Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Stories

It is our big month!!! I'm getting so excited for everyone!!! I've got butterflies this morning. I think it's because so many of our group is going in today and tomorrow. Wow!

I have a great book suggestion, by the way. Go and buy "The Secret" and read it during your recovery. If you can get the DVD to go with it, do that too. Watch the DVD first and then read the book. It's a little cheesy, but try to overlook that and just take the message from it. "The Universe sends into your life that which you truly want." So be careful what you focus on and what you ask for. Send out the message of quick and easy recovery from surgery and successful weight loss.

Here we all go on our new life journeys!! I'm thinking of you all and sending you all good, healing, healthy, happy thoughts!!!!!

Well, the November 1 bandsters are probably all done surgery. Can't wait to hear from y'all!!!

Linda

I'm back! My surgery was 7 a.m. and I got home at about 1:30. I'm all set up in the La-Z-Boy in my bedroom and I'm ready to talk!

Actually, I might get a little sleepy as I just took some Tylenol with codeine. I want to keep walking but I've been up since 5 a.m.! :)

Everything went great! I had a hiatal hernia that Dr. Ganta fixed while he was in there. He gave me a prescription for Prilosec but my insurance company has to approve so I may use the OTC version first. I've got a call into my doctor's office right now.

They gave me about a dozen of those tiny cups and I've got four bottles of Propel ready to go. At some point, I'm supposed to have some Protein but it will definitely be later!

Ask any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer. I'm feeling the painkiller already!

Take care and good luck!

Longhorn: I was telling Dianne <in another Forum> that I was really nervous about this being an "Outpatient" procedure, but shoot! You seem like you're doing GREAT! How long did the procedure take? Are you having to do Heparin shots? With all of us having different pre and post op diets, I wasn't sure if this was a common part of the whole thing for everyone. Wow... I just can't get over that you're so awake and that you sound like you're feeling pretty doggone good! That's so completely and totally encouraging!!!!

I was told I only have to have one heparin shot a few moments before the surgery for making sure I don't get any leg clots. I was also told it is a bit painful. I've had lots of shots in my life and am not too concerned. I've not had any legs clots and don't want to start now!!!

Hi!

Yes, they gave me a heparin shot before surgery -- tiny needle, no pain. They also put compression "stockings" on me -- just some wraps with Velcro. During surgery is when they "compressed" but I was out and didn't feel it, of course.

Hey Everyone! I am home and feeling really good! I got to the hospital for 7:30 and was in the operating room around 9:30. The surgery took about an hour. I also had a hiatal hernia which my surgeon repaired. After I woke up I am was feeling pretty rough and felt relly nauseated so the nurse gave me some demerol and Phenergan. That knocked me out for about an hour and when I woke up I felt much better. I had to sip 4-6 little cups of liquid, get up and walk around the hospital and use the bathroom before I was able to come home. I did all of that within an hour and a half and was ready to come home. So far I am feeling really good. Just some soreness which of course is to be expected. I am waiting on my pain medication to be filled so I am not really tired right now. So, all and all the surgery was not bad at all. Now, here comes the rough part. If any of you have any question feel free to ask.

Longhorn - I am glad to hear that everthing went well! We are going to have to keep in touch and compare results.

Vanessa

Vanessa! So glad to hear your surgery went well. We're all so proud of you!!!!

All, I actually have to give myself Heparin injections every 8 hours for 2 weeks post-op. They have all of their patients do this I guess. At my last appointment, the nurse had me give myself a shot of saline <into my belly area> so that I could prove to her I could do it. I'm not worried about it. My husband pretty much turned GREY when I asked if he would be able to help me if I found I was having trouble with it. That would be a big, resounding no. What he lacks in medical fortitude, he makes up for in so many other ways. Hehehe...

Thanks Andi! I got one shot of Heparin in my stomach right before surgery. It was a small needel and hardly no sting at all so it shouldn't be to bad that you have to give them to yourself.

The incision by the port is really starting to hurt. My hubby just left to get my pain medication so I am looking forward to my liquid vicodine and some more rest!

nessa, longhorn ... great to "see" you both back. I have a question. Did you have to do the barium swallow and go to radiology before you left to make sure the band is not to tight and in the right spot? My doc told me that I would have to do it. I can't imagine ...

Vanessa - I'd heard that the port incision is probably going to be the more painful since they had to cut a little more into your stomach muscles. Take it easy and sleep, sleep, sleep!! We'll chat more with you in the coming days so let us know how you're holding up. Sending you all kinds of good, healing thoughts!!!!

Thanks Andi! I got one shot of Heparin in my stomach right before surgery. It was a small needel and hardly no sting at all so it shouldn't be to bad that you have to give them to yourself.

The incision by the port is really starting to hurt. My hubby just left to get my pain medication so I am looking forward to my liquid vicodine and some more rest!

Hi, Nessa! Glad to hear everything went well for you, too!

I wanted to get a headstart on the pain so I had my doctor phone in my prescription to my pharmacy and picked it up yesterday. But you'll get yours soon enough and I know it will help.

I'll look forward to watching how similar our experiences are! Take care, Sweetie! :hug:

nessa, longhorn ... great to "see" you both back. I have a question. Did you have to do the barium swallow and go to radiology before you left to make sure the band is not to tight and in the right spot? My doc told me that I would have to do it. I can't imagine ...

Yes, I did, but it's a very small amount and was really easy. Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten that I did it!

I didn't have to do this. I guess every doctor is differnt.

Vanessa - I'd heard that the port incision is probably going to be the more painful since they had to cut a little more into your stomach muscles. Take it easy and sleep, sleep, sleep!! We'll chat more with you in the coming days so let us know how you're holding up. Sending you all kinds of good, healing thoughts!!!!

But I have a question -- how do you sleep, sleep, sleep and walk, walk, walk, at the same time? :)