Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey!

I have heard so much about liposuction but I didn't exactly know what it was until recently. Liposuction basically is a type of cosmetic surgery that removes fat from our body to give it more shape. It can be done on the abdomen, buttocks, cheeks, neck, hips, knees, thighs, and breasts. When I heard what it is all about, I feel like I should get it done. It is mainly because I put on a lot of weight and everywhere I go people keep telling me that I have gained lots of weight. This is really embarrassing and I don't even step out of my house now. I stopped meeting my friends too. They always come home to meet me. It's not like I haven't tried to lose these extra pounds. I used to hit the gym, tried yoga and did some dieting as well. But it was useless. I did not lose anything. When my hiding continued, one of my friends asked me to visit a cosmetic surgeon from Vaughan who is an expert in liposuction surgery. I have taken an appointment with him next week. I want to escape this embarrassment and fit it into all my clothes and look good. I want to lose those extra pounds in my belly and my thighs. I only know basic things about liposuction and almost nothing about its cost and other side effects. I don't know what else to do. Please tell me more about this surgery and its side effects. Will I be able to eat properly? Should I keep exercising to stay fit? Kindly share your feedback.

Those people are assholes... what the heck?! I don’t know about Lipo, but I’m sorry you’re feeling this way.

HW 289
SW 262
CW ? (5/14= 248lbs)

VSG 5/2/18 [emoji92]
Kaiser, Ontario - Dr. Chin

Without knowing your height and current weight, I just want to say that liposuction isn't really a substitute for weight loss. If you are significantly overweight liposuction isn't going to help you.

Are you willing to share your stats?

Edited by 2shea

Knowing your stats would help. I can tell you Lipo helps if you have 10 lbs to lose or if you have a trouble area... a little pooch that you can't get rid of with weight loss or some women get that little role around your bra. Little truly cosmetic stuff. I had a Tummy Tuck after my third child because I had a ton of extra skin (13 lb baby will do that too you LOL). The surgeon did a little bit of lipo then, but he told me to get off as much weight as possible because he could only liposuction so much. Doctors can't suck out 50 lbs with lipo. He did the tummy tuck and sucked a little from the bra line and a little from my hips to give my upper body a nice shape. By no means did this process get me down to my ideal weight. It was more so to help my shape after the wear and tear of the 3 huge babies. Believe me if I could've gotten all my extra weight sucked out I would've =P Even if you have lipo it doesn't prevent weight/fat from coming back on. While I have maintained my shape over the years I have put on pounds which is why I'm now having WLS.

If you're on these boards I'm assuming you've got more than than 10-15 lbs to get off. If you've got a moderate amount of weight to lose maybe just diet and exercise and lipo might help with the last 5-10 lbs, but if you've got a BMI that would qualify you for WLS, then that's your best option not lipo.

Edited by shortmocha

Did you already have WLS? I’m a little lost. If you did have WLS and just put on a couple pounds later, then yes, liposuction could help with that. If you haven’t had WLS, and your BMI is above 35-40, liposuction can’t fix that.
Can you let us know if you’ve had WLS and what your stats are?

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG 5/10/18
CW: 236
First goal weight: 209
Second goal weight: 191 lbs
Third goal weight: 159 lbs
Final Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Knowing your stats would help. I can tell you Lipo helps if you have 10 lbs to lose or if you have a trouble area... a little pooch that you can't get rid of with weight loss or some women get that little role around your bra. Little truly cosmetic stuff. I had a Tummy Tuck after my third child because I had a ton of extra skin (13 lb baby will do that too you LOL). The surgeon did a little bit of lipo then, but he told me to get off as much weight as possible because he could only liposuction so much. Doctors can't suck out 50 lbs with lipo. He did the tummy tuck and sucked a little from the bra line and a little from my hips to give my upper body a nice shape. By no means did this process get me down to my ideal weight. It was more so to help my shape after the wear and tear of the 3 huge babies. Believe me if I could've gotten all my extra weight sucked out I would've =P Even if you have lipo it doesn't prevent weight/fat from coming back on. While I have maintained my shape over the years I have put on pounds which is why I'm now having WLS.
If you're on these boards I'm assuming you've got more than than 10-15 lbs to get off. If you've got a moderate amount of weight to lose maybe just diet and exercise and lipo might help with the last 5-10 lbs, but if you've got a BMI that would qualify you for WLS, then that's your best option not lipo.

How was having the tummy tuck, and recovery? I’ve heard it is brutal, but in the back of my mind I wonder if I’ll want to have one after kids.

HW 289
SW 262
CW ? (5/14= 248lbs)

VSG 5/2/18 [emoji92]

24 minutes ago, baribetty said:

How was having the Tummy Tuck, and recovery? I’ve heard it is brutal, but in the back of my mind I wonder if I’ll want to have one after kids.

HW 289
SW 262
CW ? (5/14= 248lbs)

VSG 5/2/18

I had 3 c-sections before the tuck. I was easily up walking at the hospital all 3 times. The tummy tuck was definitely much worse. After the c-sections I was able to go home and go about my business. I spent a full week and a half with my parents trying to recover from the tummy tuck. I had to sleep in a chair the first couple of days, then in bed with a bunch of pillows. Then there's the drain that's left in for the first few days. The compression garment wasn't fun either and that had to be worn for weeks. I was very please with the results but those first couple of weeks are nothing to take lightly.

I had 3 c-sections before the tuck. I was easily up walking at the hospital all 3 times. The Tummy Tuck was definitely much worse. After the c-sections I was able to go home and go about my business. I spent a full week and a half with my parents trying to recover from the tummy tuck. I had to sleep in a chair the first couple of days, then in bed with a bunch of pillows. Then there's the drain that's left in for the first few days. The compression garment wasn't fun either and that had to be worn for weeks. I was very please with the results but those first couple of weeks are nothing to take lightly.

Dang that sounds rough! I’m amazed so many people do it, because it sounds to terrible [emoji51] I’ve heard you can’t stand up totally straight because the skin is so tight. Good for you for doing it! I’m glad you love your tummy!

HW 289
SW 262
CW ? (5/14= 248lbs)

VSG 5/2/18 [emoji92]

Lipo is for fine tuning / sculpting and not for "weight loss". You said you tried various exercises, but not for how long you tried. Weight loss from working out alone doesn't happen overnight. It takes 2 or 3 weeks for your body to even realize that things have changed. Stalls happen because of this as your body starts to re-calibrate itself. How's your Water intake, you can't burn fat very effectively without water. Are you still tracking your food consumption? If your intake is lower than your daily burn, you **WILL** lose weight.

I have had 2 tummy tucks. First one 15 years ago & only skin not muscle... it was an easier recovery .... fast forward had another after surprise 3rd child late in life but with muscles tightened- a bit harder. But honestly I thought my C-sections were harder. Only thing I didnt like was the the drains had 2 & lasted over a week with them in ... just annoying really. I also had sculpting done with Lipo.... it mainly works on small pockets of fat that remain after weight loss after you have it your body shape is a bit smoother . All in all it’s worth it !!!