Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide on your goal weight?!

How did you decide on your "goal weight"? Was it something that you talked to your surgeon about? How many of you took your BMI into account? I am hitting non-scale milestones (smaller clothes, able to walk fast and further, etc.) but I still focus on the scale since that is what I have done my whole life. Trying to get away from it but it is hard. I'm 5'9 and was 419 at my heaviest and around 355 on surgery day 12/28. I'm down to 278 as of this morning so I am making great progress. I was thinking of setting my goal weight around 190. I want to get under 200 and 190 seems like a weight where I would be happy. I know that I will never be "skinny" but I just want to be healthy.

I think my surgeon told me a weight that was attainable. I took two weights in my head and those are it. I have been as small as 160s (barely and for a short time) but I've been there when I was younger so I know it's possible. I'm 5'5" my hw was 302, had my surgery on 4/17/18 weighed 292.9 on 4/2/18. Yesterday I weighed 269. But I'm 2 weeks out. Anyways here's my goals, I will ALWAYS be overweight by medical standards

Female- 38 years old
HW: 302
Last dr. Weight 292.9
Surgery weight- 283
CW: 268
GW 1: 180
GW 2: 160

Healthy weight/BMI: 143

With my bone and body structure I would look like I was dying at 143, even 153. I got sick was in the hospital and was down in the 160s and loooked good but sort of sickly and gaunt.

So I guess long story short. I desperately want to be under 200 pounds, THATS my goal!! I want to feel and look good. The numbers are numbers. I think BMI is BS.

I set intermediate goals not a final goal.

I started at 271 (I’m 5’6”)

Goal 1 - under 200
Goal 2 - less than my husband
Goal 3 - size 10
Goal 4 - lowest adult weight (155)
Stretch goal - single digit sizes

I blew right past all of those and surprised myself fully. Landed at 135 and a size 4 (which if I’m fair due to vanity sizing is more like an 8 of my youth).

Anyhow my point is, health is the primary goal. Then after that I think setting intermediate goals is a way to keep motivated and successful. And finally, you might surprise yourself.

Then I just kept going

My stated goal is 140, just a bit over my lowest adult weight of 136. My surgeon estimated that I might lose 120 total, which would get me to 260. Realistically, I'd like to see if I can get under 200, but I'm not that hung up on the numbers--I just want to be healthier. My first consideration is my knee pain and my second is my diabetes--that may sound backward, but the knee pain is just so debilitating on a daily basis and my diabetes is at least pretty well controlled.

My goal is my high school weight. It's about 5-10lbs lighter than my doc's goal.

But I don't look at the end game. I ONLY focus on 10lb increments.

Today my focus is on eating to my plan and exercising everyday with my scheduled program and breaking out of the 190s. I have 1.2lbs to go for a new decade and new goal. The new goal will be to break out of the 180s. It takes me anywhere from 21-31 days to get through a decade of weight at my current nutrition and exercise levels (and metabolic condition). :D

First goal was to get out of the 300 club

Second goal is 40lbs 1 month after surgery of which I am 3lbs 6 ounces away from achieving.

Biggest Goal is to look good for my brother Wedding come February as I am the best man Goal Weight 220lbs

End Goal is to see 1xx on the scale... I haven't been under 200lbs since I was 13 years old I think its about damn time...

I was looking for a healthy body composition, looking to get my body fat% into the mid teens - average to lean side of average for guys (mid twenties for the gals) and targeted the scale weight that corresponded to that range; BMI is irrelevant for individuals as it is mostly used for population studies. I started out with the gross assumption that I would only lose body fat (not realistic, but a start) and adjusted goal weight as I got closer and saw how my body comp was shaking out.

I thought about the lowest weight I was ever at in my adult life: 143. I thought, "man, with this sleeve, I could probably get down lower than that" and settled on 130. I'm young, that's a healthy weight for someone my age and height, so I went with it. Only about 24lbs to go and my 6 month post op appointment is May 23rd!

I had no idea where to even start. But my doctor asked me what I weighed in high school when I was an athlete. I was right around 175 when I played Rugby. So we set a goal of 180, but I'd really like to see myself get to the healthiest place. I'm short at 5'4, but I have a stockier build. I think that I'd be pretty happy between 150-175.

I started at 412 and in my initial consultation with the doctor, said my goal was 250. Prior to surgery I was able to loose 102lb, and I am now 2 months out and am down another 40lb. So my new overall goals are to get to 199, then to 187 (which is my "healthy weight"). I will then decide what to do from there. However between here and there I have 9 or so mini goals. Some of these are get to just being obese, having lost 150lb, 50lb since surgery, get to overweight, weigh less than 100kg, loose 200lb. These goals are 5 to 10 lb apart, so I find them motivating on a week to week basis, much more than the big numbers. Having said that I am 67% on my way to my 199lb goal, so that feels pretty good.

Well let's see, ex-surgeon settled on 134 at 5ft8in. I would like 175 and a size 15, see in reality I am not a,potential misses size, what I am is an extremely large,over-sized Junior clothing size. For my bill I do not have over-sized mammary development. My girls are very very fine" girls" but they are at D going quickly down to C. Most hefty honey mammas have F,G or higher. If they made them i would be currently a 27-29 Junior size. Juniors are traditionally 5-15, occasionally you can find 17, Montgomery Wards made 19s, that's what I wore at 195 and 21 years old. That was when I was young, in love and would rather look in my sweeties eyes instead of eating. Truly I would accept anything below 200, sure I'd be overweight to mildly obese but at 72 I'll never be slender again.

I am 5’6 and pretty athletic. I would rather be curvy and muscular, than a lower weight with no muscle at all. My doctors goal was 145, I said 160. I would be happy with a fit 170 though.

Height: 5’6
Starting BMI: 37
VSG: 4/16/18
Starting Weight: 231
Surgery Weight: 229
Current Weight: 213 (17 days post op)
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

I’m vague at what I want numbers wise at the “end”. I know I want under 200 and that’s my goal #1. After that I want to be in straight sizes and honestly I think that puts me in the 170s maybe 160s? Single digit sizes are easily sub 160 and I kinda remember being there in my early teens when I worked at a summer camp and literally walked miles per day.

I’m 5’8” with a fairly stocky build and long legs to give you a better idea.

My team is confident that sub 200 lbs is totally doable. Non plus is too but gets into stretch goals. Single digits puts me on the lower likelyhood, again doable and realistic but much more work. They are supportive but are also wanting me to not set myself up for failure with something that’s too extreme. We haven’t talked final BMI numbers which I’m grateful for.

My surgeon gave me a goal of 70% excess weight. So for me, that's 170. However, I was told to set a new goal once that was attained.

• Highest weight 307
  • Surgery weight 255
  • Height 5'7 (was 5'8 a few years ago)
  • Sleeved 4/30/18
  • Current weight unknown
  • Goal 170