Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any issues with meat?

I’m almost 3 months out and I’m down 58lbs I was curious if anyone has or had issues with eating meat. It seems like everytime I eat any kind of meat it just makes me feel really heavy and uncomfortable.

THIS. ALL THE THIS. Also 3 months out and I feel like I'm tolerating fish way better. I can eat ground beef and chicken, I just don't enjoy it or feel good after I eat it. And I definitely don't want it the next day. I think some of it for me is mental (the chewing up of chicken specifically), but I do feel a difference in my pouch when I eat seafood vs. meat.

THIS. ALL THE THIS. Also 3 months out and I feel like I'm tolerating fish way better. I can eat ground beef and chicken, I just don't enjoy it or feel good after I eat it. And I definitely don't want it the next day. I think some of it for me is mental (the chewing up of chicken specifically), but I do feel a difference in my pouch when I eat seafood vs. meat.

I do too! When I’ve had seafood I don’t feel uncomfortable or heavy at all, it’s just normal. I had sushi for the first time on Tuesday and I ate about 5.5 oz of it and it was great but really any other meat just is awful.

When I have steak, I chop it up into teenie tiny pea sized bits...and then I chew the heck out of it. Works well for me:)

Yep on steak, it's like a rock in there yet and chicken breast is tricky too. Fish is fine, chicken thigh, ground turkey etc all good as long as it's small and well chewed.

I haven’t found any foods that I cannot tolerate. I kinda wish I did though. Lol it’s like that curly hair vs straight hair argument in my head.

Just red meat.

3 hours ago, Valarie10 said:

I’m almost 3 months out and I’m down 58lbs I was curious if anyone has or had issues with eating meat. It seems like everytime I eat any kind of meat it just makes me feel really heavy and uncomfortable.

Sounds like you have great restriction from your surgery. meats will get better with time. Try some meats that are moist or chopped. (Canned chicken, rotisserie chicken pulled pork)

Yes .. steak is so heavy on the stomach no matter how much I chew chew chew. I agree that seafood is a more pleasant for the tummy. I do eat chicken and pork but they aren't as bad as steak feels.

Havent had any issues with meat here except early on.

Fish is definitely the easiest though. And ground beef was a little rough until around week 8, since then I eat it ALL the time (like everyday or close to it).

Some suggestions to make it easier. For meats that can safely be cooked on the rarer side, that seems to make it easier.

For tough meats like chicken I strongly strongly encourage you to brine them as this makes them moist and juicy. Which will both make them taste much better, as well as be easier to eat . This has worked for me with chicken and very lean pork chops.

Havent tried steak yet, but ive never been much of a steak guy.

HI, I'ts been 13 yrs since my rny & I still have problems with all Proteins unless I excessively chew.