Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get to 60g protein and stay under 800

I shoot for 80 - 100G and routinely do it in under 500 calories. The key is Protein dense foods. Here’s a typical menu for me (I’m pretty boring so I eat almost the same thing every day and like it):

.5c egg whites with .5 oz mozzerella cheese (17g protein, 106 calories)
3.5 oz chicken (28g protein, 105 calories)
3.5 oz of chicken for dinner
I will usually have 1 - 2 Snacks of string cheese (7g protein, 50 calories) or cottage cheese (10g protein, 90 calories) or sigg yogurt (15g protein, 110 calories). Sometimes I just repeat a meal for a snack (chicken).

Recently my favorite meal has been a little higher calorie, but tastes great:
3.5 oz 99% lean ground turkey w taco seasoning (25g p, 140c)
.5 oz mexican cheese (4g, 50c))
.5 oz sour cream (.5g p, 30c)

The key is all calories are protein calories. My plan doesn’t allow carbs until 6 or 12 months. This does seem to be helping me maintain muscle mass, which is the goal of this particular plan.

I'll try to do one for you tomorrow @sillykitty. What stage are you at now? I'm just starting soft solids Stage 3 but I'm a week behind you.

I shoot for 80 - 100G and routinely do it in under 500 calories. The key is Protein dense foods. Here’s a typical menu for me (I’m pretty boring so I eat almost the same thing every day and like it):
I will usually have 1 - 2 Snacks of string cheese (7g protein, 50 calories) or cottage cheese (10g protein, 90 calories) or sigg yogurt (15g protein, 110 calories). Sometimes I just repeat a meal for a snack (chicken).
The key is all calories are protein calories. My plan doesn’t allow carbs until 6 or 12 months. This does seem to be helping me maintain muscle mass, which is the goal of this particular plan.
Your menue looks yummy. So no veggies till 12 months ? And the egg whites what's. .5c is that cup ? Thanks

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

That great! I just downloaded the app!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'll try to do one for you tomorrow [mention=333899]sillykitty[/mention]. What stage are you at now? I'm just starting soft solids Stage 3 but I'm a week behind you.

Yes, please post menu. I’m struggling also. I’m five weeks out and having a hard time with food, Protein Drinks and Water intake.
Not to mention the hospital clinic keeps telling me not to drink my Protein. They want real protein. No shakes or powders. Ugggg

Ok, this may be a week or 2 beyond you because of volume. But it's figuring you can eat about 3/8-1/2c of solid food. I don't know how much of a stretch for you that is, cuz I'm not having an issue eating my 1/4c in and I could probably eat 1tbsp more than that right now at only 11 days po. If you don't want to have your first brekky with Protein latte omit it, cuz you have enough protein from food anyway. That brekky gives you 56 calories, 10g protein, 1g fat, 1g carb, 0g Fiber, 1g net carb, 0g sugar--so it's little enough for a 10g protein boost in case your day falls to hell and you don't get the rest of your food in.

Brekky - 2c Protein Latte (2oz PP vanilla + 6oz Decaf coffee for each serving)

Elevensies - Egg Scramble (1 large egg=3tbsp, 25g Real Egg Whites=1 1/2 tbsp, 14g Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles, 14g BH Lacey Swiss cheese, 1/2oz chopped frozen spinach, 1/2oz chopped fresh mushroom, olive oil spray) This is about 3/8-1/2c of food.

lunch - chicken salad (1oz canned chicken breast, drained and flaked, 1/2 hardboiled eggs, chopped finely, 1oz 2% cottage Cheese, 1tbsp WF Chipotle mayo, 1/2tsp Dijon mustard, 1tsp Vlassic Dill Relish, granulated garlic, dried chives, parsley flakes)

2nd Lunch - 1 mozza string cheese, 1 slice Hillshire Farms Naturals Hardwood Smoked Turkey, Spinach Salad (1oz baby spinach, 1/4oz purple onion slices, 1/2oz avocado, 2tbsp WF Italian dressing)

dinner - 3/4 recipe chicken green bean casserole (recipe on my weight loss journey thread)

BTS-1oz GS apple slice, 2tbsp Peanut Butter Slim powdered Peanut Butter reconstituted with 2tbsp Water

Daily Totals: 699 calories; 79g protein; 30g fat, 26g carbs, 6g fiber, 20g net carbs, 5g natural sugars for the day

19 hours ago, ElseeG said:

First of all...thank you for answering my endless questions...!

I read about people staying at about 800 cal, give or take. How do you consume 60g Protein at 800 calories? Is it by eating nothing but beef and chicken all day? Lol. I’m already at 1200-1400 daily (and don’t lose weight), so I really need to go low cal...). My metabolism is slower than that of a sloth.

I was getting over 120 g of Protein at 1400 cal a day. I just got a phone call from my Dietician on 1 March and he told me to be sure not to go over 1200 cal yeah he said my range should be between 1000 and 1200 cal 120 g of protein. If you monitor your intake on an app it’s pretty easy to get to that amount. I eat three regular meals a day & depending on where my protein is I’ll have a Premier Protein bar or shake as a snack. Ideally you want to eat 5 to 6 meals per day at around 200 cal each. My range is 100 to 120 g of protein it’s lower for women of course.

6 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Brekky - 2c Protein Latte (2oz PP vanilla + 6oz Decaf coffee for each serving)

Elevensies - Egg Scramble (1 large egg=3tbsp, 25g Real Egg Whites=1 1/2 tbsp, 14g Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles, 14g BH Lacey Swiss cheese, 1/2oz chopped frozen spinach, 1/2oz chopped fresh mushroom, olive oil spray) This is about 3/8-1/2c of food.

lunch - chicken salad (1oz canned chicken breast, drained and flaked, 1/2 hardboiled eggs, chopped finely, 1oz 2% cottage cheese, 1tbsp WF Chipotle mayo, 1/2tsp Dijon mustard, 1tsp Vlassic Dill Relish, granulated garlic, dried chives, parsley flakes)

2nd lunch - 1 mozza string cheese, 1 slice Hillshire Farms Naturals Hardwood Smoked Turkey, Spinach salad (1oz baby spinach, 1/4oz purple onion slices, 1/2oz avocado, 2tbsp WF Italian dressing)

dinner - 3/4 recipe chicken green bean casserole (recipe on my weight loss journey thread)

BTS-1oz GS apple slice, 2tbsp Peanut Butter Slim powdered Peanut Butter reconstituted with 2tbsp Water

Daily Totals: 699 calories; 79g protein; 30g fat, 26g carbs, 6g Fiber, 20g net carbs, 5g natural sugars for the day

Thanks!

One of the reasons why I'm struggling with getting protein without protein drinks is I'm trying to avoid Snacks. Part of the reason I am overweight is eating when I'm not hungry, out of boredomor habit. So I'm trying to use this time when I'm not hungry to retrain myself and eat 3 meals only.

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Thanks!

One of the reasons why I'm struggling with getting Protein without Protein Drinks is I'm trying to avoid Snacks. Part of the reason I am overweight is eating when I'm not hungry, out of boredomor habit. So I'm trying to use this time when I'm not hungry to retrain myself and eat 3 meals only.

IMHO newbie opinion, that's an admirable goal that even Dr. Now would approve of! LOL. But when you can't even get your 3oz of lean protein in per meal yet, that's a very tall order. Like for me at my current stage, that would be equivalent to magical thinking. I can only eat 1/4c at a time. That's 1oz of solid protein by weight, shredded teeny tiny, to make 1/4c. I wouldn't meet my protein needs much less have to worry about calories at that stage. And if you're saying, no to Protein Drinks that becomes totes impossible? Or at least I don't see the solution. And since I'm a newb, that's entirely possible!

If you go on My Fitness Pal and look me up Jess9395 you can look at all my menus! I don’t track anymore so you have to to back to 2014 (had my surgery Dec 2013). Months and months worth to look at!

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/protein-chart.html

But definitely don’t forget plant based Proteins. Just put these up as an example. Low fat/cal high Protein meats are how you fit the proper amount in your diet. Eventually I’m going to try to steer towards more of a plant-based protein diet with less meat right now at this phase I’m still discovering. It’s a work in progress to say the least.

715766CB-2819-4832-A36E-2FA4D3754116.png

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

IMHO newbie opinion, that's an admirable goal that even Dr. Now would approve of! LOL. But when you can't even get your 3oz of lean Protein in per meal yet, that's a very tall order. Like for me at my current stage, that would be equivalent to magical thinking. I can only eat 1/4c at a time. That's 1oz of solid protein by weight, shredded teeny tiny, to make 1/4c. I wouldn't meet my protein needs much less have to worry about calories at that stage. And if you're saying, no to Protein Drinks that becomes totes impossible? Or at least I don't see the solution. And since I'm a newb, that's entirely possible!

No, totally agree! I am still drinking Protein Drinks. But there is only one brand/flavor a like, and a few I can tolerate. I know I'm going to burn out of them sooner or later! On another thread this was recommended - Bariatric Fusion Meal Replacement - Unflavored. Said it is flavorless mixed in most things. I'm going to order it and hope it really is undetectable!

1 minute ago, jess9395 said:

If you go on My Fitness Pal and look me up Jess9395 you can look at all my menus! I don’t track anymore so you have to to back to 2014 (had my surgery Dec 2013). Months and months worth to look at!

I’m doing that now & will friend request you.

Yeah I needed to supplement with Protein drinks and powders for most of a year. My goal was higher than yours (90+) but I couldn’t have met 60 until maybe 3 months.