle of the night, and usually it's these globs of saliva/spit. Sometimes it's medications I've taken, other times it's greenish yellow bile since my stomach is empty. My stomach is always relentlessly queasy and I seriously have no idea what to do. I have been on and tried SEVERAL different nausea meds (zofran, scopolomine Patches, compacine, reglan, phenergan) nothing works. I've been put on carafate (which makes me nauseated and comes back up sometimes) and doesn't seem to be working to "coat my stomach" to help it heal. I was put on prilosec (omeprazole) and had stopped taking it for a while. I read somewhere about 3 days ago that sometimes over production of stomach acids can make you really sick and nauseated so I immediately started taking it again. It just doesn't seem to be working. I am able to sip on Water, so I don't get dehydrated, which sometimes comes back up too.

It feels like I'm all alone...I wish I could go back in time to 4/7/18 and run out of the OR. I would much rather be fat than sick and slowly wasting away. Is there anybody out there with any insight, or who has experienced the same thing? I was told, your body just needs time to adjust to the surgery and some people are nauseated for months. MONTHS?! So I'm not gonna be able to eat for months?!

Any help or insight is appreciated as I am at my wits end.

Sorry, hon that you are suffering so much.

I don't have any real advice other than to try different GERD medications as different brands/types work better for some people. I hope you get some helpful responses. Good luck.

I wish I had something to add other than I am so, so sorry you are having this horrible discomfort. My very best wishes to you.

So sorry this is happening , have you tried motion sickness bracelets like the ones used on boats etc ? How about only eating and drinking cool/room temp/warm things? How about keeping a heating pack on your abdomen? Are you often cold? It may just be your body in a state of unhappy adjustment but not illness. You may need to look at out of the box solutions.

Safe journey

Edited by Tealael

Could you be pregnant?

Not pregnant. That definitely would’ve shown up on all of the testing I had done. Plus I have an IUD.

I am always cold, and room temp foods/drinks make me gag.

So sorry you are feeling this way, hopefully the stomach acid meds will help and you’ll get some sleep. It sucks that you are feeling this way, let’s us know how you go

2 hours ago, Arizona25 said:

I am always cold, and room temp foods/drinks make me gag.

Try hot liqui

Someone mentioned GERD in an earlier response. Could that be what's causing me all this trouble?

I am only 6 weeks out, so take what I say with a grain of salt--I am almost always nauseous and it stems directly from GERD triggered by surgery--besides from the occasional burn in the back of the throat, the nausea it the only symptom, and it is a strong and persistent one. I am currently on 40 mg of Pantoprazole and 40 mg of omeprazole and sometimes I still need to pop a tums to get my food down. I am not saying this is your problem, but it is a possibility.

I wish you luck and hope you are feeling better soon.

@Arizona25 to change your op status, click the drop down next to your avatar at the top right, select "My Surgery", you can adjust your surgery status there. If you click on "Progress" on the left from the "My Surgery" screen you'll be able to add / adjust your weight measurements there. Then if you go back to the drop down, select "Account Settings" then "Signature" on the left you can adjust your signature (what shows up under your posts)

Hope that helps!

For your issue, Are you in an area where medical cannabis is allowed? If not you can check out Marinol/Dronobinal (both federally legal, and covered by pretty much all insurances, you buy it at your local Pharmacy) both Cannabis and the Federally available THC pills (Marinol / Dronobinal) will help with nausea.

I suffer from GERD - which is the main reason I had the surgery. Right now I am still taking Protonix (heartburn med) which is a little disappointing because I thought I would be able to get off of it after surgery. I also struggle with a lot of nausea - especially if I eat or drink too fast, or eat any kind of animal Protein. Dairy can also be tricky - I limit this to small amounts per week. I noticed that instead of heartburn, I get nauseous, so I agree with those who say stay on some kind of medication Altough a lot of doctors say to eat 3 meals and don't snack - I have to eat differently. I eat a small Breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, then dinner. Everything in small quantities.
It will get better and yes, it can still be frustrating but in the end it's worth it! You just have to find what works for you.

Sent from my VS501 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 06/06/2018 at 15:17, Arizona25 said:

Hello (for some reason my profile won't allow me to edit some info) but I am post op, had my sleeve done 4/7/18. I'm 25 yrs old, 5'6 and my current weight is 197. I started at 241. I am miserable and seriously regretting that I even had this surgery done.

I have not had a solid meal in the last 3 weeks and am losing weight entirely too fast. I am constantly, severely nauseated 24/7. It prevents me from sleeping, eating and doing the basic things I need to do to care for myself. I realize on this forum that there are others with this issue but it seems like their nausea and vomiting is after eating and perhaps they have an underlying surgery issue, I can assure you I do not. Here's why. In the last three weeks, I have visited 3 doctors, the ER had a barium swallow, CT scan and upper GI endoscopy, plus a full blood panel and liters of fluids. ALL of those tests came back showing everything was completely normal. No stricture, sleeve not too tight, gall bladder perfect, no ulcer, no hernia, nothing. The pictures and reports made my insides look like they were show room new.

I am still sick however. I vomit every day, every morning, every night, sometimes the middle of the night, and usually it's these globs of saliva/spit. Sometimes it's medications I've taken, other times it's greenish yellow bile since my stomach is empty. My stomach is always relentlessly queasy and I seriously have no idea what to do. I have been on and tried SEVERAL different nausea meds (zofran, scopolomine Patches, compacine, reglan, phenergan) nothing works. I've been put on carafate (which makes me nauseated and comes back up sometimes) and doesn't seem to be working to "coat my stomach" to help it heal. I was put on prilosec (omeprazole) and had stopped taking it for a while. I read somewhere about 3 days ago that sometimes over production of stomach acids can make you really sick and nauseated so I immediately started taking it again. It just doesn't seem to be working. I am able to sip on Water, so I don't get dehydrated, which sometimes comes back up too.

It feels like I'm all alone...I wish I could go back in time to 4/7/18 and run out of the OR. I would much rather be fat than sick and slowly wasting away. Is there anybody out there with any insight, or who has experienced the same thing? I was told, your body just needs time to adjust to the surgery and some people are nauseated for months. MONTHS?! So I'm not gonna be able to eat for months?!

Any help or insight is appreciated as I am at my wits end.

Hi there! I had problems similar to yours. I had all those tests too, and everything came back normal. I actually had to go to the ER for IV fluids because NOTHING would stay down. Nothing. Water, Soup, Jello, nope! I was also sliming just like you. And I had foamies more than a couple times as well.
I went on the carafate and I just vomited it right back up.
I had my VSG on 5/10 and people on here can tell you I felt just as bad as you. I was way past the buyers remorse period and pretty much in the I wish I’d just die sector.
I stopped the carafate, and I started protonix in the morning, 1 Prilosec and 1 nexium each night. I also went back on clear Fluid only for 10 days when I started this regime.
Is your stomach making noises? Do you actually vomit (when your stomach clenches) or just regurgitate (pops right back out with no stomach muscles involved)?

Omeprozale is for long term heartburn which works for a lot of people, but have you tried Rantidine? It’s the same stuff it’s just more for if you need relief within twenty minutes maybe you could try that 20 minutes before eating? I haven’t dealt with nausea that I didn’t know why yet but I had a lot of problems eating because of the smell or taste of anything, even my favorite foods so I can’t really relate but it sounds horrible! I hope something happens and helps SOON for you, good luck!! Let us know if anything helps or changes.