Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Successful surgery but able to eat too much

I am almost 5 weeks post surgery and have had no problems at all. I had very minimal pain, and it completely disappeared within 2-3 days post op. I haven't gotten sick at all, was able to transition to full liquids, purée and then soft foods with no problem at all. I just had my 4 week post op check up with the surgeon and nut and they said I was doing great, having lost around 27lbs since surgery.

I have been cleared to eat anything really (anything healthy and on my diet and that doesn't make me sick). However I am starting to wonder if I can eat too much. I feel like I don't get full. I have been focusing on Protein first but notice I have to stop myself from eating. I have mostly been eating chicken or fish. I don't feel that super full feeling everyone speaks of after a few bites. For instance when I eat fish I can eat way more than the 100grams the nut recommends in a serving. I can easily eat like double if I let myself and never feel overly stuffed.

I am starting to wonder if something is wrong or if this will cause me to way overeat in the long run. I mentioned it to my dr and nut but both seems to not be worried since my weight loss was fine. However now that I am on real food I am starting to worry. Losing In the first month was easy on liquids and purée. Has anyone else had this problem of not getting full once starting solids? I have read several similar posts but all seem to say you will feel full once starting solids, which isn't my case.

I think the reality that you now have to depend more on self discipline is creeping in...and you're feeling scared about it. Very very common. Have seen a lot of posts expressing these same sentiments.

How many calories are they suggesting per day?

8 hours ago, Bryanmb said:

I am almost 5 weeks post surgery and have had no problems at all. I had very minimal pain, and it completely disappeared within 2-3 days post op. I haven't gotten sick at all, was able to transition to full liquids, purée and then soft foods with no problem at all. I just had my 4 week post op check up with the surgeon and nut and they said I was doing great, having lost around 27lbs since surgery.

I have been cleared to eat anything really (anything healthy and on my diet and that doesn't make me sick). However I am starting to wonder if I can eat too much. I feel like I don't get full. I have been focusing on Protein first but notice I have to stop myself from eating. I have mostly been eating chicken or fish. I don't feel that super full feeling everyone speaks of after a few bites. For instance when I eat fish I can eat way more than the 100grams the nut recommends in a serving. I can easily eat like double if I let myself and never feel overly stuffed.

I am starting to wonder if something is wrong or if this will cause me to way overeat in the long run. I mentioned it to my dr and nut but both seems to not be worried since my weight loss was fine. However now that I am on real food I am starting to worry. Losing In the first month was easy on liquids and purée. Has anyone else had this problem of not getting full once starting solids? I have read several similar posts but all seem to say you will feel full once starting solids, which isn't my case.

This is my concern as well. I am scared that I won't feel full. I have handled liquids so easily that I worry a little bit about not feeling full on a few bites of puree. Have you tried waiting for 20-30 minutes after the first few bites to see if you just have a delayed reaction to food?

I have the same issue. I weigh and measure everything and resolve that no matter what, I won't go back for seconds--even if I don't feel full.

I think some of us were used to chasing that "full" or "over-full" "stuffed" sensation. Ironically, that comes from engaging part of the hair cells in our duodenum, not really our tummy. Those "may have been removed? Or are part of the remnant? Not exactly sure of the true science behind that.

I've also read that our nerves have all been cut, so sensation now isn't what it will be in 2-3months down the road?

I also just listened to a doc on YouTube talking about knowing when you've had "enough" after VSG surgery. I would think it would also apply to us RNYers. He said, the second you feel like your hunger is extinguished push away from the table and plate--regardless of quantity. Well, I don't have that fine-tuned yet, but I'm going to start today to listen for "when is my "HUNGRY" light switched off"? If it's sooner than the amount on my plate, I'm going to push away.

Last night I ate (did I mention I weigh and measure everything?) 2.13oz pan sauteed shrimp + 1.23oz steamed asparagus + lemon wedge + .5oz avocado + .5oz Tomato wedge. I had a clean plate. Was satisfied, not stuffed, and literally could have eaten 1-2 more shrimp cuz it tasted so dang satisfying...

I feel like I overate despite my whole meal being 142cals; 13g protein; 7g fat; 5g carbs; 1g fiber; 4g net carbs; 1g nat. OCC. sugar.

I'm 4 weeks + 1 day out. I hear all these docs saying at 4 weeks, you're sposed to be satisfied on 2-3 bites--eating 2tbsp of food. And I'm like, I want to call BULLSH*T on that dudes!!! LOL.

I have had the same issue but have still lost weight. I was able to take in 10 ounces of liquid my first day out of surgery. It scared the nurse and she called the surgical resident who said as long as I can tolerate it I’m fine. At each phase I could eat more than expected (but still a hell of a lot less than I used to eat). I’ve always exercised though I’m not sure if this has made a difference. Crossfit for 9 years and now I’m into spin, Pilates, yoga and the like and use Equinox gym.

HW: 227
SW: 221 - 11/27/17
GW1: 185 - goodbye obese
CW: 174
GW2: 154 - goodbye overweight
GW3: 135
5’6”

Same here! I easily eat 4-5 ounces of Protein plus veggies with no issues and don't really feel "full" either. BUT the weight seems to be coming off just fine so maybe Im just being a freak about it. I think its the listening to others experiences where they are full after 1-2 bits and here I am eating like 3/4 cup or more. I see my NUT next week so Im asking then but in the meantime I feel like I should be restricting myself more....so Im with you on that

On 3/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, FluffyChix said:

I have the same issue. I weigh and measure everything and resolve that no matter what, I won't go back for seconds--even if I don't feel full.

I think some of us were used to chasing that "full" or "over-full" "stuffed" sensation. Ironically, that comes from engaging part of the hair cells in our duodenum, not really our tummy. Those "may have been removed? Or are part of the remnant? Not exactly sure of the true science behind that.

I've also read that our nerves have all been cut, so sensation now isn't what it will be in 2-3months down the road?

I also just listened to a doc on YouTube talking about knowing when you've had "enough" after VSG surgery. I would think it would also apply to us RNYers. He said, the second you feel like your hunger is extinguished push away from the table and plate--regardless of quantity. Well, I don't have that fine-tuned yet, but I'm going to start today to listen for "when is my "HUNGRY" light switched off"? If it's sooner than the amount on my plate, I'm going to push away.

Last night I ate (did I mention I weigh and measure everything?) 2.13oz pan sauteed shrimp + 1.23oz steamed asparagus + lemon wedge + .5oz avocado + .5oz Tomato wedge. I had a clean plate. Was satisfied, not stuffed, and literally could have eaten 1-2 more shrimp cuz it tasted so dang satisfying...

I feel like I overate despite my whole meal being 142cals; 13g protein; 7g fat; 5g carbs; 1g fiber; 4g net carbs; 1g nat. OCC. sugar.

I'm 4 weeks + 1 day out. I hear all these docs saying at 4 weeks, you're sposed to be satisfied on 2-3 bites--eating 2tbsp of food. And I'm like, I want to call BULLSH*T on that dudes!!! LOL.

Im worried about this also, I can eat about anything as long as I chew the sh!t out of it. Ive had a painful full feeling once or twice but after I finished eating, not during. I dont have the "ok Im getting full feeling" just all of a sudden its like STOP EATING.. lol but Im so worried that as it goes on Im going to eat too much...

OMG can hiccuping be a sign of being full? Was eating tonight, chomping along, something that hadn't provoked such a response, all the sudden I had stop eating because I had what I call urpie burpie hiccups, good thing I stopped because I started hurting and I think my dinner might have come up with another morsel. I have heard of you "after surgs" having something like that but unless it's my gastritis causing this learning curve I should not have this now.at this point. But I'm going to respect it because maybe my body is trying to warn me? And maybe I'll understand and know the teaching later. I have been diminishing portion sizes, chewing well to get ready for what will be later. I figured my worst bugaboo was going to be not drinking with meals but not this. Maybe my body wants me to learn this lesson too. I just don't have any other explaination.[emoji6]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app