Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Yikes! No teaching cursive? That was a second-grade thing. Scary. Here's our future...can't read, can't write like a grown-up...but hey, they can type with their thumbs... Sad stuff.

The typing thing was part of their reasoning. No one writes anymore (or so they say). Everything is on computer so why bother? I thought that was so sad. I was so proud when I learned how to write in cursive. I looked on that as so grown up. Don't get me wrong, there is so much that my son has learned already that I didn't get until high school, but at what cost?

pjtp:

spinning + rowing + treadmill = big fat steak & wine for lunch:) & a baby nap as well :)

spinning+rowing+treadmill=a trip to the hospital for slim:eek:

It is so hard for me to beleive that kids are not learning cursive. That is so sad. :)

I am happy that I got my girls through school and out of the house. I do not envy you all still going through the school issues!

PJTP: I just came home from a LONG hike on the appalachian trail. It was fun although very hilly! I am soooo tired! My little Sheltie got stung on her face by a yellow jacket. I felt so bad for her! My husband and I are just getting up from a little nap - the dogs still want to stay in their little beds. It was a nice time. :)

PJTP:

Yikes! No teaching cursive? That was a second-grade thing. Scary. Here's our future...can't read, can't write like a grown-up...but hey, they can type with their thumbs... Sad stuff.

It is scary! They can type with their thumbs, but they can't type or use the programs! I still have kids erase and start over on the computer - duh! Or space, space, space to center things. If they aren't going to teach them to write, they should at least teach them to type and use the computer programs.

PJTP: I just came home from a LONG hike on the appalachian trail. It was fun although very hilly! I am soooo tired! My little Sheltie got stung on her face by a yellow jacket. I felt so bad for her! My husband and I are just getting up from a little nap - the dogs still want to stay in their little beds. It was a nice time. :)

Hope the pup is okay! Ouch! I love Shelties they are so cute and very smart! I like to hike with my dog too, he loves to get out and smell the smells.

Hope the pup is okay! Ouch! I love Shelties they are so cute and very smart! I like to hike with my dog too, he loves to get out and smell the smells.

She was shaking her head so I wasnt sure what was wrong. Then I saw the yellow jacket stinging her - I had to call my husband over to help since I am allergic. I was so afraid her face would swell but thankfully she was ok. I do not know what I would done if she had a reaction and I was a mile up the trail. She is such a sweet dog - she is my little sweetheart. <3

Glad she is okay! You are lucky she didn't have a reaction, that would have been horrible. Poor little thing!

My neighbors have a sheltie who is so cute! That dog sure can bark though! I tell the man that I feel like the dog's just welcoming me home. ;-)

Don't forget they can put a condom on a banana... :thumbup:

It is scary! They can type with their thumbs, but they can't type or use the programs! I still have kids erase and start over on the computer - duh! Or space, space, space to center things. If they aren't going to teach them to write, they should at least teach them to type and use the computer programs.

Don't forget they can't spell cat if you spotted them the C and the T because it's hardly a requirement anymore. And since we have spell check... :thumbup:

Slim - I can't believe they aren't teaching cursive! I need to take a poll of my friends' children to see if that's the case anywhere else. To me, that's nuts! I just have this awful picture of children growing up to sign for their house or car as "SNT" in printed caps like they're in kindergarten.

I've also said that I feel like we do our children a disservice letting them graduate HS without a class on living life. To clarify, I think they should mandate taking a class where one learns:

1. how to balance a checking account,

2. how to buy and negotiate for a car, house, etc,

3. how awful credit cards are and how quickly one can get into unmanageable debt,

4. how the local, state, and federal tax system works (ie how much gets taken out per check), and

5. how filing taxes works (ie deductions etc).

I'm sure there are other great topics that I'm not coming up with at 1am but that's my list for now! I have an MBA and am a finance nerd and knew very little about taxes until well into my mid 30's. I rented an apartment for way too long and missed out on the benefits of decreasing one's taxable income through home ownership. Don't get me wrong...renting definitely has its place. However, I could've helped my financial situation at certain times in my life through owning a condo or house.

Sorry, the numbers nerd took over again, huh? My two cents; I'll hush now!!! :thumbup:

They took the personal finance curriculum out at the state level several years ago and now they are reconsidering that decision.

We are offering a personal finance class this fall - kids just need to know this stuff to get by in life. I can't tell you how many kids I help fill out their tax forms every year. Do their parents not pay taxes???

Ok been trying to catch up!

Um...Glou, me thinks you were a bit of a hellion as a child.

Uuuuhhhhhh Duuuhhhhhh! - Not just as a child I'd say! :thumbup:

I got kicked out of Kindgergarten. :) I hated naps and was like, "Hey - the other kids are asleep now I can play with whatever." Not so...the teachers didn't like that so much...so they sent me home one day w/a note to my mom and I remember I never went back.

Pretty much makes my point - and explains a lot!!!! :drool:

pjtp:

spinning + rowing + treadmill = big fat steak & wine for lunch:) & a baby nap as well :thumbup:

Yeah - I don't have kids either!

loves ya all!

Slim - I can't believe they aren't teaching cursive! I need to take a poll of my friends' children to see if that's the case anywhere else. To me, that's nuts! I just have this awful picture of children growing up to sign for their house or car as "SNT" in printed caps like they're in kindergarten.

I've also said that I feel like we do our children a disservice letting them graduate HS without a class on living life. To clarify, I think they should mandate taking a class where one learns:

1. how to balance a checking account,

2. how to buy and negotiate for a car, house, etc,

3. how awful credit cards are and how quickly one can get into unmanageable debt,

4. how the local, state, and federal tax system works (ie how much gets taken out per check), and

5. how filing taxes works (ie deductions etc).

I'm sure there are other great topics that I'm not coming up with at 1am but that's my list for now! I have an MBA and am a finance nerd and knew very little about taxes until well into my mid 30's. I rented an apartment for way too long and missed out on the benefits of decreasing one's taxable income through home ownership. Don't get me wrong...renting definitely has its place. However, I could've helped my financial situation at certain times in my life through owning a condo or house.

Sorry, the numbers nerd took over again, huh? My two cents; I'll hush now!!! :thumbup:

They took the personal finance curriculum out at the state level several years ago and now they are reconsidering that decision.

We are offering a personal finance class this fall - kids just need to know this stuff to get by in life. I can't tell you how many kids I help fill out their tax forms every year. Do their parents not pay taxes???

It is a scary thought that these are our future CEOs that we are talking about here. How is the kid that isn't taught how to balance a check book going to handle the running of a fortune 500 company?

Oh well, good morning everyone! I hope that everyone has a wonderful Sunday!