Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about the emotional stuff

Hi All,

I am waiting for a date....hopefully November. I am doing well with my exercising but as I get closer to the surgery I keep having doubts about how I am going to handle the emotional side of all of this. What if I screw this up! I know I will be restricted but how do I get past the part of me that is a food addict. You know...the out of control part. I want this to work out so much. I am afraid of failing. Can I do this??? Are there others who feel this way? Any support or advise would be very greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,

Barb

First of all: relax. Take things as they come and try not to compare your progress with others, since everybody is different.

For me, it was hard at first when I look at my first meal after the surgery I said to myself: "What?!, how am I going to get full with that amount of food? ", and that worried me, but right now, when I look at someone else's plate I think to myself: "Wow! that's a lot of food! how can anyone eat that!"

Believe me You will get used to it. And once you start looking at yourself in the mirror and getting smaller, that will be an awesome feeling... at least it was for me

I too am feeling the same. I am just starting my journey, and I have no clue what the future holds! I am scared to death of failure, but I need and want this to work so badly...

So no, you are so not alone. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Hi BarbBee,

I totally hear you! As I read your message, it was if I was writing it. In fact, I posted for the first time on Friday (10/26) and had the same fears. I am in the 4th day of my liquid pre-op diet. It's nasty and harder than I thought it would be. I don't know why I thought it would not be a huge deal, with the whole food addiction thing you talked about. I am being banded in 4 days (Nov. 2) and I also worry about failing, especially with the holiday season looming. But I am trying my best not to think of failure as an option. My best to you and know that many of us feel exactly the same way you do.

Robin :boink:

Guest ZenGarden

I know and appreciate your fears. I struggled with the choice between lap band and RNY bypass prior to surgery. I'm 7 months post op and am just now beginning to feel restriction. I had lots of doctor drama (very conservative fills, idiotic staff) and am now under the care of a surgeon who listens to my needs. I am set for another fill under fluro with my new doctor on November 7.

You will see, as time goes on, how your band reacts with different foods and even during different times of the day. I seem to have more restriction early in the morning, and the band loosens up throughout the day.

Just be patient with yourself and the band and remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint :boink:

Thank you all so much for the support. It is a great comfort to know I am not alone. I decided when I feel overwhelmed about it all I will come back to the Board here as all of you are so supportive and inspirational. I have been having such a rollercoaster of emotions. I can hardly wait for a surgery date and want to get this party started...and then I feel like how will I ever lose 150 lbs. I must remeber one day at a time. Thanks again.

Barb

Hi to all of you who are about to get your bands. It really does work so try not to worry too much. I don`t have NEARLY the appetite that i had before the band. I have had two fills and did not get restriction until the second one. It was ok tho cause even without restriction i just was not very hungry. Best of luck to all of you and welcome!!! Donna

I had so much depression at first. I mourned eating large volumes of my fav food.< /p>

When I slid into size 18 jeans all my worries went away along with my plus size old self.

I know deep down inside I am still a food addict . The band still keeps me full.

edie

Don't worry! You will do great! After being banded you feel differently about food. You start to see the pounds fall off and your mind become clearer. Yes, you will have bad days, but all in all it's good! I went from a size 20-22 in August to a 12 today! I have control of food now! I love that! My whole life is better! I am healthier, I stand up for myself now and I look fantastic! Continue to look to this site for support. It helped me get through my bad days, too!

Good luck to you! Gotta love that band!!!!!!!!!

I also am waiting to hear if my insurance is going to accept this procedure and I am getting inpatient. Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks that my surgeon said they would go ahead and submit my case to the insurance. I am finding myself eating more than ever and am frustrated. How long have you been waiting?

Does anyone out there know how long the insurance has to answer after they have the files

I called my insurance company to check on the status, they said they didnt' have anything on me. I called my dr and the case worker called the insurance company and that very day I was approved. It doesnt' hurt to call.