Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Stories

So glad to hear that you are both doing reasonably well, in fact you both sound great:)

I am glad it is all done for you and that you both are home and on the road to recovery. It is great to hear someone doing so well afterwards, since I am out patient I wanted to hear the good stories...LOL

I saw the surgeon today and he said that my abnormal EKG was most likely due to lead placement being off and not to worry. I should ace my stress test in the am he said.....Hope he is right:)

Good Luck Ladies and hope to talk with you later when you both are not so sleepy!!

Longhorn - I asked my doctor Tuesday if he could call in something earlier and he said that he could not call in any pain medicine when I didn't need it yet. Oh well, it will be her shortly. I will be off to la la land when I take it.

Andi - Thanks for all your kind words and support. I will keep everyone posted on my progress!

But I have a question -- how do you sleep, sleep, sleep and walk, walk, walk, at the same time? :)

LOL! Well, if you take enough of your pain meds, that might just work out ok! Smarty! You know what I mean. LOL! You really are feeling pretty good, aren't you?! Little Miss Sassy!

So glad to hear that you are both doing reasonably well, in fact you both sound great:)

I am glad it is all done for you and that you both are home and on the road to recovery. It is great to hear someone doing so well afterwards, since I am out patient I wanted to hear the good stories...LOL

I saw the surgeon today and he said that my abnormal EKG was most likely due to lead placement being off and not to worry. I should ace my stress test in the am he said.....Hope he is right:)

Good Luck Ladies and hope to talk with you later when you both are not so sleepy!!

Kristin - Thanks! I hope all goes well with your stress test.

LOL! Well, if you take enough of your pain meds, that might just work out ok! Smarty! You know what I mean. LOL! You really are feeling pretty good, aren't you?! Little Miss Sassy!

Yes, I'm feeling good but I was also serious! I really want to avoid those gas pains! :) I'm trying to balance the two -- take a nap, walk around, repeat. :faint:

Congrats Longhorn on your surgery.

Congrats Vanessa on your surgery.

I have a question is there anything you wished you had done prior to the surgery? Anything you recommend?

Congrats Longhorn on your surgery.

Congrats Vanessa on your surgery.

I have a question is there anything you wished you had done prior to the surgery? Anything you recommend?

Thanks, sunshiny!

I can't think of anything yet but I will tell you that I AM glad that I had my doctor call in my pain reliever so that I could pick it up yesterday. I took some as soon as I got home and that may be one reason my pain hasn't been too bad. This was actually coltonwade's idea. She said some pharmacies don't always have the liquid pain relievers in stock and might have to order it.

I was pretty well-prepared. Here are the things I've used so far:

Heating pad

Pillow for the ride home (and I was more comfortable with it in recovery)

Carmex at the hospital -- my lips were so dry and I couldn't have anything to drink until after the x-ray.

slip-on shoes

A "leisure bra" -- for me, it offers very little support but just enough to not be jiggling everywhere and very comfortable for the ride home.

Propel and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein -- what I'm living on today.

chewable Lactaid (I'm not usually lactose intolerant but the last time I had whey Protein, I was doubled over in pain. So far, it's working fine.)

Gas-X strips (they melt on your tongue)

A file folder with all my paperwork, including the new paperwork I got at the hospital.

Chewable Pepcid Complete. I have a prescription for liquid Prilosec but I have to get approval from my insurance company (and at $144, I decided not to self-pay!) So the pharmacist suggested the Pepcid in the interim. So that wasn't before the fact since we didn't know I would need it (hiatal hernia.)

Also, my surgeon gave me a bottle of adhesive remover for the tape residue. How cool is that?

And the recovery nurse gave me a stack of the little plastic cups to remind me not to drink more than that at a time. I had read about it here but didn't even have to ask for them.

There's a great checklist of these kinds of things as a sticky on the Pre-op and Post-op board but these are the things I have personally used so far.

You sound like me -- trying to think of everything! :bounce:

How exciting!! :clap2::clap2: Congrats to both of you. You made it!! You're an inspiration to all of us who are still waiting.

sleep well!! :whoo:

How exciting!! :clap2::clap2: Congrats to both of you. You made it!! You're an inspiration to all of us who are still waiting.

sleep well!! :whoo:

Thanks, Tralynn!

I hope there are many surgery stories that are as positive as Nessa's and mine! :)

Thanks Longhorn, you reminded me of things I didn't even think about. Get some rest and have a speedy, healthy recovery.

The gas moving around in my stomach -- I finally figured out what it feels like!

It feels like a baby's foot pushing on my uterus! It's been more than 23 years since I carried a baby inside but you don't forget that feeling -- especially when one of those pregnancies ended up being 15-1/2 pounds of twins! ;)

My surgery was yesterday, Nov 1, and went well. I am finally awake enough to do this. I didn't get home until 6:30 last night. There were three or four people before me and I was the last person. Everyone else but me had a hernia repair. I guess that's more common than I knew. I have very little pain and it is just at the port side. Very little gas which I have taken the GasX strips for, no gas in my arm. I too got a heprin shot in the belly before they took me to the operating room where I got my margarita. After it was over they put me in front of a xray machine and gave me a little cup with barium (not bad at all) told me to drink it all and we both watched it go through my new buddy (band). Went to the pharmacy on the way home and my DH went in to take care of that. The pain medicine kept me pretty sleepy last night. I haven't taken any today, don't need it. They also gave me supositories in case I get nauseated which hasn't happened yet and I don't expect it. I called the doc and set up my next appointment for Nov. 7. I had half a cup of coffee this morning and since then I have been drinking Water and chicken broth. The doctor said I can graduate to jellow, pudding, etc. tomorrow. I get to take a shower tomorrow too, that's when I will really feel like a human again.

I think that covers it, if I think of anything else I will report again. Hope Elizabeth did well today and anyone else I missed. Please excuse if I forgot, my mind is still a little foggy.

Bobbi

I am so glad to hear everything went well for you. I'm feeling a little worse today then yesterday but still no terrible pain. Just some sharp pains around the port site. Take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thank you Nessa and a speedy recovery to you too.

Bobbi

My surgery was yesterday, Nov 1, and went well. I am finally awake enough to do this. I didn't get home until 6:30 last night. There were three or four people before me and I was the last person. Everyone else but me had a hernia repair. I guess that's more common than I knew. I have very little pain and it is just at the port side. Very little gas which I have taken the GasX strips for, no gas in my arm. I too got a heprin shot in the belly before they took me to the operating room where I got my margarita. After it was over they put me in front of a xray machine and gave me a little cup with barium (not bad at all) told me to drink it all and we both watched it go through my new buddy (band). Went to the pharmacy on the way home and my DH went in to take care of that. The pain medicine kept me pretty sleepy last night. I haven't taken any today, don't need it. They also gave me supositories in case I get nauseated which hasn't happened yet and I don't expect it. I called the doc and set up my next appointment for Nov. 7. I had half a cup of coffee this morning and since then I have been drinking Water and chicken broth. The doctor said I can graduate to jellow, pudding, etc. tomorrow. I get to take a shower tomorrow too, that's when I will really feel like a human again.

I think that covers it, if I think of anything else I will report again. Hope Elizabeth did well today and anyone else I missed. Please excuse if I forgot, my mind is still a little foggy.

Bobbi

Glad to hear from you, Bobbi! Your experience sounds very similar to mine only I did have the hernia repair and I asked for a mimosa instead of a margarita since it was only 7 a.m. :)

I'm glad you're feeling so well! Check in again when you come out of the fog! :)