Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You're a SLOW loser! (Don't give up!) - My story and message.

I am an over achiever. Always have been. Currently I work full time in a demanding but fulfilling job, go to school full time at a major university with a double major, preparing to graduate next spring and move right on to a joint masters program for my MPA and JD. What else makes sense? Having weight loss surgery in the middle of the holidays!!!

I did it. I got those nifty holes poked in me on December 27th, 2017.

I'm a tough lady. I'm just like my mama who has a high tolerance for pain I guess. My surgery was a breeze. Other than the feeling that was reminiscent of those mortifying middle school years when we were forced to do the sit-ups in gym class. So I had to maneuver myself out of bed, but no real pain. I walked and walked in the hospital. Not one bit of nausea and although it felt weird to drink, no nausea. Well, except for 2 minutes before I was released and I thought I was going to projectile vomit. I started sweating and then... BUUUUUURRRRRRRP. Yeah. That happened. If I hadn't taken the time off due to the holidays anyway, I would have gone to work the day after my release (stayed overnight).

Anyway, I have followed my diet and exercise to the letter. I walk 5 miles (treadmill) at the gym 3 times per week, I have approval to work with weights now so I am working with small weights (Amazon basics has a great CHEAP set 1lb, 2 lb, and 5 lb pairs), and I walk outside as much as I possibly can.

I've been gung ho since day one. So how much did I lose the first month after surgery?

6 lousy pounds. SIX. S I X.

I did have an immediate weight loss of 7 pounds the week after surgery (probably my stomach lol), but then... six in a whole month.

I was a size 22 when I started this journey. At the time of the surgery, I could squish my butt into a 20 but by the end of the day I would be in pain and usually undid my pants at my desk. I had moved to leggings (yes, they ARE pants) after the surgery because they wouldn't bother any incisions.

Still all moping around because of my 6 pound failure, I decided to try on my cute size 16 jeans. I know, 16 isn't a good goal but I had it as my first goal. They were out of the plus size, and on clearance.

To my shock, THEY FIT.

Not only did they fit, but they fit comfortably. I haven't been able to fit 16s over my thighs since about 2000, if not before.

How? Why? WHAT?

I am smart. I understand that muscle weighs more than fat. I knew that I had been really making an effort but from a 20/22 to a 16? WOWZA!

Had another appointment the next day and I spoke with my surgeon and he had them do all my measurements. I have lost SO MANY inches. He said that I had lost a lot of fat and gained muscle and my actual number weight loss will catch up and to not worry,

I did. Another month of it and I lost over 12 lbs last month! To some, this is slow. I have read about people losing 5-8 lbs per week. That's great and all but I am apparently the tortoise in this race. I feel great, albeit slow and steady, and I will win this race! My resting heart rate was high 80s/low 90s before surgery. Now I'm in the low 70s. My blood sugar has stabilized and I am no longer pre-diabetic. I have been taken off my cholesterol statin. I'll still have extra skin but I'm working hard at firming a lot of it up.

So don't get discouraged, friends. We all lose differently. Being a slow loser has some advantages. Just keep on track, stop worrying about the scale number that we have all been so conditioned to look at most and measure yourself. Don't get too down. Drink your Water. Get to that Protein goal. Drink more water! Watch those sneaky carbs! WALK WALK WALK WALK. Drink water lol.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. Call your bariatric team/surgeon. They are there for you.

I love your story, since I'm a bigger girl at the start, I should lose my blubber at a faster rate? Ah but I could also turn it into a turtle and be the exception. Stands to reason every tortoise needs a Granny, could be me! So I'll try to be grateful for any loss, it's called a journey not a sprint. Sprints are fast, easy and you hear about people doing them all the time. Only on here do you hear of people having their innards surgically realigned, saying goodbye to eating anything at anytime, but guess what? I feel comfortable here and want to be adopted by this wide family. Its the right time, I'm in the right place and doing it for all the right reasons. I've fought the diet wars now I can look forward to victory. Thank you for sharing your story.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

3 minutes ago, frust8 said:

I love your story, since I'm a bigger girl at the start, I should lose my blubber at a faster rate? Ah but I could also turn it into a turtle and be the exception. Stands to reason every tortoise needs a Granny, could be me! So I'll try to be grateful for any loss, it's called a journey not a sprint. Sprints are fast, easy and you hear about people doing them all the time. Only on here do you hear of people having their innards surgically realigned, saying goodbye to eating anything at anytime, but guess what? I feel comfortable here and want to be adopted by this wide family. Its the right time, I'm in the right place and doing it for all the right reasons. I've fought the diet wars now I can look forward to victory. Thank you for sharing your story.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I have been told that you will lose at a faster rate at first. Still, pay more attention to your improving health and measurements and if you are more of a tortoise than a hare, it's ok!

You got this... it is not easy but boy, is it ever worth this!

@Lufifi You just proved that the scale is only one indicator of weight loss! :-D Now, you need to start spreading the message!!!