Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight on pre-surgery diet

Hi all
I am getting my sleeve done next Tuesday (29th)
I’m very excited! 😄
I have been on the pre surgery diet for a week and a half now, I’m in the UK so I’m on a prescribed low carb, low fat diet (around 800 calories a day)
I lost a fair amount of weight in the first week (13lb) but now it seems to be going back on.
I am keeping to the diet religiously and am getting slightly worried I’m not going to lose any weight after I have the sleeve!
Did anyone else not lose weight on the pre op either?
Thanks! 😊

If you lost 13lb in the first week, I'm not surprised your body has slowed your metabolism down & you aren't losing in the second week. NONE of that means you're not going to lose weight after you have the sleeve! Good luck! You are not alone!

Stay the course RockyDay, I'm a just a little higher calorie count and my weight isn't falling away either. Are getting your exercise in also?, even if no more than walking or marching in place. every little bit helps. I'm in the US but American and British bodies aren't that different, many of us came from the same gene pools. My ancestors came from Lancaster, York and Worchester so we could be distant distant cousins!
Ta Ta and have a beaut of a day😝

I would say you’re r doing just fine. Our body adjusts to extreme weight loss (13lbs. In a week).

I wouldn’t be concerned

Edited by Bryn910

I would think you are doing fine. Make sure you are drinking a lot of Water since you are probably in ketosis. If your urine is darker than pale yellow you should chug some more water.

Thank you everyone, it’s been quite disheartening the past couple of days to see my weight has gone up a little again but I guess weighing myself every day I am going to see slight changes.
I do need to keep drinking Water though, I often forget!
Hope everyone has a great day 😊

I didn't lose a lot during my pre-op diet, but my liver was small which was the goal. Try not to worry too much about the scale. You will do just fine.

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 224
GW: 165

2 hours ago, rockyday said:

Thank you everyone, it’s been quite disheartening the past couple of days to see my weight has gone up a little again but I guess weighing myself every day I am going to see slight changes.
I do need to keep drinking Water though, I often forget!
Hope everyone has a great day 😊

Try not to weight yourself every day, you will go mad!!! I am on day 10 of the liquid diet, I lost 5 lbs drastically in 2 days, and was the same weight for 8 days, until this morning the scale magically dropped 5 pounds overnight. Do not worry at all, the weight will continue to come off. Be patient, and also remember after surgery you WILL stall but don't let this discourage you! Just like our minds need to catch up to the new us (taking more time grocery shopping, looking for new sizes clothes shopping, etc) our body needs to catch up with itself, and all of the changes going on internally.

Weighing every day can be madding. ESP if that's the ONLY number you get to look at. I always suggest getting another metric to check if possible, like if you can find a scale that also does body fat. This way you have more than 1 metric to follow. I don't know how many days I've gained weight, or stayed the same... and actually lost body fat.

The best advice I can give you is to stay on track of your intakes and any exercising. The math never fails, If calories consumed is less than calories burned, you WILL be losing something... either fat, or weight (or muscle if you aren't consuming enough protein!)

Keep up the good work, you got this!

On 5/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, browneyez42 said:

I didn't lose a lot during my pre-op diet, but my liver was small which was the goal. Try not to worry too much about the scale. You will do just fine.

Not to derail the thread, but this was my experience and I was so excited when the surgeon's assistant said everyone had been talking about my smooth, shiny pink liver. I brought it up later with my surgeon and she was like, "Yeah, you must just be genetically not susceptible to fatty liver. Some people aren't." Uhhhh..... Girl............ can you not at least give me the credit for it???? I suffered through 21 days of the liquid diet! I only lost 15 lbs (10 pounds the first week - I started at 358 so expected to lose way more) and I was so worried and on edge about my liver those last two weeks that I wasn't really losing weight. Don't tell me it's just genetics!!! Rude!!! :lol::lol: