Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m scared - What would you have told yourself one week before surgery?

My VSGsurgery is set for 5/2/18, and I’ve gone from totally freaking out for the first few days after it was scheduled (just a week ago, so it’s coming up quick!), to being calmer, with moments of fretting and pushing it out of my mind.

I’m afraid of the surgery, and that is the first big step, then when I think about how life will change it scares me too!

POST- surgery friends, tell me how it’s gone for you? Your life is better, RIGHT? The sacrifices are worth it, right?

What would you have wanted to hear when you were in my shoes?

Thank you!

I would have told myself...

The risks you are taking with your health....by choosing to remain fat.....are MUCH GREATER than the risks involved in a scheduled surgery that you've done pre-screening for.

Don't be scared of a low mortality surgery. Be scared of high mortality cancer, diabetes and heart disease as a fat person.

I love my sleeve.

No regrets. Zero.

I would have told myself...
The risks you are taking with your health....by choosing to remain fat.....are MUCH GREATER than the risks involved in a scheduled surgery that you've done pre-screening for.
Don't be scared of a low mortality surgery. Be scared of high mortality cancer, diabetes and heart disease as a fat person.
I love my sleeve.
No regrets. Zero.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, and I love your logical and positive attitude.
How long ago did you get sleeved? If it’s been long enough, how long did it take for life to seem to get “back to normal”

Had my sleeve about five months ago:)

I had a super fast recovery. I credit this to doing a ton of walking, getting lots of exercise pre-surgically, and taking minimal pain meds in the hospital. (my opinion...if you need them, fine...but they slow you up and you might be surprised how well you feel) I had no nausea with surgery, and have never vomited since surgery.

I started feeling "back to normal" at around three weeks post surgery. My group stresses getting exercise and returning to normal levels of calories as soon as possible. At around 3 weeks out, I was eating about 1000 calories a day and felt like myself again. Great energy.

I still eat 1000-1200 calories, and will continue to do so until maintenance.....so probably for another year.

I feel terrific on 1200 calories a day. I have enough energy to exercise and keep up with my responsibilities.

Eating is different. It's weird to eat small amounts frequently (I do 6 little 200 calorie "meals" a day, generally)....but I feel really full and like I can eat most of the things I like. I don't feel deprived.

I've made a lot of changes and substitutions to create my "forever diet"...but it's food that I genuinely like and am not lying to myself about liking (big problem in previous diets)

Hunger is better now, too. Cravings are better. Food urgency is better. I feel like I have a much healthier relationship with food, and I know I have a much healthier relationship with exercise.

Life is good. I'm off all of my meds (with the exception of thyroid and vitamins)....my blood sugar is no long pre-diabetic...it's normal. My labs are terrific.

So yeah...it's been an incredibly positive experience:)

I had a super fast recovery. I credit this to doing a ton of walking, getting lots of exercise pre-surgically, and taking minimal pain meds in the hospital. (my opinion...if you need them, fine...but they slow you up and you might be surprised how well you feel) I had no nausea with surgery, and have never vomited since surgery.
I started feeling "back to normal" at around three weeks post surgery. My group stresses getting exercise and returning to normal levels of calories as soon as possible. At around 3 weeks out, I was eating about 1000 calories a day and felt like myself again. Great energy.
I still eat 1000-1200 calories, and will continue to do so until maintenance.....so probably for another year.
I feel terrific on 1200 calories a day. I have enough energy to exercise and keep up with my responsibilities.
Eating is different. It's weird to eat small amounts frequently (I do 6 little 200 calorie "meals" a day, generally)....but I feel really full and like I can eat most of the things I like. I don't feel deprived.
I've made a lot of changes and substitutions to create my "forever diet"...but it's food that I genuinely like and am not lying to myself about liking (big problem in previous diets)
Hunger is better now, too. Cravings are better. food urgency is better. I feel like I have a much healthier relationship with food, and I know I have a much healthier relationship with exercise.
Life is good. I'm off all of my meds (with the exception of thyroid and vitamins)....my blood sugar is no long pre-diabetic...it's normal. My labs are terrific.

That’s all so great! Thank you! What are some of your favorite meals? Are you food journaling?

Hunger is better now, too. Cravings are better. food urgency is better. I feel like I have a much healthier relationship with food, and I know I have a much healthier relationship with exercise.

That’s all so great! Thank you! What are some of your favorite meals? Are you food journaling?

6 hours ago, baribetty said:

"Great decision.

Only a week to go until your life and health begin to improve."

I’m 4 weeks out. Not gonna lie, the first two week were rough for me. Now, energy is great. The feeling of being full and saying no to food has been a great feeling. I eat until full and say no to everything else. Take it one day at a time. Remember there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Just keep swimming :)

I'm two days post op. After surgery, I was up walking. I did need pain meds at night and now that I'm home I do have minimal discomfort in my stomach and throat which is to be expected. Staying hydrated is very important. I keep a bottle of Water next to my bed. You will do j just fine and never let fear take over.

I had an RNY with absolutely minimal pain. MINIMAL! LOL.

I would tell myself, "Breathe, and relax...this will go quicker than you think and you're blowing things out of proportion. No reason to work yourself up over this. It's a cake walk."

15 hours ago, baribetty said:

My VSGsurgery is set for 5/2/18, and I’ve gone from totally freaking out for the first few days after it was scheduled (just a week ago, so it’s coming up quick!), to being calmer, with moments of fretting and pushing it out of my mind.

I’m afraid of the surgery, and that is the first big step, then when I think about how life will change it scares me too!

POST- surgery friends, tell me how it’s gone for you? Your life is better, RIGHT? The sacrifices are worth it, right?

Thank you!

I am preop and scheduled for surgery the same day as you. I am not worried at all and am looking forward to it. I already feel so much better after 9 days on the preop diet that I know I am doing the right thing. Hardest thing post op for me will be the complete avoidance of alcohol since we are pretty "social" and enjoy hanging with friends listening to live music and watching football. I can have just as good of a time drinking Water. I try to visualize myself at this time next year feeling SO MUCH BETTER and that helps a lot. Just try to focus on the positive aspects of the surgery and keep your eye on the prize.

I am 2 weeks post op and I can say that it was a breeze. Not to say it will be for everyone but I had a VSG and had very little pain. Did have some nausea post op which I have never experienced post op before but my surgeon had a fix for that and I’m sure every bariatric surgeon does. I was really worried about having to be owned up as my gallbladder was a failed laparoscopic surgery and I had major abdo surgery at 23 yrs old so I know I have adhesions but my surgeon and I had long talk about it and did I want to be opened if he needed to etc although he did say that now a days there are very few that cannot be done laparoscopically.
There is some spasm type pain when drinking initially but that eases pretty quickly. Remember there are staples done one side of your sleeve and as peristalsis happens and moves things down they are going to be stimulated until you heal. This is why it is soooo important to adhere to the diet your Dr orders.
It is natural to be scared but this tool is exactly what I needed. I’m not terribly hungry and really able to deal with the small amounts without wanting to kill someone.
That 2 week pre op diet is a doozy as there is no restriction but stick to it and it will make recovery sooo much better. Don’t be tempted into “the last supper “ as this can be dangerous.
It will be a fabulous life changer, hang in there. I have lost 21 pounds since starting liquid pre op diet and am now 2 weeks post op and started purée foods yesterday.
Good luck

Its a huge relief its soo scarey at 1st but lemme tell you its so well worth it I had my sleeve done 1/24/18 im 65 lbs down its the best feeling ever I have a few issues with heartburn & hormone wise being a woman but you know what none of that compares to anything its the best thing i have ever done for myself i work out 4xs a week everyday I do something different, cant wait for it to get warm so I can start walking & swimming being scared is normal but it is well worth it one thing I hope you have is a support system bc seriously Idk how I would of mads it throw w.o my boyfriend, you will be in alot of pain deff. The 1st week usually week 2 still alil sore but your usually fine afterwards. Trust me you will love it!!! & your new life!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

@baribetty, please don't be scared, all of us are here for you, the veterans know what you're going through, they understand. I am still presurgical but I know what I will tell myself on that, okay.
Well the day you have prayed and dream of so long is finally coming.
Entertain no fears for you can rely on your surgeon and c surgical team and you know they will keep you safe and secure while you are in v their care. This the right time, your reasons for this step are your own but they are the right ones. You will go to sleep softly, when you awake you will awake with a smile for you have achieved something special in your life. Now is the time to begin your transition to the future, the hard work still continues. You were given a shiny new tool, now you must learn to use it wisely. This is the hardest yet rewarding thing you have even done. Your v tomorrow's start with that first step out of bed. You know you can do this, all your yesterday's lead up to this. Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present. One step starts it all, swing your feet over the edge of the bed, slowly stand up , get your balance and start out. The future is now yours. I have this already written on the file card I will use in June or July. For my day lies ahead also, I will make it and you Baribetty will too. Hugs. Frust8