Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet. I keep slipping up :/

I'm on Day 3/10 of my pre-op liquid diet. And for the most part I'm following orders. Drinking my Protein Shakes & stuff. But in the afternoon, it's rough. So Day 1 I had a hand full of mini pretzel crackers. Day 2 I had a chicken strip and a teaspoon of cooked vegetables (I was preparing my kids dinner) I tried my hardest to not try it. I took one bite then turned into a craving monster. One bite turned into me eating the whole chicken strip (it was small, but STILL) and today.. Day 3.. I was doing good then I just had to have a hand full of potato chips. Damn it!!!

Am I ruined now?

Has anyone else had this issue?

How did you overcome it?

I plan to get on track tomorrow but honestly I can't stop the small slip ups. I know the day before surgery I will absolutely starve if I need to. But all these days prior.. are really tough.

I didn't go crazy though, just a small slip up.. I'm still getting my liquids in.

Make things you don't like to eat for the kids - I mean really! Were chicken strips worth it? chips? If you HAVE to eat something stick to some tuna salad - at least it is Protein and low carb and not likely to cause cravings or blood sugar spike. Drink Bone Broth for variety. It's hard to not want to chew, I know but we all had to do some version of this. And you can do it too....we were not super humans either. So buck up and throw out those chips...the kids won't miss them either - give them cut up apples.

Make things you don't like to eat for the kids - I mean really! Were chicken strips worth it? chips? If you HAVE to eat something stick to some tuna salad - at least it is Protein and low carb and not likely to cause cravings or blood sugar spike. Drink bone broth for variety. It's hard to not want to chew, I know but we all had to do some version of this. And you can do it too....we were not super humans either. So buck up and throw out those chips...the kids won't miss them either - give them cut up apples.

When you're hungry, it doesn't matter if you like the food or not, you are going want to eat SOMETHING LOL! It's not easy. I don't even really liked the stuff I just named but when your body in starvation mode, you can react. But I get it lol :)

I’m on day 5 of 14 clear liquid diet/protein shakes and I’ve been slipping up everyday also! I don’t get how some programs only have to do 3 days clear liquid or 2 small meals and Protein Shakes. I’m 225 and doing the two weeks clear liquid and have had a nonstop headache since starting it. So I do cheat with low fat cottage cheese and even chicken. I feel like everyone cheats but feel too shameful to admit it. As long as you get back up and start it all over again! Good luck!

I had to do the 2 Protein Shakes a day with 4 ounces of Protein and 1/2 cup of vegetables per day for 2 weeks. I ended up eating more vegetables than I was supposed to because I was STARVING. I did really well for the first 10 days and then I found a bag of French fried onions in the cabinet. Lol. They were the best fried onions I've ever eaten. We're human and if you're like me, love food. Mistakes are going to happen. Don't dwell on them. It's in the past. Keep looking forward to the end result!!

What helped me was during the day I drank the liquids and in the evening my doctor allowed 3 oz of meat along with certain vegetables. Remember you have to shrink that liver so the surgeon can safely do the surgery. I know it’s hard, but you can do this.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, lovepink21 said:

I'm on Day 3/10 of my pre-op liquid diet. And for the most part I'm following orders. Drinking my Protein Shakes & stuff. But in the afternoon, it's rough. So Day 1 I had a hand full of mini pretzel crackers. Day 2 I had a chicken strip and a teaspoon of cooked vegetables (I was preparing my kids dinner) I tried my hardest to not try it. I took one bite then turned into a craving monster. One bite turned into me eating the whole chicken strip (it was small, but STILL) and today.. Day 3.. I was doing good then I just had to have a hand full of potato chips. Damn it!!!

Am I ruined now?

Has anyone else had this issue?

How did you overcome it?

I plan to get on track tomorrow but honestly I can't stop the small slip ups. I know the day before surgery I will absolutely starve if I need to. But all these days prior.. are really tough.

I didn't go crazy though, just a small slip up.. I'm still getting my liquids in.

Day 1-7 I drank 3 Protein Shakes with Water (no milk, fruit, ect) and I ate 3 oz of lean meat with 3 oz of non starchy vegetables. Day 7-13 I stuck with just the Protein shakes. Luckily, you are only on day 3 but you need to get with the program because it only gets harder from here. I cleaned out my fridge and pantry of anything tempting before I started. Just remember, after surgery it will be down right dangerous to break your diet. You want to get the hang of it now before it is life or death.

My diet says to do 2 Protein Shakes a day, with small Snacks such as baby bel cheese, beef Jerky etc. Then eat a small meal of high Protein meats at night. This is only for 7 days. Then the day before surgery is an all clear liquid diet. I’m doing pretty well, but I get why you would cheat. If I had to be on this diet longer than 7 days, I’d probably cheat a time or two. Hang in there. All you can do is try your best.