Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions and anxiety

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on getting either gastric bypass surgery or the duodenal switch through Duke. I had to do a year of medicalized weight loss for my insurance. It will be a year on August 16. Does anyone know how long it typically takes insurance companies to approve surgery? Can you set your surgery date before you have approval (IE before August 16?) I'm so anxious that I will have to wait but I really can't afford to miss too much teaching, and if I got it done as close to August 16th as possible, I might be able to minimize my absence to a week because of when the semester starts.

If anyone has had any experience with the switch, negative or positive, I'd love to hear it. I'm really considering it because I have been fighting my weight for so long and it makes me so thoroughly miserable. The switch is more effective but is definitely riskier with more side effects. Also, I want to have a baby sometime following surgery (2 years or so?) so I'd love to hear any experiences anyone has with it.

Ugh, I'm just freaking out so much at the moment because I just went to the doctor for a routine check up and I feel the most intense self loathing after going to the doctor. I feel like a freakish specimen they're all disgusted by. I just want this surgery as soon as I can get it.

Sorry, this was mostly just a bunch of word vomit, but replies are appreciated. I don't know anyone who's had this, and my friends and family just don't understand why I can't lose weight on my own, so I'd just like to hear from someone who's actually experienced this.

Thanks for reading if you made it through!

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on getting either gastric bypass surgery or the duodenal switch through Duke. I had to do a year of medicalized weight loss for my insurance. It will be a year on August 16. Does anyone know how long it typically takes insurance companies to approve surgery? Can you set your surgery date before you have approval (IE before August 16?) I'm so anxious that I will have to wait but I really can't afford to miss too much teaching, and if I got it done as close to August 16th as possible, I might be able to minimize my absence to a week because of when the semester starts.
If anyone has had any experience with the switch, negative or positive, I'd love to hear it. I'm really considering it because I have been fighting my weight for so long and it makes me so thoroughly miserable. The switch is more effective but is definitely riskier with more side effects. Also, I want to have a baby sometime following surgery (2 years or so?) so I'd love to hear any experiences anyone has with it.
Ugh, I'm just freaking out so much at the moment because I just went to the doctor for a routine check up and I feel the most intense self loathing after going to the doctor. I feel like a freakish specimen they're all disgusted by. I just want this surgery as soon as I can get it.
Sorry, this was mostly just a bunch of word vomit, but replies are appreciated. I don't know anyone who's had this, and my friends and family just don't understand why I can't lose weight on my own, so I'd just like to hear from someone who's actually experienced this.

Ok. So I had the sleeve done yesterday here in NC, and your process sounds a lot like mine. After my year of NUT visits, I had to have another preconsult with my surgeon, do a pre-op meeting and all new lab tests.
Typically you cannot set up your surgery until your prior authorization for surgery has gone thru. Since my surgeon deals with the same couple insurance policies, they knew exactly how long it would take to get my approval in. The day of my last pre-surgery appt with the surgeon, the penciled me in for my surgery date 17 days later. Exactly 2 weeks before my scheduled surgery, my approval came in and I was immediately put on the Optifast diet. After that, I did all the meetings, tests, pre-op hospital paperwork etc.
13 days later I was in the OR, the next day (today) I was able to pass all discharge instructions and tests, and now I’m back at home, no pain meds or anything needed.
I guess to shorten it down, no you can’t be officially scheduled until you’re approved, but you surgeon may be able to pencil in a date for you and if all goes well and on time, you’ll have no problem keeping that date.
Hope this helps with some of your questions. I can’t help with the switch or RNY info since the best and safest option for me was the sleeve. If you want more information regarding those two options, you should jump on the boards for the RNY and then the switch one as well and ask those people questions. Most everyone here is very kind and helpful and will answer any questions you may have.
Good luck!

HW: 311
CW: 255
SW: 255
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Hi everyone,

I am also having my surgery through Duke but doing the gastric bypass. I didn’t have any of the waiting or additional appointments most insurances require. As soon as I finished their checklist they scheduled me for surgery (May 24th) and it only took about a week for insurance to approve. I wish you luck in your journey!

Thanks to both of you for the replies! Yes, as far as i know, Duke gets the requirements done before they schedule surgery so I don't think I'll have to do labs again. I hope not!

Good luck Caroline, I'm sending Good Wishes to North Carolina, they will be there whenever you need to pick them up!💜😝💙

It depends on your insurance carrier, too. Mine approved me in less than 48 hours - I got word three days after the team submitted and was called on day 4 to pick a surgery date.

If you can't get it scheduled in August, schedule it for over winter break - then you won't have to miss time from school.

48 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

It depends on your insurance carrier, too. Mine approved me in less than 48 hours - I got word three days after the team submitted and was called on day 4 to pick a surgery date.

If you can't get it scheduled in August, schedule it for over winter break - then you won't have to miss time from school.

I think I'll try to make the school understand. I teach twice a week so I feel like if I'm having a major surgery, they can be bothered to find a sub or allow me to do a digital class. I also don't want to wait until winter break, mostly because I'll just gain more weight between now and the surgery.

Another question for anyone who can answer: my team told me that I'd need to take two weeks off work. Has anyone returned to work more quickly? Keep in mind my that all I have to do is teach two 1.15 hour courses twice a week and I can do it sitting. I'm wondering whether I'd be able to return more quickly? All my other work can be done from home.

Also, how much help did you need after your surgery? Could you walk and use the bathroom on your own?

Do you have enough money for DS Vitamins? I've been told they average $150-200 monthly. Its the most radical bariatric surgery and has the highest monthly upkeep.😭

5 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Do you have enough money for DS Vitamins? I've been told they average $150-200 monthly. Its the most radical bariatric surgery and has the highest monthly upkeep.😭

Probably not :( At least, not for the time being. I'm living on a graduate student stipend. One of the reasons I'm leaning towards G.B.

That's the surgery I will be having also. Another thing,i didn't mention, because I forgot it before, many DS develope lactose intolerance,can often be gotten by taking Lact-aid pills, but why borrower trouble?
my own surgery will probably take place next month in June.

On 5/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, Caroline125 said:

Another question for anyone who can answer: my team told me that I'd need to take two weeks off work. Has anyone returned to work more quickly? Keep in mind my that all I have to do is teach two 1.15 hour courses twice a week and I can do it sitting. I'm wondering whether I'd be able to return more quickly? All my other work can be done from home.

Also, how much help did you need after your surgery? Could you walk and use the bathroom on your own?

Had surgery on a Tuesday morning. Discharged Wednesday at 2 pm. Slept most of that day. Sat on the couch most of the day Thursday but did not need any help. Went grocery shopping on Friday (made the kids carry the bags in - I had a 10 pound lifting restriction) and rode a recumbent bike at the gym on Saturday. Went into the office on Monday worked 9-4 (short day for me). Worked from home Tuesday, back in the office Wednesday. (I only work in the office 2 days a week and work remotely the rest of the time.)

I was tired from the anesthesia working its way through my system but this was way easier than the two c-sections I had to have my kids! I work at a desk all day so nothing physical, but my doc's position was do as much as your body says you can. YMMV.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:56 PM, Diana_in_Philly said:

Had surgery on a Tuesday morning. Discharged Wednesday at 2 pm. Slept most of that day. Sat on the couch most of the day Thursday but did not need any help. Went grocery shopping on Friday (made the kids carry the bags in - I had a 10 pound lifting restriction) and rode a recumbent bike at the gym on Saturday. Went into the office on Monday worked 9-4 (short day for me). Worked from home Tuesday, back in the office Wednesday. (I only work in the office 2 days a week and work remotely the rest of the time.)

I was tired from the anesthesia working its way through my system but this was way easier than the two c-sections I had to have my kids! I work at a desk all day so nothing physical, but my doc's position was do as much as your body says you can. YMMV.

Thanks for all this information! How are you feeling now?

On 5/12/2018 at 2:50 PM, Smaller in NC RNY said:

I am also having my surgery through Duke but doing the gastric bypass. I didn’t have any of the waiting or additional appointments most insurances require. As soon as I finished their checklist they scheduled me for surgery (May 24th) and it only took about a week for insurance to approve. I wish you luck in your journey!

Do you know whether Duke requires that you lose weight before they allow you get surgery?

8 minutes ago, Caroline125 said:

Do you know whether Duke requires that you lose weight before they allow you get surgery?

Honestly, I do not know if they do for certain weights. I am 5’2” and was 223 at the initial appointment. The doctor just said I could start working out and losing weight ,he did not care how much, because they would use that weight for the insurance approval.