Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

17 minutes ago, Sprinkles1 said:

I'm really not going to debate with you... but if you're a scientist you wouldn't have put a news article as a source to prove a point. lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Jeez you didn't even read it. It's from the national health service and gives you links to research papers as well as analysing how studies are performed - strengths and weaknesses. I guess that just went over your head.

Hahahaha! All 325lbs of me would argue that I don't get the munchies after a night with Willie's herb. ROFLMFAO!

Jeez you didn't even read it. It's from the national health service and gives you links to research papers as well as analysing how studies are performed - strengths and weaknesses. I guess that just went over your head.

Oh boy. [emoji28] You got me there! Because 2007 data published in a peer review journal went over my head. You're so right! Weed is terrible. Kills thousands of people a year.

Haaaa...

You have a good day. [emoji4]

Lol @FluffyChix get the bob Marley records on.

I have no problem with people putting whatever they choose into their bodies. I do think, people have to educate themselves before they can make a choice. There's no point pretending there aren't associated risks. Not sure why a certain someone @Sprinkles1 seems to have an issue with that.

And yip it's old cause it's long established.

Edited by MsTipps

I don't know, but the cognitive disconnect of this thread is hysterical. Look I think MJ is perfectly lovely. But the side effects ARE:

1. Mellow

2. Lack of motivation after smoking, cuz you know...mellow...hellowwwww...

3. Munchies and increased hunger.

For those attending the super morbidly obese ball like I did, you just GOTTA ask the questions:

1. Does this substance induce weight loss?

2. Do IIIIIIIIIIII need to be smoking this substance?

3. Do I need to be smoking this substance AT THIS TIME?

Just sayin...(and I'm not categorically opposed to MJ!) But, there's a reason why they dispense this substance to people who are starving to death from cancer and who are at the end of life and not wanting to eat.

Why make your road infinitely more difficult? You already are gonna have issues getting from 330lbs down to goal. Why make yourself proverbially walk uphill through the snow, barefoot, both ways while doing it?

Edited by FluffyChix

@FluffyChix You've repeatedly asserted that marijuana causes the munchies. Maybe that's the case for you. But that's not the case for everyone.

While the original poster asked about smoking, smoking isn't the only way to ingest marijuana. Edibles exist to avoid inhalation & problems associated with it.

3 minutes ago, DaleCruse said:

@FluffyChix You've repeatedly asserted that marijuana causes the munchies. Maybe that's the case for you. But that's not the case for everyone.

While the original poster asked about smoking, smoking isn't the only way to ingest marijuana. Edibles exist to avoid inhalation & problems associated with it.

Yes I get this.

But honestly the question is why if you are suffering from morbid obesity to the point that you need surgical intervention, would you put a drug in your body whose side effects for increasing appetites are WELL documented? I think people lie to themselves all the time! I can personally rationalize the CRAP outta anything I want--especially if it's something I'm addicted to!

Hell, I love oxycodone and live with a 5-6 pain level daily. But. It does NOTHING to help me lose weight. Why on earth would I take it daily? Just to reduce my pain level by 2pts and I feel ever so mellow after taking it? f**k no. I went through too much not to kick that **** to the curb and optimize the time I have in my honeymoon period!!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

45 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yes I get this.

But honestly the question is why if you are suffering from morbid obesity to the point that you need surgical intervention, would you put a drug in your body whose side effects for increasing appetites are WELL documented? I think people lie to themselves all the time! I can personally rationalize the CRAP outta anything I want--especially if it's something I'm addicted to!

Hell, I love oxycodone and live with a 5-6 pain level daily. But. It does NOTHING to help me lose weight. Why on earth would I take it daily? Just to reduce my pain level by 2pts and I feel ever so mellow after taking it? f**k no. I went through too much not to kick that **** to the curb and optimize the time I have in my honeymoon period!!!!

Have you read all the side effects of all the drugs they give us on the way out the door? MJ has far less side effects that are a HELL of a lot less dangerous than pretty much everything on the list. And you seem to be missing a MAJOR factor with the fact that MJ is the name that covers 2 very different strains and countless combinations of those 2. There are strains specifically bred for certain aspects. Munchies *does not* happen with every single version of MJ. I get what you are saying, or trying to, but it seems that you only have a basic overview of the drug itself. There are plenty of strains that have zero hunger effects at all.

I see a lot of half information getting kicked around, one sided views from sources that have agendas as well as "facts" that aren't 100% complete or accurate. So, unless you are a compassion center, or a grower, and your only information is from a selectively small medical group... then you are not getting the whole picture or any of the actual answers.

And I have to state, I'm not going to advocate either way. Just, having all of the actual facts and figures, is better than only having part of the story and trying to advocate one way or the other based on incomplete information.

Edited by Matt Z

Just now, Matt Z said:

Have you read all the side effects of all the drugs they give us on the way out the door? MJ has far less side effects that are a HELL of a lot less dangerous than pretty much everything on the list. And you seem to be missing a MAJOR factor with the fact that MJ is the name that covers 2 very different strains and countless combinations of those 2. There are strains specifically bred for certain aspects. Munchies *does not* happen with every single version of MJ. I get what you are saying, or trying to, but it seems that you only have a basic overview of the drug itself. There are plenty of strains that have zero hunger effects at all.

I see a lot of half information getting kicked around, one sided views from sources that have agendas as well as "facts" that aren't 100% complete or accurate. So, unless you are a compassion center, or a grower, and your only information is from a selectively small medical group... then you are not getting the whole picture or any of the actual answers.

Valid points.

And the good news is that these days it's cool for you to "Do You" and I will "Do Me". LOL. Carry on wayward son. They'll be peace when you are done!

On 3/16/2018 at 9:08 AM, Sprinkles1 said:

You're so right! Weed is terrible. Kills thousands of people a year.

That might be pretty close to the truth. One of its users decided to DUID in my neighborhood after smoking it. He plowed into a minivan at over 100 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. Destroyed an entire family.

That might be pretty close to the truth. One of its users decided to DUID in my neighborhood after smoking it. He plowed into a minivan at over 100 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. Destroyed an entire family.

That's very sad.. but alcohol does the same thing.

2 hours ago, frust8 said:

And himself?[emoji19]

It was several years ago, but as I recall, he was ok enough to be charged.

1 hour ago, Sprinkles1 said:

That's very sad.. but alcohol does the same thing.

True.

My surgeon briefly discussed smoking with me. People who smoke after weight loss surgery have an astoundingly high complication and mortality rate as compared to those who quit post-op. It is not the same mortality/morbidity rate that smokers have on average, but a much higher mortality rate specifically because of the combination of surgery + smoking. The risk is not for tobacco use in general, but smoking specifically. He reversed one patient's RNY because the patient couldn't give up smoking. How sad is that? Does "smoking" including smoking of all sorts? I wouldn't want to take the risk, personally.