Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Barrett's Esophagus and Gastric Bypass



Recommended Posts

Hello,

I was preparing for the gastric sleeve when my pre-op EGD scope showed I have Barrett's esophagus, with dysplasia (pre-cancerous). My WLS surgeon said I need to treat the Barrett's first and then strongly suggested I have the Gastric Bypass instead of the sleeve because of several reasons -- GERD is usually eliminated with bypass and worse with sleeve (acid is the cause of the Barrett's), and the stomach is left if needed for esophageal cancer surgery (worst case scenario, obviously).

My first priority is getting the Barrett's treated. Then, in four to six weeks, having the WLS surgery, which is recommended to also treat Barrett's (from an obesity perspective).

So, I'd like to hear if there are other WLS patients like me with Barrett's and what happened. I'm anxious for info!

I'm a bit in shock since I got the news today. But I consider it a blessing because if I hadn't gotten the scope, I could have had a much worse diagnosis later.

My May 30 surgery is now postponed, obviously. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you posted this a while ago, but I was just browsing the lists and came across it, so I thought it's probably not too late to reply.

I was diagnosed with Barrett's in 2016, and at that time I was also told I had a large hiatal hernia. I was recovering from having my gallbladder removed and I felt like the warranty had just expired on my body. The surgeon said nothing was going to get better unless I had WLS--he was recommending sleeve.

Insurance company sent me to a different hospital in a different city, and that surgeon recommended RNY for all the reasons your surgeon said. I had the surgery in September of 2017, and I feel much, much better. After 2 months, I was able to stop taking the Prilosec and my high blood pressure meds. I haven't had a day of heartburn since. I still have to have a endoscopy done every 3 years, but that's minor compared to what the repercussions would be if I hadn't had the surgery. And I've lost 105 lbs!!

But a lot of people in my support group who had the sleeve done have just not had as good of results. So in the end, even though recovery and life after RNY is a little bit harder some days, I'm glad I had it done. I hope you've had your surgery by now and you're feeling better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jrmoseley said:

I know you posted this a while ago, but I was just browsing the lists and came across it, so I thought it's probably not too late to reply.

I was diagnosed with Barrett's in 2016, and at that time I was also told I had a large hiatal hernia. I was recovering from having my gallbladder removed and I felt like the warranty had just expired on my body. The surgeon said nothing was going to get better unless I had WLS--he was recommending sleeve.

Insurance company sent me to a different hospital in a different city, and that surgeon recommended RNY for all the reasons your surgeon said. I had the surgery in September of 2017, and I feel much, much better. After 2 months, I was able to stop taking the Prilosec and my high blood pressure meds. I haven't had a day of heartburn since. I still have to have a endoscopy done every 3 years, but that's minor compared to what the repercussions would be if I hadn't had the surgery. And I've lost 105 lbs!!

But a lot of people in my support group who had the sleeve done have just not had as good of results. So in the end, even though recovery and life after RNY is a little bit harder some days, I'm glad I had it done. I hope you've had your surgery by now and you're feeling better.

Thank you so much for your post! I loved reading about your experience. I had the ablation of my pre-cancer cells two weeks ago and my pre-op with my WLS surgeon on Friday. Now I’m just waiting for bypass to be scheduled. So I’ll be getting the RNY gastric bypass in a few weeks, fingers crossed! I’ve done a lot of research and spoken to several doctors, including my PCP and Gastroenterologost, and they all said the bypass was the best bet to cure GERD. And insurance approved it, even though I’m at 34 BMI. That alone says a lot, since they denied me for the sleeve even with comorbidities because I was too low a BMI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Background: I’ve had GERD for many many years, long time Prilosec user, and a family history of esophageal cancer.

I had MGB surgery in April 2017 and it resolved my acid reflux, but in Dec 2017 an EGD showed bile reflux, and then in April 2018 an EGD showed Barrett’s Esophagus and a hiatal hernia, which I never had before. Two different surgeons have recommended conversion to RNY to correct the reflux and to repair the hernia, so I will be having both of these procedures at the end of the month. I am also low normal BMI right now so I hope I don’t lose too much weight after surgery.

I’m looking forward to being free of all symptoms and resolution of pre-cancerous cells!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

Background: I’ve had GERD for many many years, long time Prilosec user, and a family history of esophageal cancer.

I had MGB surgery in April 2017 and it resolved my acid reflux, but in Dec 2017 an EGD showed bile reflux, and then in April 2018 an EGD showed Barrett’s Esophagus and a hiatal hernia, which I never had before. Two different surgeons have recommended conversion to RNY to correct the reflux and to repair the hernia, so I will be having both of these procedures at the end of the month. I am also low normal BMI right now so I hope I don’t lose too much weight after surgery.

I’m looking forward to being free of all symptoms and resolution of pre-cancerous cells!

Good luck to you! But know that you are taking charge of your health to get rid of acid reflux!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2018 at 3:37 PM, TexanGal said:

I was preparing for the gastric sleeve when my pre-op EGD scope showed I have Barrett's esophagus.

they all said the bypass was the best bet to cure GERD. And insurance approved it, even though I’m at 34 BMI. That alone says a lot, since they denied me for the sleeve even with comorbidities because I was too low a BMI.

The exact same thing happened to me and my surgeon and the insurance company made the decision for me. Well not exactly, my surgeon strongly recommended bypass and not sleeve, and my insurance refused to pay for anything but bypass surgery. Very glad it actually went that way as I think I will not have GERD to deal with again and my other health issues have resolved.

The 2nd quote was also the same for me and I was insurance approved for Gastric Bypass only even though my BMI was 34 at time of final approval. Good Luck! It is not always easy, but very much worth all the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad conversion has worked for so many people and I thought it would for me as well. However I am in complete and utter dispair because it has not helped my reflux at all. I am in constant pain 24/7. I don't smoke, drink, consume any caffeine whatssoever, etc. I'm pretty sure if I ate something spicy or greasy I would literally and instantaneously die of the pain. I understand I'm in the minority and would beg anyone who has reflux to choose bypass over sleeve because at this point death seems like a better option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, animallover1247 said:

I am glad conversion has worked for so many people and I thought it would for me as well. However I am in complete and utter dispair because it has not helped my reflux at all. I am in constant pain 24/7. I don't smoke, drink, consume any caffeine whatssoever, etc. I'm pretty sure if I ate something spicy or greasy I would literally and instantaneously die of the pain. I understand I'm in the minority and would beg anyone who has reflux to choose bypass over sleeve because at this point death seems like a better option.

I’m confused, did you have a revision from VSG to RNY and still have reflux or did you just have a VSG? I’m so sorry you’re still struggling with GERD. Are you working with a top notch Gastroenterologist to figure it out, have you had a recent EGD to see what may be the root cause, and are you taking any PPIs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

I’m confused, did you have a revision from VSG to RNY and still have reflux or did you just have a VSG? I’m so sorry you’re still struggling with GERD. Are you working with a top notch Gastroenterologist to figure it out, have you had a recent EGD to see what may be the root cause, and are you taking any PPIs?

Yes I had a sleeve Feb 2016 and revised to bypass. And yes, I'm still having reflux 24/7. One may ask how that's possible but I assure them it is. It actually feels like I didn't even have bypass at all. In fact I complained about reflux before I even left the hospital!!!! When I had nothing to eat!! I am currently waiting on my bravo testing and manometry testing. I am on dexilant 60mg, carafate, and zantac. I just don't understand! 😥 It can't be my diet because I'm not eating anything. Still on stage 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2018 at 1:15 AM, animallover1247 said:

Yes I had a sleeve Feb 2016 and revised to bypass. And yes, I'm still having reflux 24/7. One may ask how that's possible but I assure them it is. It actually feels like I didn't even have bypass at all. In fact I complained about reflux before I even left the hospital!!!! When I had nothing to eat!! I am currently waiting on my bravo testing and manometry testing. I am on dexilant 60mg, carafate, and zantac. I just don't understand! 😥 It can't be my diet because I'm not eating anything. Still on stage 2

Wondering if things got better for you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to update all: I have never had GRD since my bypass. Hope everyone else is ok!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

Wondering if things got better for you ?

No but I finally found out what the problem is. I had to go to the Cleveland Clinic to find out my weight loss surgeon was an idiot. Long story short he did a surgery on me called a heller myotomy 1 out of 6) and it cut the valve so its wide open so theres nothing to prevent the reflux from coming up. Cleveland said there's no treatment for the valve. My acid level was tested again it is over 3 times what it should be. I'll have to live with the constant reflux for the rest of my life. So..my reflux is nothing to do with bypass not helping me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2020 at 8:38 PM, animallover1247 said:

No but I finally found out what the problem is. I had to go to the Cleveland Clinic to find out my weight loss surgeon was an idiot. Long story short he did a surgery on me called a heller myotomy 1 out of 6) and it cut the valve so its wide open so theres nothing to prevent the reflux from coming up. Cleveland said there's no treatment for the valve. My acid level was tested again it is over 3 times what it should be. I'll have to live with the constant reflux for the rest of my life. So..my reflux is nothing to do with bypass not helping me.

So sorry to hear this. Wonder how often this happens?

I am having the bravo test done the 10th. I cant do the whole 7 days without my Dexilant. I have only slept 3 hours. Did you have to go a week without meds for your bravo testing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes I had to go without the PPI when I did my 2nd bravo test. Do you have the sleeve? I ask because when I had to go without my dexilant for two weeks, I was expecting my reflux didn't worsen but it didnt. Do you know why? Because bypass patients shouldn't take extended release meds. Dexilant is an ER medication. ER meds won't hurt a patient, they just offer little to no benefit because by the time the medine is released, its already been digested.

Please let me know what your Demeester score is. Make sure to ask your doctor because this will give you an idea of how severe your reflux is. A normal score is 14.72 or below. Mine was 84.4.

Edited by animallover1247
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tracyringo said:

I am having the bravo test done the 10th. I cant do the whole 7 days without my Dexilant. I have only slept 3 hours.

So sorry you're still suffering from reflux this much. Did they offer you any other therapy option by now despite converting to RNY?

May I ask why you're doing this test? I thought it was already clear that you have severe acidic reflux?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • zombierayvinn

      I am almost 8 weeks post op and I am down to 157 from 202. I have been struggling with nausea but not vomiting. Anyone else having this happen?
      · 3 replies
      1. Bastian

        After having horrendous nausea I did some reading and it seems quite common. Especially if you have ruled out eating too fast/too big a mouthful. Also drinking too soon will make you feel sick. I now take 2 antiemetics to help with my nausea, hopefully yours is just that you need to slow down eating etc

      2. BayougirlMrsS

        agree with the above. start a log of what and when you eat/drink

      3. zombierayvinn

        Thank you. I get the nausea throughout the day and night its kind of weird.

    • WInston223322

      Been a hell of a good Journey and thanx to all 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Steph1999x

      Post op day 2...so far so good!
      · 1 reply
      1. LisaDee1

        What state are you in????

    • Krestel

      Officially no longer over weight! Goal #1 reached! I'm now under 80kgs (176 lbs) at 179cm (5'10") and 10 months post-op and am over the moon. My weight at 79.9 kgs (176 lbs) gives me a BMI of 24.9 which means that I have a normal weight! OMG.
      I still want to lose about 16 lbs more though in order to get safely into the middle range to insure against that little regain that happens. The I have maintenence in front of me as well.
      BUT I have hit my first goal. Yeah me!!!
      · 1 reply
      1. biginjapan

        Fantastic! That's such a great goal to reach and one I hope to get to this year as well.

    • TWCook

      I had my gastric sleeve done September 10, 2020... I started out 330# before surgery.... I'm down to 260# now... I've been stalled out for over two months now.... I exercise when I can (Bad back/knees)... I follow my diet , get my protein and drink my water... But still not losing any weight... I've done everything I can think of to break the stall.... Even went back to liquid diet....  Sometimes I think this was a mistake having the surgery...
      · 1 reply
      1. Boss lady84

        sorry to hear that don't feel down. Maybe a reset meaning something new. I am in the process of having the surgery a second time. I had Lapland in 2012 removed in 2018 and I have gained everything back and some. When I stalled on lapband I had to do something new for me I joined a free boot camp and Zumba and then boom dropped 38 pounds in 2 months. I know you said bad back and knees so find something with your limits. But I think try something new I stalled for 8 months

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×