Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Quoting a news link:

The winner decided to wrap seasoned butter in a dough and fry it. "Fire, butter, there you go," he said. His delicacy — which comes in regular butter, garlic, grape and cherry — picked up the title of Most Creative food Monday in the fifth annual Big Tex Choice Awards.

This year, Fernie’s Deep Fried Peaches and Cream walked away with the Best-Tasting trophy.

The desert is made by deep frying peaches dipped in a batter that includes cinnamon, ginger and coconut, then drizzling raspberry sauce on top and adding vanilla butter cream icing on the side for dipping.

The other finalists: Texas Fried Pecan Pie; and Fried Peanut Butter Cup Macaroon.

Past winners: fried banana split and fried cookie dough.

Not Gonzales’ first win: He has also won Best-Tasting titles for fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwich, Most Creative for fried coke and Best-Tasting for Texas fried cookie dough.

PJTP...

Coming up for air after a heavy-duty day of studying yesterday - Beth, I feel your pain, though mine wasn't as much reading, it was Business Math class - readin' and figgers!:sad:

Got a notice this morning that I'm scheduled for another HR meeting tomorrow - actually, they wanted to do it today, but my union rep couldn't make it. I was a basket case this morning, this afternoon I'm just...resigned...they are bound and determined to get rid of me, so I'm gonna stop stressing myself out and just give in.

I don't have the inclination or the desire to research a bunch of obscure union references or legal possibilities to hang on to a job where they obviously don't want me. I've already put in for two other positions near my home and have one more I'm going to do today - an online columnist for a regional newspaper. We'll see what happens...

I fail to understand this - the past few weeks have been very quiet - no blow ups at all. The majority of my time has been spent filing and checking in stuff that candidates have sent us. Nothing serious. I did have to do some scholarship letters (never done those before) and they were reviewed by my supervisor, returned with corrections, re-edited, re-checked and I printed them for signatures last week. They still haven't been returned to me for mailing yet.

I'm just tired...never have I been treated like this by any employer. I believe it's time for me to go...just don't feeling like throwing good effort after bad any more. Worst case scenario, I'm going to get a 2 week suspension. I have enough money in the bank to cover the missed paycheck, but it wouldn't be my choice to do this now. In that two weeks, I'm going to intensify my job search and see if I can NOT have to come back here except to clean out my desk.

I just don't understand...and part of my personality really WANTS to know what went wrong, but I doubt if I'll get a straight answer. I even asked Mgr if this was a suspension meeting, she said she couldn't talk about it - that definately didn't give me warm fuzzies...

And to top it all off, H called with a tech question and I kinda broke down at the end of our very short conversation. He asked what was up, I told him about the meeting, and he couldn't get off the phone fast enough...so much for support. *sigh* It's a blue Tuesday in Ebony's world...:mad:

Worst case scenario, I'm going to get a 2 week suspension.

does suspension require you "have" to show up for work??

cause i sure wouldn't........

they might be doing all this so you quit - not to pay unemployment benefits. make them do the ugly deed, is my only suggestion.

PJTP...

Lulu - as far as I know, if I am "suspended", I don't have to show up for work LOL Not that I would...and if I did, I certainly would NOT have the best attitude!

Just looked up CT unemployment law:

If you file for Unemployment Compensation Benefits after quitting a job or being discharged (for reasons other than lack of work or job elimination), you must attend a hearing to determine eligibility for benefits. If you were DISCHARGED, the hearing will develop information to determine if the discharge was due to conduct in the course of employment which constituted deliberate misconduct, a single knowing violation of a reasonable and uniformly-enforced rule or policy, larceny of property or services whose value exceeded $25 or theft of currency of any value, or felonious conduct. If you were discharged for absenteeism, your employer must show that you were absent without either good cause for the absence or notice to the employer which you could have reasonably provided under the circumstances for three separate instances within a twelve month period.

Based on the above, I think I would qualify for benefits. I have not been "disciplined" for any deliberate misconduct, only for what they term as 'job performance issues'. Just got a rescheduled appt for tomorrow afternoon - don't know if my union rep will be there or not. Just sent her an email. If she doesn't show up, so be it. It's not like they've done much more than show up and nod their heads...no discussion of what's been said about me, no counter-claims, nothing.

I could just as well have not had them there for all the good it's done me. They wanted me to analyze my job, determine where I had been asked to perform tasks that I didn't have complex instructions for, and then ask for those instructions in order to delay the inevitable.

I don't think it would have helped, and at any rate, I don't think that would have earned me any fans around here - not that they are my fans anyway. I'm just planning to move on - and I definately WILL be filing for unemployment when the ax finally falls...let THEM fight it out with the state of CT! :mad:

my small addiction is the jalapeno poppers. fried & stuff w/cheese...mmmmmmm,

Hubby makes a great substitute.

He gets jalapenos (and here lately poblanoes) and cleans them out (saving the cap), then stuffs them with Cracker Barrel sharp white cheddar (or the cheese of your choice), replaces the cap (secured with toothpicks) and grills them on the bbq! Slightly chars the skin of the peppers while softening the meat of the pepper and the cheese. SOOOOO GOOD!!

PJTP...

How do you hot-pepper-eatin' folks handle that?

I can't even smell the suckers without my eyes watering and my mouth tingling...can't imagine actually EATING one!

Of course that could be a throwback / delayed reaction to something my mom and I did by mistake one summer...

She grew jalapenos in her garden, waited until they turned red, then hung them in the kitchen to dry. Then she mistakenly put them in the blender to pulverize them and make them easier to store...you know what happened...clouds of red pepper dust all over the kitchen, coughing, snorting, tears and much laughter.

It was NOT funny when it happened, but I think we were laughing out of hysteria...never touched one again, or even thought about touching one since...:mad::eek::sad:

Oh, Ebony, I'm SO sorry, hon... I hate those people, and I don't even work there.

Just got a rescheduled appt for tomorrow afternoon - don't know if my union rep will be there or not. Just sent her an email. If she doesn't show up, so be it. It's not like they've done much more than show up and nod their heads...no discussion of what's been said about me, no counter-claims, nothing.

I could just as well have not had them there for all the good it's done me. They wanted me to analyze my job, determine where I had been asked to perform tasks that I didn't have complex instructions for, and then ask for those instructions in order to delay the inevitable.

Which lends the question -- what is the BENEFIT in paying some of your paycheck for a group such as this who doesn't do sh*t for you???

He gets jalapenos (and here lately poblanoes) and cleans them out (saving the cap), then stuffs them with Cracker Barrel sharp white cheddar (or the cheese of your choice), replaces the cap (secured with toothpicks) and grills them on the bbq! Slightly chars the skin of the peppers while softening the meat of the pepper and the cheese. SOOOOO GOOD!!

love chared peppers & pablanos as well!!!

ebony - i love the heat; DH has a collection of hot sauces that is insane. at our favorite thai restaurant he needs a towel from the sweat coming off his head - that's a bit much for me however.

PJTP...

How do you hot-pepper-eatin' folks handle that?

I can't even smell the suckers without my eyes watering and my mouth tingling...can't imagine actually EATING one!

Of course that could be a throwback / delayed reaction to something my mom and I did by mistake one summer...

She grew jalapenos in her garden, waited until they turned red, then hung them in the kitchen to dry. Then she mistakenly put them in the blender to pulverize them and make them easier to store...you know what happened...clouds of red pepper dust all over the kitchen, coughing, snorting, tears and much laughter.

It was NOT funny when it happened, but I think we were laughing out of hysteria...never touched one again, or even thought about touching one since...:mad::eek::sad:

The heat is usually determined by how well you clean out the pepper. THe membranes with the seeds has the capsaicin in it and that's where most of the heat is stored. If you clean them well (and DH cleans mine more than his because I do NOT like too much heat), then you're usually okay.

PJTP...

Oh, Ebony, I'm SO sorry, hon... I hate those people, and I don't even work there.

I hear ya, Beth...they, IMHO, have not earned the union dues I pay. This is a 'closed shop' which means you don't have a choice as to whether you join or not...when I worked in Detroit, people used to opt-out of the union during the year, then come in with a check for their back union dues just in time to re-instate their membership and get in on the new contract, retroactive raises, etc. Something wrong with that system...:mad:

Which lends the question -- what is the BENEFIT in paying some of your paycheck for a group such as this who doesn't do sh*t for you???

Really and truly, they did nothing for me. If anyone asks me, I'm going to tell them so. I do have another rep I can talk to, though, and I'm going to shoot her an email now...see if she's got any strategy tips for me...

That's bullsh*t!!! Can't opt out, but they do nothing??? If this isn't yet more proof that lack of competition (or choice) creates apathy, I don't know what does.

They collect their pay and don't have to do a damn thing for it. Nice. :mad:

fried butter, covered in powdered sugar & honey.

Once again I am a few pages behind.....

My nieces (5 and 7) would love this!! They only eat bread to get the butter!!

My only question is how do you deep fry butter without it all disappearing -- I guess it is frozen?

:sad::w00t:Standing alone, that sentence made me do a doubletake...oh no, Is Plain rubbing off on me....ACK!! that's worse. Is Plain having an effect, nope. That's no better. Um...oh, forget it....:mad: