Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who are more than 6 months out how much can you eat? I'm scared that I will only be able to eat a couple bites of food the rest of my life. I know the size of my stomach will be drastically reduced and eating less is the point, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life only eating a couple bites of food. I have my first meeting with the surgeon in a few hours and I'm so scared. I HAVE to lose weight, I'm tired of feeling this way but I don't want to do something so drastic that I never eat normally again. I'm not looking for a way to eat large portions as I've already stopped doing that, I just want to enjoy a meal and eat more than a couple of bites.

DR Potential Sleever

You're very normal.

But if you read, read, read, read, and read some more here on the board--AND fill out your profile stats, signature, and weight ticker so you don't drive us all to drink post surgery, you will come to understand that:

Your struggle will NOT be only eating 2-3bites of food for the rest of your life.

Your struggle WILL be to only eat to your surgery and not around your surgery. Your struggle will be to make healthy choices rather than "eating the same things" in "MODERATION" and "small portions" that got you to the morbidly obese ball in the first place.

The end.

You will be fine. The first few weeks will be hard and then after a couple of months you will be fine. I am six months out and do not feel like I am being ripped off when it comes to eating. The food addict in me wants more, but the sleeve won’t let me.

I think,once the column of our food will,be so drastically reduced it behooves us to make it as high quality as possible. I'm not sure about you, but there were times I acted like an amoeba, surrounding my food so it couldn't and wouldn't get away. There will not be any more of that. You will eat again, once the swelling and tenderness go away. But now there will not be the panic, "Ooh,I've got to hurry and eat this". You'll be relaxed enough to have a conversation, no more consideration of the starving children in Europe and Africa! I heard,that a lot in my childhood, explain how to me it benefited them if I ate the last brownie or cupcake? My mamma didn't use that line only on main dishes. I fail to see how feeding me all the leftovers benefited anyone but the refrigerator shelves not bending. If losing me in a crowd was a worry, my red hair, tall body and big fat rump gained me a fair amount of space out there! Now you will have an opportunity to enjoy a meal not merely exist through it.

I think my own journey may be picking up a little more speed, after being kicked to the curb February 20th, I went and enrolled at Ohio State's program. The dirty dogs at previous hospital promised to forward my records, so I signed a. Release of Information form, I am hoping they accept all prerequirements so I don't have to repeat them. I also signed up to meet with their their staff psychologist, let's hope he sees my worth and worthiness and pushes me on through. After that if all goes well, and I pray it does, I meet with them for an evaluation (see someone THINKS I have value) meeting where I meet my mentor through the process and we formulate a plan of care, hoping "Medicare" is still willing to pick up the tab, if i go to my secondary" Medicaid" I have to do 3 more months of consultation. Yuck! I want it over. I meet with the surgeon and then it is Surgery Day. I'm a little frightened to hope but I still am venturing forward. I can't go on as I am, every day I'm a little older and,i fear,closer to my death day. Do the best you can today and I'll try to do the -same. ,,,,,,,, ,,,,.... .....

Your friend the Wistful RnY- er

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I apologize if I'm driving all of you nuts with my questions, I know many of you here have been through it and may know how I'm feeling.

DR Potential Sleever

1 hour ago, DRoseman said:

I apologize if I'm driving all of you nuts with my questions, I know many of you here have been through it and may know how I'm feeling.

DR Potential Sleever

NOOOOO! That's not what I said. Not what I mean or meant at all. LOL.

What does drive a LOT of us nuts, is when we get asked questions and have absolutely ZERO information on you so we can't answer with any degree of accuracy. LOL. The only thing I know about you is that you have made 47 posts, have 27 likes. and your name and cute avi! LOL. That's all I know. How can we possibly answer questions for you or give you much needed and deserved reassurance? LOL.

I asked eleventy billion questions here pre-op--probably more than most. I will be the last person to ever complain about excessive questions. ALL questions are valid!

Edited by FluffyChix

NOOOOO! That's not what I mean or meant at all. LOL.
What does drive a LOT of us nuts, is when we get asked questions and have absolutely ZERO information on you so we can't answer with any degree of accuracy. LOL. The only thing I know about you is that you have made 47 posts, have 27 likes. and your name and cute avi! LOL. That's all I know. How can we possibly answer questions for you or give you much needed and deserved reassurance? LOL.
I asked eleventy billion questions here pre-op--probably more than most. I will be the last person to ever complain about excessive questions.

I re-read your post and realized what you were trying to say. My bad. I haven't put my weight in here yet as I haven't had surgery and don't have any other details besides my starting weight. Plus I don't really want to out my weight out there yet, I will one day when I'm at a weight that is less embarrassing and I feel like I've made some progress.

DR Potential Sleever

Fluffy.Chix-- you must be running off a computer, I'm on an android phone and we don't have those options.In my upper right corner I have Refresh -Report -Reply- Share -Web View and copy URL. Can I update off of any of those? And if D R. like me is on a Apple or Android she may not be able to either. I suspect that is why so many posters include their stats when they post on here.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Well, it's highly frustrating to expect us to try to help people without ANY information whatsoever on them. And these people NEED and DESERVE help. Cuz I don't know about anyone else, but I am not Clair E--effin Voyant. :(

I'm 3 months out....I am happier with meal times than I've ever been. I can eat a reasonable amount of almost anything.

From where you're standing...."a few bites" sounds like a torturous miserable meal. Been there. And yep...preconceived notions can be scary.

From where I'm standing....feeling really satisfied and full after eating about a half a cup of my favorite foods...is a wonderful feeling. Starting to crave and enjoy things that are good for me....is wonderful. Building a forever diet that I love...is wonderful:)

I do want to address something you said:

" I don't want to do something so drastic that I never eat normally again."

First off....drastic health risks sometimes require drastic measures. Never downplay how sick obesity leaves your body. You might not feel sick, but the effects are cumulative and they will catch you. Obesity is hell on your circulatory system, your joints, your liver, your endocrine system...it predisposes you to cancer. That's a DRASTIC problem.

Also....you fear you will never eat "normally" again. But you're not eating normally now. Normal eating doesn't lead to morbid obesity:( Come to terms with the reality that what you're doing now....is drastic, abnormal, and has consequences.

Everyone has a process. Everyone works through these questions and concerns at their own pace. Everyone who makes this decision needs to be fully committed and not coerced.

I wish you the very best in figuring out what you want. Your questions and concerns are absolutely welcome:)

Edited by Creekimp13

^^^This. So eloquently explained.^^^

You win the internet again today my friend!

7 hours ago, DRoseman said:

For those who are more than 6 months out how much can you eat? I'm scared that I will only be able to eat a couple bites of food the rest of my life. I know the size of my stomach will be drastically reduced and eating less is the point, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life only eating a couple bites of food. I have my first meeting with the surgeon in a few hours and I'm so scared. I HAVE to lose weight, I'm tired of feeling this way but I don't want to do something so drastic that I never eat normally again. I'm not looking for a way to eat large portions as I've already stopped doing that, I just want to enjoy a meal and eat more than a couple of bites.

DR Potential Sleever

Dr, the problem is none of us knew what "normal" was anymore. six plus months out you will look at food so differently and what you eat will be "normal" and it will make you happy. It will not be the same normal but no one in a social gathering will even notice. You will be normal, just a new normal, a better normal

good luck and best wishes

Edited by allwet

I'm 2 months post surgery and let me just tell you there are times when I really miss pigging out. Anytime someone mentions pizza a little voice in my head reminds me that I won't be able to polish off a full large pizza to myself anymore. I know though that this voice will go. The surgery is a tool for helping but out brains have had years of bad eating habits and they don't go away overnight. You just have to enjoy what little you do eat and in time it won't feel weird at all.

Sent from my HTC 10 using BariatricPal mobile app

Well, it's highly frustrating to expect us to try to help people without ANY information whatsoever on them. And these people NEED and DESERVE help. Cuz I don't know about anyone else, but I am not Clair E--effin Voyant. [emoji20]

As someone else mentioned on an iPhone; I can’t figure out how to do these things- the options just aren’t there! If you know how- share!