Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tempted to consume less protein shakes.

I am in my sixth week post op. I've finally found a Protein Powder I can tolerate and I've been starting every morning with a 280 calorie/36 grams Protein beverage, and that really helped me hit my protein goals. However, yesterday I did not have time to make my Protein Shake yesterday and I ended up feeling the same way (i.e. energized and not fatigued) and not overeating after, eating only 600 calories instead of 900. And I like that. I cannot help shake off how easy it was for me to consume 900 calories with the Protein Shakes so early and it made me panic.

Anyway, the day after, I've had a smooth bowel movement (I was constipated before), broke through the weight stall, and woke up feeling lighter. I was thinking maybe the protein shakes were making my problems worse. Does anyone else have the same thing? Would consuming a protein shake every other day instead of every day help even if I am not hitting my protein goals every day? Also I severely dislike Premier Protein now and anything that comes premade, I know it's less calories I just cannot stomach it anymore. It's too sweet.

Personally, I would be hesitant to cut back on my Protein. I totally get wanting to get yourself lower than 900 calories, but I think that lowering your protein would be self defeating. Where are those other 600 calories coming from? Can you cut back those instead? Or if you do want to eliminate the Protein Shake, can you make the protein up by adding unflavored protein to your savory dishes?

As far as still feeling great with less protein, I think that is normal. Protein deficiencies don't show themselves overnight. I became intolerant to whey protein and for a while was not able to meet my protein goals until I found alternatives. I did some reading at that time, to see if I could get away w a lower amount. What I found is that your body slowly pulls what it need from your muscles, bones and organs. So the effects most likely won't be felt until we get much older. That scared me, because being healthy and strong in my old age is important to me.

I am in my sixth week post op. I've finally found a Protein Powder I can tolerate and I've been starting every morning with a 280 calorie/36 grams Protein beverage, and that really helped me hit my Protein goals. However, yesterday I did not have time to make my Protein Shake yesterday and I ended up feeling the same way (i.e. energized and not fatigued) and not overeating after, eating only 600 calories instead of 900. And I like that. I cannot help shake off how easy it was for me to consume 900 calories with the Protein Shakes so early and it made me panic.
Anyway, the day after, I've had a smooth bowel movement (I was constipated before), broke through the weight stall, and woke up feeling lighter. I was thinking maybe the protein shakes were making my problems worse. Does anyone else have the same thing? Would consuming a Protein Shake every other day instead of every day help even if I am not hitting my protein goals every day? Also I severely dislike Premier Protein now and anything that comes premade, I know it's less calories I just cannot stomach it anymore. It's too sweet.

It may be that specific protein shake that is not agreeing with you , try a few other options...

An unflavored Protein powder added to something you are already eating would only add 60 or so more calories instead of 280 and still let you get daily protein.

This next sentence will get me a lot of hate mail but some doctors are a little overboard with the protein number they tell you to hit. I dont know what target you are trying to reach but try to add some powder to oatmeal or a yogurt you were eating anyway and see if you can get daily calories down to a number that makes you feel more comfortable.

You have to live with the choices and if they are making you uncomfortable you need to make adjustments to ensure you can do them forever. this is not a diet you do for a few months these are life long changes and you need to be all in mentally to keep it up.

That is a lot of calories for 6 weeks out. I'm at 10 weeks and average 700 and my RD told me this week that I should be at 600 instead. That Protein Shake seems high. Is it the Protein powder or what you're mixing it with? Personally, the protein goal is the only real goal other than fluids my program is concerned with. Protein is important for maintaining muscle, and reaching that goal consistently is supposed to be helpful in minimizing Hair loss. That being said, most goals at this point would be 60 gr, not sure what you're trying to reach. Some good stuff in previous comments - is there a way to up your protein at other meals? If you don't like protein powder, can you add nonfat dry milk powder to Soups or oatmeal or other foods to add additional protein? Given the relatively small amounts you are likely eating at this point, a protein shake might be your best bet.

4 hours ago, allwet said:

An unflavored Protein Powder added to something you are already eating would only add 60 or so more calories instead of 280 and still let you get daily Protein.

This next sentence will get me a lot of hate mail but some doctors are a little overboard with the Protein number they tell you to hit. I dont know what target you are trying to reach but try to add some powder to oatmeal or a yogurt you were eating anyway and see if you can get daily calories down to a number that makes you feel more comfortable.

You have to live with the choices and if they are making you uncomfortable you need to make adjustments to ensure you can do them forever. this is not a diet you do for a few months these are life long changes and you need to be all in mentally to keep it up.

I am glad that you said it before me. I am 6 months post op in a few weeks. I started out going crazy over protein goals and my doctor, at my second visit when I was healed and on solids, told me to stop. His view on the protein is that it is a number that was developed with no real solid reasoning behind it. Before anyone gets crazy about my doctor HE IS EXCELLENT. He is one of the top teaching surgeons in Houston and I can't say enough about him. I started out at 215 and am now 148.5 as of this morning and I feel terrific. My eating plan is clean eating. End of story. I also eat my protein first and then move on to vegetables and last carbs. I can tell you right now I barely eat carbs. I don't eat red meat because I just can't handle it and I don't drink alcohol. If I can "pick it, pluck it or kill it" I can eat it. I will start back in he gym this week. I was ahead of the curve this last 6 months and I have been able to walk but my doc didn't want me in the gym until around 6 months because I needed to be ready and feeling strong enough to get in there. Side note- I have lost very very little hair. I have always been a shedder and it just increased a little starting last month. Just thought i would share because I know the feeling of feeling like a failure immediately post op because you can't keep up with the goals and you are already incredibly emotional and I felt a loss lift when I was given simple instructions that's i could live th for the rest of my life.

However, yesterday I did not have time to make my Protein Shake yesterday and I ended up feeling the same way (i.e. energized and not fatigued) and not overeating after, eating only 600 calories instead of 900. And I like that. I cannot help shake off how easy it was for me to consume 900 calories with the Protein Shakes so early and it made me panic.

My doc wanted us to get to 1000 calories/day as soon as possible. Says we are resetting our metabolism and eating below this will slow down weight loss long term. I’m 4 weeks out and doing about 900 per day.

I’ve done a lot of research on this because there are obviously varying opinions but this seems to be working for me.