Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coping Mechanisms

Hi AlI,

I have no stress reducing/anxiety reducing/comforting coping mechanisms anymore.

A cheese steak and chips..... Pizza........... none of it.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Beck53

I am still figuring this out but my program recommends getting up and taking a walk, reading, or doing some activity when the urge hits. You could try that.

After surgery, I developed a new passion. As I lost weight, I had to replace my clothes. This began small, by finding one outfit that looked good on me. But when I got closer to goal weight, I found that I could shop in traditional stores rather than specialty stores for big and tall. I bargain shop and many times buy clothes at 70 percent off. It is a lot of fun to bargain shop, I consider it an art form. Now imagine being put in the position that I could buy the latest designs, the clothes would look good on me and also that I had to replace my entire wardrobe. A perfect storm.

Here is another thing that I found. Many times they say don't buy clothes on the way towards you goal weight. Others shop at Goodwill or second hand stores. On the way down, I would buy an item of clothes that I could barely fit in. The kind that if you took a deep breath, you would pop a button. I took it home and a week later it would fit me like a glove. What a motivator.

I like it I like it. And day that you were less in weight you gained in spirt and determination. You could make it after all, wow what a center motivator. That's one of the reasons I always look for your postings, you've been through the fires, its refined you into a wise strong person. Thank you again.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Take up something that will keep you hands and mind busy - needlepoint, knitting, crochet - handwork of some kind. It requires you to focus your attention on what you are doing and keeps you from being able to put anything in your mouth at the same time.

I knit and do needlepoint. I've done those for years before but I find it helpful now when I get antsy and stressed.

Get a dog and either cuddle it or walk it 😊

2181106A-53AF-4BE7-8ADC-2533786290CC.jpeg

I find the most ridiculous exercise videos on YouTube and try to do them. Like silly dancing. It gets me laughing and is good for me!

1 hour ago, Beck53 said:

Hi AlI,

I have no stress reducing/anxiety reducing/comforting coping mechanisms anymore.

A cheese steak and chips..... Pizza........... none of it.

Any recommendations?

All great advice above.

Music with any physical activity. None of us get to avoid life's stresses. I used music as I walked to process my mother passing from cancer.

My workout time is when I process even normal daily stress/emotions. I use stress and anger to my advantage. I listen to more aggressive music (lol) I find myself keeping pace without noticing. I sweat and feel amazing after.

Also reaped the benefits of faster weight loss..Bonus!

Anything you really enjoy doing.

Sometimes I paint and draw and sculpt to comfort myself. I have a studio room full of plants. Plants and critters make me feel better when I'm stressing and suffering the triggers that would typically drive me to food.

Physical comforts can take the place of food for me sometimes. A hot bath. Foot massage. A snuggle with my hubby or critters. Making my bed up with the fruit of my sick blanket addiction, just to hop in and smell the fresh sheets and pet blankets. (I'm a sucker for a down blanket, with a waffle blanket, and a super soft fuzzy one...all piled together)...and down pillows)

Sometimes going out to the barn where I ride horses gives me comfort. (it's a school a few miles from me). The barn always smells so good, people to talk to, horses to fuss over.

Mostly, though, I call a friend, read, watch movies, walk:)

I write poetry, some of it pretty good, only minor publishing but someday I'll put it in book form, I crochet, knit, only do housework under protest, walk (when I don't hurt too bad) and write on Quota and Bariatric Pal. And I love silky or microfiber blankies, my 2 cats and my son.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm working hard to make exercise my coping mechanism or other physical stuff. If I can't or don't want to do formal exercise I will do something useful around the house. For example I cut and stacked wood for 3 hrs the other day, I couldn't move after and it felt great. Outdoor labor is great because it can be very physical, but also produce satisfying results.

Writing can be therapeutic or reading. I'm finding that talking to my wife (shocking I know) is helpful too.

Try a bunch of stuff and see what you like.

I'm taking a class on a topic I have always been interested in. It's been great and helps me pass the time. I've also been able to meet new people. This class ends in about 6 weeks so I'm looking for the next thing I'll do.

VSG 10/11/17 HW= 360 SW= 292 CW= 220.8 GW= 220 (6'5") [emoji256]