Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Stories

I am so glad to hear everything went well for you. I'm feeling a little worse today then yesterday but still no terrible pain. Just some sharp pains around the port site. Take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Nessa: I am also a little more sore today than yesterday. But I have to share this with y'all! I read on the steri strip thread that a back rub would help with the gas. So I lay down across the middle of my bed and my husband straddled my legs (it was strictly platonic! :) ) and he gave me a back rub, pushing from my lower back upward. Then he went downstairs and I stayed on my tummy. First, this was a completely pain-free position that I hadn't even tried so I was very relaxed staying there. But second, over the next hour or so, the gas started bubbling up and finding its way out. After awhile, I rolled over on my side and that caused some more gas to move out. Oh, my, I feel so much better. My abdomen isn't as sore or tight. I've asked my husband to do it again before bedtime. He's not going to sleep in our room again so I'll have the privacy I need. :)

I feel like I've passed the worst and now I'm on my way to normal again!

Longhorn - I had my hubby rub my back and it did seem to bring up some gas. I am feeling much better today than yesterday. That sharp pain I was having on the left side is gone. Now I am just feeling pressure in my chest which I know is gas. I've been moving around cleaning my house all morning so I am hoping it goes away soon.

Bobbi glad to hear from you and to hear that your surgery went well.

Longhorn sounds like you are doing good today too, that's good news.

Vanessa I hope that gas goes away. I am lactate intolerable and I fear the gas pain after surgery. I have the most painful gas at times, that will not move.

Hey again! I had my surgery yesterday and I'm feeling way better than I expected. The surgery lasted 30 minutes and when I woke up I felt a little tightness in my chest but nothing horrible. I asked for some pain meds and she gave me some Demerol right away. I was wide awake immediately after the surgery, got myself dressed, had some Water, and went back to my Brother's place. I've been trying to walk for 10mins every hour and have had very little shoulder pain from gas. When I do feel shoulder pain a heating pad takes it away immediately. I've found that I am most comfortable sitting up so I've been sleeping on the couch sideways in a sitting position and that has felt great. Overall, I feel very little pain except when I get up and move around a lot the port incision hurts a little, but it's managable pain. I'd say the fear of the unknown of how I was going to feel after the surgery was worse than the surgery itself. I know that everyone's experience is a little different, but for me personally, this isn't bad at all.

Congrats to those of you who had the surgery already and good luck to those of you whose surgery is coming soon =)

That's great, lizzie! It's good that you've found a way to be comfortable. I am also more comfortable in a recliner except when I want to sleep. A nap is okay but I've been sleeping in my bed with my body pillow and I'm comfortable.

It's been easier for me to walk today since I'm less sore. You may find that your soreness gets a little worse before it gets better but it shouldn't last long if you take it easy.

Take care and thanks for the update!

That's great to hear you are doing so good Lizzie ! Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Today I am feeling really good! I think I have managed to get rid of all my gas and have started sipping on creamy Soups.

Longhorn,

I've been trying to prepare myself for the fact that my incisions may get a little more sore. The one where the port is was bleeding a little last night probably becasue of the location (it's on my lower stomach, RIGHT above my umm pubic area? lol for a lack of a better way to put it) and that made it sting for a little but it went away quickly. I tried sleeping in a bed last night but my incisions became really painful and I felt like a couldn't breathe for some reason. So I'll be sticking to the couch for the next few days. I'm actually going to take the subway to the mall and go shopping tomorrow with my mom and brother, that's how great I feel. I know I have to try not to over do it though. Do you find that food still appeals to you? I'm not overly hungry, but if you put something yummy in front of me I'd definitely want to eat it.

No, I'm not interested in food at all right now. It isn't unappealing but it isn't appealing either.

You must be doing great because I can't imagine leaving the house yet for any length of time. I may be babying myself but that's okay. :confused:

Take care!

You just had surgery, you're allowed to baby youself =) I flew to Toronto from Nova Scotia so I want to enjoy myself a little while I'm here visiting my brother. It's only been a day but I'm tired of being couped up and I want to shop!! lol

Glad you sound like your doing well Lizzie. I thought about going to a bird show today and walk around a bit but it is clear across town (Pasadena TX) but the pickup truck ride there didn't sound all too keen.

Well congratulations on your speedy recovery.

Hi,

I have been extra sleepy today and a little more gas than yesterday. I have found that I have to have those GasX strips around me all the time. As soon as I get a gas pain (mostly in my chest) if I take a strip it goes away fast.

I had my surgery yesterday! Everything is going good. I am a little sore, but bearable. I stayed in the hospital last night, because that is what the insurance wanted. I had scr tissue on my liver that had to be removed and my band was stitched on the back side instead of the front. I do not know why I had the scar tissue on my liver, but I guess it is fixed soit is ok! I am so happy that I had the surgery done! I can not wait to start loosing weight! Good luck to everyone that is heading into surgery soon!

Great news, Pam! Now that I'm near the end of day 3, I am feeling so much better! I think I could go to work tomorrow if I had to but fortunately, I don't have to go back until Tuesday. So take it easy and baby yourself and you'll be fine. :clap2: