Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Years Post Op - Regain is REAL - with photos

So, it has been a while since I've been active in this community, but I just wanted to share my story and my current struggle with regain. I still feel like having VSG WLS (March 2013) was the best decision of my life. I remember the first year -- the "honeymoon phase" -- when the weight just flew off! It was definitely a major adjustment, having such positive feedback from friends and family. Honestly, I hated the attention I was getting, because I felt like I "cheated" having the procedure. When people asked how I lost the weight, I usually tried to avoid telling them about the surgery, but I'm naturally and honest over-sharer, so I forced the words "weight loss surgery" out of my mouth, and cringed. Nevertheless, I became obsessed with losing weight, and living a healthy lifestyle. Before I knew it, a little over a year later, I had reached my goal weight (140lbs - lowest 135)! I had just turned 20 years old, and I was on top of the world.

For the first two years after reaching my goal, maintenance was a breeze. I would gain 3-5 pounds, notice I was snacking a little too much, and correct my actions, and drop the weight. Then, in July 2016, I met a wonderful man and shortly after we moved in together. For the first few months of cohabitation, I went about my normal routine, prepping meals on Sunday for the week, walking every day, and living life as usual. Then came a new "honeymoon phase" of our relationship. Date nights, eating out, spending the weekends in, snacking in front of the TV. I was so happy and in love, that my health and fitness goals went by the wayside. It felt like I blinked and all of a sudden, I had gained 20 pounds in a year. Every time I tried to get back on track, I'd drop 8-10 lbs in a month, and then my SO would insist on indulging in one guilty pleasure or another, and just like that, diet: derailed.

One month ago, I stepped on the scale and it read 163lbs, and I said to myself, "Enough is enough!" I had seen a lot of popularity of the ketogenic diet floating around social media, and since it was the only "diet" my SO would agree to try, we went for it together. After a month, I had dropped 6lbs, but I was having tremendous cravings for sweets. Not your typical chocolates and caramels, but I just wanted some fruit! How I longed for a banana... I quickly decided the "keto lifestyle" was not for me. I've since switched my focus to whole foods -- lean meat, whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies and lots of Water. I aim for +/-1200 calories a day. I've also joined Beach Body On Demand, and have been religiously "pressing play" on my Insanity workout program. It has only been a week, but since starting, my sleep has improved as well as my mood. Unfortunately, the scale started climbing! Today I weighed in at 158 (+2lbs). I've read a lot of forums that it's probably just water retention, and my muscles trying to repair themselves, but BOY, it is discouraging. I'm worried the gain may be due to an under active thyroid. Regardless, I've made a commitment to myself to press on and finish the 60-day "Insanity Challenge," and see where that leaves me.

I decided to revisit this forum, in search of support, and to see if anyone has experienced regain of this magnitude at 3+ years post-op, but I hadn't found much on the topic. So I decided to share a brief summary of my life post-op. Despite the regain, I still consider my VSG story a success. When I think of how far I've come, I realize I'm much closer to my goal weight now than I was before I was sleeved, and that's always a relief. It's time for me to get back to basics and use the tools I've acquired along the way to get me back on track. Weight loss & maintenance is truly a lifelong journey, and there is no "real" finish line.

progress.jpg

That's the problem with forums like these, the people needed the most (the veterans) are long gone. They take all the knowledge that they've aquired through trial/error and experience and leave. This leaves a tremendous void for those of us starting out and for those that need the valuable experience the veteran WLS people have. I don't have the vast knowledge WLS to help you in that aspect but I do have much in life experience.

The things that makes us succeed in most things that we do is research,planning and execution. We research the problem to find a viable solution. We then plan out on how we will will reach a satisfactory result and then we execute our plan. It's no difference with weight loss. You researched WLS from the operation to the maintenance phase. You planned for the operation and from your own words you planned out your meals on Sundays. You then executed the plan eating healthy, walking and living life. So, what changed? Your new relationship. No matter how much you researched, planned and executed you deviated from the core tenets that gave you much success. What do you do next? Well, the best part is you've admitted that you have a problem and the problem hasn't grown to the point of failure.

While I love my wife dearly I realize that for us to be successful we at times must take different roads. This is the case for you and your S.O. Until you get to where you are happy with yourself you should consider traveling separate roads as far as food is concerned. You stick to your plan and execution. Prep your meals, walk and still live life with your S.O. When you feel comfortable with yourself then walk the same path BUT be cognizant that you might have to jump off once in awhile to maintain YOUR happiness. Your challenge isn't unsurmountable and I'm sure that you will find a way to make it work. Now, my question I ask most veterans: Do you still have a restriction and if so, how much compared to when you first had WLS. Mahalo in advance for your response.

Congratulations on catching yourself before the ultimate fall! That's huge! You are still a success because you've kept more than 50% of your weight off. You're even just a success for catching yourself before the fall. Now just go back to the bariatric basics of Protein first and follow this. You'll be back under control in no time.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:02 PM, Danny Paul said:

That's the problem with forums like these, the people needed the most (the veterans) are long gone. They take all the knowledge that they've aquired through trial/error and experience and leave. This leaves a tremendous void for those of us starting out and for those that need the valuable experience the veteran WLS people have. I don't have the vast knowledge WLS to help you in that aspect but I do have much in life experience.

The things that makes us succeed in most things that we do is research,planning and execution. We research the problem to find a viable solution. We then plan out on how we will will reach a satisfactory result and then we execute our plan. It's no difference with weight loss. You researched WLS from the operation to the maintenance phase. You planned for the operation and from your own words you planned out your meals on Sundays. You then executed the plan eating healthy, walking and living life. So, what changed? Your new relationship. No matter how much you researched, planned and executed you deviated from the core tenets that gave you much success. What do you do next? Well, the best part is you've admitted that you have a problem and the problem hasn't grown to the point of failure.

While I love my wife dearly I realize that for us to be successful we at times must take different roads. This is the case for you and your S.O. Until you get to where you are happy with yourself you should consider traveling separate roads as far as food is concerned. You stick to your plan and execution. Prep your meals, walk and still live life with your S.O. When you feel comfortable with yourself then walk the same path BUT be cognizant that you might have to jump off once in awhile to maintain YOUR happiness. Your challenge isn't unsurmountable and I'm sure that you will find a way to make it work. Now, my question I ask most veterans: Do you still have a restriction and if so, how much compared to when you first had WLS. Mahalo in advance for your response.

^^^^This is such a brilliant response!!!^^^^

So, it has been a while since I've been active in this community, but I just wanted to share my story and my current struggle with regain. I still feel like having VSG WLS (March 2013) was the best decision of my life. I remember the first year -- the "honeymoon phase" -- when the weight just flew off! It was definitely a major adjustment, having such positive feedback from friends and family. Honestly, I hated the attention I was getting, because I felt like I "cheated" having the procedure. When people asked how I lost the weight, I usually tried to avoid telling them about the surgery, but I'm naturally and honest over-sharer, so I forced the words "weight loss surgery" out of my mouth, and cringed. Nevertheless, I became obsessed with losing weight, and living a healthy lifestyle. Before I knew it, a little over a year later, I had reached my goal weight (140lbs - lowest 135)! I had just turned 20 years old, and I was on top of the world.
For the first two years after reaching my goal, maintenance was a breeze. I would gain 3-5 pounds, notice I was snacking a little too much, and correct my actions, and drop the weight. Then, in July 2016, I met a wonderful man and shortly after we moved in together. For the first few months of cohabitation, I went about my normal routine, prepping meals on Sunday for the week, walking every day, and living life as usual. Then came a new "honeymoon phase" of our relationship. Date nights, eating out, spending the weekends in, snacking in front of the TV. I was so happy and in love, that my health and fitness goals went by the wayside. It felt like I blinked and all of a sudden, I had gained 20 pounds in a year. Every time I tried to get back on track, I'd drop 8-10 lbs in a month, and then my SO would insist on indulging in one guilty pleasure or another, and just like that, diet: derailed.
One month ago, I stepped on the scale and it read 163lbs, and I said to myself, "Enough is enough!" I had seen a lot of popularity of the ketogenic diet floating around social media, and since it was the only "diet" my SO would agree to try, we went for it together. After a month, I had dropped 6lbs, but I was having tremendous cravings for sweets. Not your typical chocolates and caramels, but I just wanted some fruit! How I longed for a banana... I quickly decided the "keto lifestyle" was not for me. I've since switched my focus to whole foods -- lean meat, whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies and lots of Water. I aim for +/-1200 calories a day. I've also joined Beach Body On Demand, and have been religiously "pressing play" on my Insanity workout program. It has only been a week, but since starting, my sleep has improved as well as my mood. Unfortunately, the scale started climbing! Today I weighed in at 158 (+2lbs). I've read a lot of forums that it's probably just Water retention, and my muscles trying to repair themselves, but BOY, it is discouraging. I'm worried the gain may be due to an under active thyroid. Regardless, I've made a commitment to myself to press on and finish the 60-day "Insanity Challenge," and see where that leaves me.
I decided to revisit this forum, in search of support, and to see if anyone has experienced regain of this magnitude at 3+ years post-op, but I hadn't found much on the topic. So I decided to share a brief summary of my life post-op. Despite the regain, I still consider my VSG story a success. When I think of how far I've come, I realize I'm much closer to my goal weight now than I was before I was sleeved, and that's always a relief. It's time for me to get back to basics and use the tools I've acquired along the way to get me back on track. Weight loss & maintenance is truly a lifelong journey, and there is no "real" finish line.
progress.thumb.jpg.5d8562f39f68cc6d84af7a1f522f1530.jpg

I have to say you look great at your current weight!! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 3/2/2018 at 2:02 PM, Danny Paul said:

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom. For now, my SO is on board with our new eating plan. He's even mentioned how convenient it is having everything planned out, eliminating the need for making dinner plans daily! I'm anticipating he will get bored sooner or later, and when that time comes, I will certainly remember your great advice. I hope to one day find a dynamic that works like you and your wife have.

As far as restriction, when I eat correctly- Protein first, I certainly feel limited. I can usually only finish 4oz protein and 4-5 bites of veggies/carbs. If I'm eating carbs only, I seem to be able to fit much more! As compared to right after surgery when eating bread of any kind made me vomit, that seems to be the only difference. I don't feel like my sleeve has stretched much if at all.

I'm so thankful to have read this.... I agree we need to keep hearing from veterans .... Makes me think and rethink my future journey... gotta keep my food FOCUS with my SIGNIFICANT OTHER also. Thanks to both of you for encouraging words to the rest of us .... and maybe not everybody will respond but it does open up everybody's eyes that have read this so you're encouraging more people than you know and that's awesome

Sent from my LGL84VL using BariatricPal mobile app

One month ago, I stepped on the scale and it read 163lbs, and I said to myself, "Enough is enough!" I had seen a lot of popularity of the ketogenic diet floating around social media, and since it was the only "diet" my SO would agree to try, we went for it together. After a month, I had dropped 6lbs, but I was having tremendous cravings for sweets. Not your typical chocolates and caramels, but I just wanted some fruit! How I longed for a banana... I quickly decided the "keto lifestyle" was not for me. I've since switched my focus to whole foods -- lean meat, whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies and lots of Water. I aim for +/-1200 calories a day. I've also joined Beach Body On Demand, and have been religiously "pressing play" on my Insanity workout program. It has only been a week, but since starting, my sleep has improved as well as my mood. Unfortunately, the scale started climbing! Today I weighed in at 158 (+2lbs). I've read a lot of forums that it's probably just Water retention, and my muscles trying to repair themselves, but BOY, it is discouraging. I'm worried the gain may be due to an under active thyroid. Regardless, I've made a commitment to myself to press on and finish the 60-day "Insanity Challenge," and see where that leaves me.
progress.thumb.jpg.5d8562f39f68cc6d84af7a1f522f1530.jpg

Hey pretty butterfly!!! First off hugs from Atlanta,GA. You look beautiful in all three pictures. I’ll be 9 years out this December and I will tell you WLS is a tool that does it’s job during your honeymoon phase and then after the honeymoon it’s all on you.

I’ve learned that with the post WLS life, our struggles to maintain a healthy lifestyle is no different from our non WLS peers. It took me years of gaining and losing to understand this. There is no magic pill. I never subscribed to that whole pouch reset methodology. That’s mental games that we’ve continued from before surgery. Quick fixes in weightloss. In my option it’s just another diet like paleo, Keto, Atkins etc.

What has helped me has been focusing on what caused me to overeat. Changing my thought process on food. Eating for nourishment not taste. Do I indulge, every now and then non-obsessively without guilt. It took some counseling to be truthful with myself to get to this point. But when I came full circle with that truth the light bulb went off.

I’m not going to hijack your thread into my story. But the power is in you. You’re more than a number on a scale. Find someone you can be accountable to. Find one thing that you know will keep you focused on your goal other than a number on the scale. If your SO isn’t onboard that’s okay. This is your life.

Accept that changing your perspective on food is hard as hell. But when you accept that the journey is easier. Accept you can live life without restriction. You have to learn control and balance. I’ve surrounded myself with people who are about healthy living and enjoying life. I’ve learned so much from them. They have the same issues as us postop. What I’ve learned since surrounding myself with them is that they don’t let one mess up derail them. They set fitness goals and commit to them. They have showed me that we’re responsible for self. A tool doesn’t hold that responsibility.

To put my money where my mouth is. I was 399 before surgery. 384 the day of. Surgery got me to 210/15. I got myself up to 230. Got real with myself and now I’m down to 164. I speak from experience.

DM me on IG anytime you want to chat. It’s important that you have someone in your corner who understands.

Keep goal setting and grinding. Each day gets you closer.

IG->@bariatricbutterfly

your story is my story (but more gain). VSG in March 2013. By March 2015 I was in the 170s which at 5-10
was size 10. I started at 315.
Very gradually, less exercise, new job, stress I gained back to 239. 60 lbs! I started low carb and intermittent fasting on Jan 1 2018 and I am now down to 212. I know i will use this technique (www.idmprogram.com) to get back at least to the 180s where i can fit in my clothes again. It is never too late! the low carb, no snacking, no sugar, intermittent fasting life has diminished cravings almost 100%. I highly recommend the “obesity code” book as well.

I have never commented or been very involved on this site. However, I have found the forums to be very helpful. I should say that I too fell off of the wagon...so to speak. I only lost between 45-48 lbs total from the surgery. I recently started to go back to what I was told to do in the beginning. We shall see how this goes! Thank you for your post.

I'm in same boat.. RNY 4.5 yrs ago.. gained 20 lbs and soooo terrified!!! IF anyone can PLEASE help.. how can I get weight back off.. see I had NASH liver disease that progressed to Cirrhosis so getting this 20 lbs off IS literally LIFE or DEATH.. PLEASE help!! PLEASE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2. März 2018 at 10:02 PM, Danny Paul said:

That's the problem with forums like these, the people needed the most (the veterans) are long gone. They take all the knowledge that they've aquired through trial/error and experience and leave. This leaves a tremendous void for those of us starting out and for those that need the valuable experience the veteran WLS people have.

Life happens and WLS gets old. ;)

Also take a look at the responses some vets get/got when giving advice (or the lack of a response) and you know why many of them are not so eager to give advice. (lets not talk about this so-called tough love now, please)

Edited by summerset