Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op stopped losing, gained a little????

Here is a good explanation of the early (three or third week typically) stall:

https://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php

The term "NUT" is a derogatory term, though many on the forums may not appreciate it, derived from the fact that many on the forums find that their RDs or nutritionists aren't prescribing the latest fad diet that can be found on the internet, so they refer to them as being "nuts" for being so "ignorant" about nutrition ("everybody" "knows" that you gotta do Atkins/Paleo/Keto or whatever is hot today, to lose weight.....)

Fundamentally, this initial stall is primarily part of your body adapting to the large caloric deficit that you are imposing upon it, and has little, if anything, to do with what dietary stage you are on - liquids, mushes, softs, etc. as even those of us who started out on soft foods experience it.

Also, it would not be unexpected for your loss rate to slow some once things pick up again, as once you get through this initial phase of depleting your glycogen reserves and actually start burning that stored fat, things shift a bit as glycogen (stored carbs, basically) burn faster than fats - approximately 2000 calories per pound for glycogen vs. 3500 calories per pound for fats, so you will be burning more calories to lose a pound from now on. I never had a notable stall at this point, but there was a distinct dogleg in my loss curve at right about three weeks.

I guess we best show respect to the nutritionists while talking in a forum. :rolleyes:. Dang! No slang or acronyms allowed. It might be considered offensive.

download.jpg

I am careful to always use the RD term out of respect for the dietitian profession. I have two friends that are RDs and have gone through considerable post-secondary schooling, testing, and licensing. A nutritionist, in many states, is an unlicensed, unregulated profession. It's okay if you choose to use the NUT acronym as I know what you mean. However, a Registered Dietitian might feel slighted.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

My nutritionist is a dietitian....and she's nuts. The woman has a million unicorns in her office and is so damned happy all the time I think it's feasible she eats pot brownies on the sly. My surgeon is extremely type A, and I think he's a little nuts, too.

A little madness now and then is relished by the wisest men. ---Willy Wonka.

Edited by Creekimp13

I joke all the time that I have a B.S. degree (Bachloer of Science).

Life is too short to take ourselves so seriously B)

My dietician is VERY intense, I want to trade for the unicorn lady!

I love my RD. I do refer to her as an RD out of respect for her licensure. But, I don't take umbrage at others saying Nut or nut. :)

Meh, to each their own. There's a bazillion diets out there and I reckon, many paths to the same goal. Maybe fewer paths to maintain that goal... ;) - but who am I to say? I'm just a schmoe on the internet who gets most of my wisdom from Charles Schultz and Dr. Seuss.

The 3 week stall is real people! :D Just sayin...it's a wicked beast with 3 heads and a forked tail and it whispers lies and deceptions in your ear!

And mine is gone (I think)! Woot! Take that you little bi*ch and suck on it! Down 1.4lbs since my stall... :D . The crops are saved and so is everyone around me.

12 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

And mine is gone (I think)! Woot! Take that you little bi*ch and suck on it! Down 1.4lbs since my stall... :D . The crops are saved and so is everyone around me.

You are a hoot! :lol:

Soooooo happy that you've broken the cursed stall!! How long did it last?

1 minute ago, Apple203 said:

You are a hoot! :lol:

Soooooo happy that you've broken the cursed stall!! How long did it last?

From 3.16.18 (the day of deep sadness and atonement) to yesterday, 3/22/16. :) I was officially 1 lb down from "that weight of serious grief." But, as a wise philosopher once said, I think it was Dr. Seuss or Mr. Rogers, "It's not the days in the stall, it's the number of bodies you hid during it, that counts."

Edited by FluffyChix