Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously Thinking About Backing Out

I should be counting my blessings, but after only one day of trying to do the pre-surgery liquid diet I have failed and I am absolutely freaked out. I tried the stupid Designer whey and I literally gagged three different times. The smell and the taste were so gross. What if I can’t find a liquid Protein that I can get down?

I guess this is why I didn't mind doing the six month pre-op dietician appointments. I learned so much from them, on what I should be doing now and what to expect.

My dietician told me on my first visit to find some supplements now, test them and find the ones that I know I can live with for the rest of my life! It did take a lot of trial and error, but I have been stuck on a particular brand now for months, and it's almost as if I don't even feel right if I don't have one or two a day.

Preparing for such a life altering procedure isn't something that I found I could get used to in the two weeks prior to surgery. This is however, my opinion for myself only. I'm sure there are some out there who didn't even do any pre-surgery things and are doing better than I would hope to.

I agree with you Lil Miss, I am a few months from surgery and already trying different things; like weaning off the trigger foods, and paying attention to the quantity of food I am putting in. I am trying different liquid drinks too, just so when the time comes I am not snowballed.

I have to work everyday through the liquid diet faze, so I can't afford to be squemish and sick while going through it.

Preparation is the key to everything, and more so this surgery.

Let me tell you that I am 7 weeks and 2 days from surgery and have already had one panic attack...I know I am making the right decision but as I am reading I am finding that _everybody_ has felt this way..... we can do this!!!!!! All of us!!!!!!!!!

Molly, I didn't read all the responses, but I did read your original post. You need this surgery. Do not back out. I was in a lot of pain before my surgery--almost disabled. Now the only time I'm in pain is when I fail to hit the gym and my muscles need a good stretching.

The lapband is soooo much easier than regular dieting. Yes, you will have to drink some nasty Protein. Big deal. Just think of it as medicine--that's what I do. I like Designer whey, but if you drink New Whey, you won't have to drink as much to get the same benefit. And sometimes I don't even need a Protein supplement because it's not hard to rack up all of your protein grams when that's about the only thing you're eating.

About giving up food. Don't think of it that way. There are some people who have a low tolerance for certain foods, but not everyone is like that. I can eat, literally, any kind of food I want (just not as much of it). And my band is completely filled.

It may sound bad, and I don't recommend this (because you won't reach your goal if you eat like this all the time), but I ate Halloween candy all day today. chocolate is a liquid. It's not good for you, but it's not going to stretch your band either. I had cheesecake, too. My office had a catered lunch. I ate ham. I ate macaroni and cheese...even some bread. You don't have to give up food. You DO have to make better choices on most days, but I think a majority of people here can let loose every once in a while without getting sick.

Don't be scared. Just do it. You deserve a better life.

Molly, I didn't read all the responses, but I did read your original post. You need this surgery. Do not back out. I was in a lot of pain before my surgery--almost disabled. Now the only time I'm in pain is when I fail to hit the gym and my muscles need a good stretching.

The lapband is soooo much easier than regular dieting. Yes, you will have to drink some nasty Protein. Big deal. Just think of it as medicine--that's what I do. I like Designer Whey, but if you drink New Whey, you won't have to drink as much to get the same benefit. And sometimes I don't even need a Protein supplement because it's not hard to rack up all of your protein grams when that's about the only thing you're eating.

About giving up food. Don't think of it that way. There are some people who have a low tolerance for certain foods, but not everyone is like that. I can eat, literally, any kind of food I want (just not as much of it). And my band is completely filled.

It may sound bad, and I don't recommend this (because you won't reach your goal if you eat like this all the time), but I ate Halloween candy all day today. chocolate is a liquid. It's not good for you, but it's not going to stretch your band either. I had cheesecake, too. My office had a catered lunch. I ate ham. I ate macaroni and cheese...even some bread. You don't have to give up food. You DO have to make better choices on most days, but I think a majority of people here can let loose every once in a while without getting sick.

Don't be scared. Just do it. You deserve a better life.

This is one of the best, last posts to read before going into surgery first thing in the morning! I didn't have any chocolate today since I'm on a clear liquid diet for tomorrow and I'm doing fine, of course, but I would be a little depressed if I thought I could never have a piece of chocolate again! Thanks for the reassurance and setting such a good example! I'll be thrilled if I follow in your footsteps! :clap2:

Derbygirl---did you have a spy camera on me today??? I too indulged in Halloween candy and cheesecake today!!!

I can also eat anything, in a new way, and in lesser amounts. I no longer toss something in my mouth mindlessly chew a couple of times and swallow. I now chew well, and eat a lot less. But I don't miss any foods, because I can eat any foods. Well--I did totally quit eating glazed donuts, they grow sooooo bad after I ate a couple of bites, I PB'd what felt like 2 dozen donuts---the mere thought gags me now!!!

It is an adjustment, but my quality of life is soooo much better, I still have food, including sweets when I choose to have them....I still can't eat a lot of them either. But the weigth being gone makes life so much easier. I cannot reccomend it highly enough.

Kat

Hi Molly,

I am not banded but I'd like to share with you what my experience was. I was definate that I wanted the surgery. I too looked into it for a while. When the doctor put me on Optifast in order to loser 10% of my weight, I started to be convinced that I could do this on my own (even though I've tried a gazillion diets in the past). I even went to the extent of canceling my Psych appointment. Well, I stayed on Optifast for 5 weeks doing really, really well, but then suddenly I started to go off little by little just like every other diet I've ever been on. I felt so confused as I vascillated from surgery to no surgery and back again.

Well, I decided to start coming onto this board and also the chat every day and really reading about lapband surgery and life after. I bought a book called 'Lifeband for Life' which was very helpful.

I can honestly say, that I have no doubts right now that the surgery is a right decision for me. I rescheduled my Psych approintment and am moving forward.

The one thing that happened that is negative for me is that my husband who was supporting my decision is on the fence now on whether surgery is for me. I believe that all my indecision scared him.

I wish you all the best in your decision.

Regards,

Alfie

To All Who Provided Support on this Thread...

As a follow up to all who really supported me during this really low point, thank you very much. With this forum and your encouraging words, I did have the surgery. It was a bit rough the first 4-5 days as I have never had surgery before, but I am 11 days out and am doing VERY well. I am hungry, my stomach swelling is going down and I can feel things pass through easier than before, but since my pre-op diet, I am down almost 20 pounds. Already my joints are feeling better.

I don't think I could have gone through with the surgery without all of you and I just wanted to thank you very much. I hit 268.8 today, and according to the chronology of my weight that I had to do to get my insurance to approve my surgery, I have not been in the 260's for 9 years...

Thanks again...

Well Welcome to Bandland!!!!

I hope we can continue to provide support and encouragement as you need it! You are off to a wonderful start---Congrats!!!

Kat

Molly:

You go girl! Now that the hard part is over it's time to continue making a better, healthier you.

Congratulations.

Sue

Molly, I am so glad to hear you are banded! What a wonderful experience this will be for you. Post when you need support. Its a wonderful forum for you. Best of luck. Good job hitting the 260s! Julie

For all of you considering this and being afraid...I know there are complications sometimes...but very rarely. But for most of us, the first week is the toughest and then you're off and running. Some trial and error but it isn't really that hard!!

Way to go Molly...for me, I was banded in january and use this board daily for support and motivation...and sometimes just some good laughs. It has been 10 years since I've seen my current weight, and that was with Phen/fen. It didn't stay off long.

I have always been able to eat just about everything, just in very small quantities. And of course I had to chew, chew, chew.

I stated once on another thread that before surgery I felt that one of my best friends (food) was dying. I am six weeks past surgery now, and at this point I feel like I can eat anything, just not that much. I enjoy the first couple of bites, and then it quickly becomes uninteresting to eat. So my best friend isn't dead after all. She's just got some competition from my new friends: the scale, my closet (after I got to throw out all the 2X's) and my bike, which I try to ride every day. Life goes on, and it's better than ever.

PS I use Hi Health Ultimate Meal vanilla ( 6 g. carbs, 2 g. sugars per serving). It tastes okay and tastes quite good when you add blueberries, strawberries, etc.