Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am off the full liquid and puréed foods. Although I am eating small amounts of normal food, even though it is low-fat, low calorie, low sugar I am not losing weight. Need to get my mind right so that I can get back on track I have only lost about 20 pounds when I should’ve lost about 50.

Don't do low sugar, do NO sugar. Also stay away from grains and bread to see if that helps... I know when I cut carbs I can get things going in the right direction

I will try that… I just got laid off from work so I can’t afford to go to the gym. I think that has a lot to do with it, because I know that working out always makes me feel better. I think if I can just stick with the liquid diet like I did the first two weeks I would be more successful but the “thrill” of solid food keeps me off my plan

Use what you have at home. You can,use juice cans , cans with motor oil unopened. Walk, ride your bike, jog in the neighborhood, help with houshold chores like swweping, pick up sticks and branches in the yard, mow the yard without the fancy riding,one. Improvise, you' I'm better about you and you'll keep the hardwon strength going.

Hang in there! When was your surgery?

MANY people have a bit of a stall when transitioning from pureed food to solid food when they're about three weeks out. Google "Bariatric Surgery Three Week Stall". It's super common, and super disheartening. But don't be overly concerned! It's normal and if it happens, you're not necessarily doing anything wrong.

Our bodies have amazing defense mechanisms developed over thousands of years to prevent starvation. When our calories suddenly dip very low we hormonally and metabolically adjust to maintain our weight as much as we can....so...ya know...we don't starve to death. And yes, this defense mechanism SUCKS for weight loss.

But the good news...is that if we stay the course....and stick to our plans consistently...eventually, we do overcome it and the scale starts moving again. I promise.

4 hours ago, Dthomas4505 said:

even though it is low-fat, low calorie, low sugar I am not losing weight. Need to get my mind right

Dthomas....if you're not exceding your calorie goal, if you're journaling what you eat and choosing good food...your mind IS right. Your body is just throwing you a curve ball as a defense against starvation. It's temporary!

Stick to your eating plan. Have patience. And have realistic expectations. Most folks are not going to have the 50 pound losses you see on My 600 Pound Life in a few weeks.

Also...losing a job and the financial crunch it brings... can be really discouraging and depressing. Exercise really will help you, even if it's just walking a few miles a day.

Hang in there. It gets better.

My advice would be to always think “Protein first.” Avoid sugars and carbs as much as possible.

Protein first, and Water WATER WATER.

And I say this over and over, DO NOT FOCUS ONLY ON WEIGHT! There are so many things going on with WLS, that focusing ONLY on what the scales says for weight, without factoring in anything else like body fat % or your body measurements, will make anyone question their progress. I'm under my calorie goals every day, I hit all my protein and water marks, I'm in the gym at least an hour a day.... yet the past 3 days I went from 260 to 260.8. So if I ONLY looked at that, I'd be going in the wrong direction... but I know that my body fat % has dropped .2% in that time, so I'm not actually gaining, I'm losing. Just not "weight", at least not just yet. Square inch for Square inch, muscle weighs more than fat. So any muscle gaining you are working on is going to offset fat loss and very well could end up in a gain...

Also, stalls happen often, not always just around certain post-op dates. You've transitioned from pureed to solids, that's going to take some time for your body to get used to again, so your body taking some time to re-calibrate... will happen. Just don't let the process get you down, as long as you are doing what you are supposed to... things will work out as expected.

Don't stress,

You got this!

Grt an exercise dvd from the library or use your phone and youtube a video on exercise. Find a friend to walk with, start a group at your church. Stalls suck, not going to lie about it, I have lost 5 pounds in 3 months because of stalling....hang in there 20 pounds is good, don't stress, get some sleep because worrying causes stress hormones to increase. Increase Water, try eating soft baked fish, sometimes just changing a couple things jolts the body into losing, and sometimes it just takes a couple more weeks.

During my stall I lost 6 inches in my waist and hips, so measure yourself. Good luck.

8 hours ago, Dthomas4505 said:

I will try that… I just got laid off from work so I can’t afford to go to the gym. I think that has a lot to do with it, because I know that working out always makes me feel better. I think if I can just stick with the liquid diet like I did the first two weeks I would be more successful but the “thrill” of solid food keeps me off my plan

walking is free and is the best overall exercise you can give your body.

step back from a counter top and do push ups at a 45 degree angle. i do these all day just to work my arms and i have a gym available.

the post above about sugar is on the mark. there is no good level of sugar. whatever works its way into your diet will stop your weight loss.

The goal is to get as close to zero as you can.

The second goal is the same as the first except its simple carbs - they are just a form of sugar.

Dont do low fat. fat makes you feel full and has a place in your diet with Protein.

foods that are labeled low fat have sugar add in to replace the taste lost from removing the fat.

get that protein in and get carbs from veggies and leave the sugar and breads and pasta's behind and you will be on your way.

good luck

Edited by allwet