Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon puts in a tool endoscopicly during surgery that he uses as a model to measure the staple line & how big your pouch will be. Everyone’s stomach is the same size after surgery. He said the average stomach removed is 85% leaving no elasticity in most cases.

Yeah ? See I kept reading different stories . My doctors told me to stay off the internet but apparently I must be a glutton for punishment lol I can't . Because I need to know these things to help me to make my decision , and also I mean I just wana know ! I'm a researcher I can't help it . And this is a huge decision I mean once it's done it's done . Can't put your stomach back ya know ? So like it's scary ! What freaks me out the most is the recovery . I'm reading a lot about sipping, small sips and things like that . And how some have trouble getting tiny sips of Water down . Things like that . Idk . I'm still trying to come to my conclusion. My doctors office has a group on march 13 so I'm
Hoping I will be able to learn a lot just by meeting human beings who have had the surgery already and being able to talk face to face . I'm hoping that'll help me to come to my decision . I keengoig back and forth and just when I think I've made up my mind I change it that quickly . Thank you for your response !

5 minutes ago, jamieohhh said:

Yeah ? See I kept reading different stories . My doctors told me to stay off the internet but apparently I must be a glutton for punishment lol I can't . Because I need to know these things to help me to make my decision , and also I mean I just wana know ! I'm a researcher I can't help it . And this is a huge decision I mean once it's done it's done . Can't put your stomach back ya know ? So like it's scary ! What freaks me out the most is the recovery . I'm reading a lot about sipping, small sips and things like that . And how some have trouble getting tiny sips of Water down . Things like that . Idk . I'm still trying to come to my conclusion. My doctors office has a group on march 13 so I'm
Hoping I will be able to learn a lot just by meeting human beings who have had the surgery already and being able to talk face to face . I'm hoping that'll help me to come to my decision . I keengoig back and forth and just when I think I've made up my mind I change it that quickly . Thank you for your response !

Ask your doctor & the group every question you gave but remember questions & concerns are two very different things. If you have concerns do research & address them yourself. Getting advice about concerns is entirely different than getting answers to legitimate questions.

My surgeon puts in a tool endoscopicly during surgery that he uses as a model to measure the staple line & how big your pouch will be. Everyone’s stomach is the same size after surgery. He said the average stomach removed is 85% leaving no elasticity in most cases.

That’s how most do it and the tool is called a bougie.

And just to clarify everyone stomach is the same diameter/width after surgery. The length varies by individual so a 6’ tall man and a 5’ tall woman will have different sized stomachs which is as it should be because they have different calorie needs.

You know I really appreciate that ! That was one of my concerns as well , I read a few other people's stories and one specifically scared me because the girl had lost too much weight , and kept losing and she kept getting sick and had trouble with eating enough and or keeping it down . So that kind of scared me . Thank you so much for being kind and sharing your story with me 🖤

Just to calm your fears... IF you are talking about Bellabloom her situation was very unique. She had a revision from RNY to sleeve which is quite rare and she had a history of anorexia pre WLS And developed it again after requiring hospitalization. A tragic story but also a very rare case. I wouldn’t base any decisions on fears related to her situation.

Find a surgeon you trust and discuss your concerns. There are some great ones out there

super common to need to do small sips and have trouble in the beginning. Dehydration at the beginning is not uncommon.

But it is rare long term. I can gulp and chug with the best of them now and I had major trouble early out including moderate dehydration. And my sleeve is definitely on the smaller side. But I can also get in over 2000 quality calories a day and run marathons. I am four and a half years out.

12 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Just to calm your fears... IF you are talking about Bellabloom her situation was very unique. She had a revision from RNY to sleeve which is quite rare and she had a history of anorexia pre WLS And developed it again after requiring hospitalization. A tragic story but also a very rare case. I wouldn’t base any decisions on fears related to her situation.

To add to what jesss9395 has said, if you read through this site you find far far more cases of success or people still struggling to get to their goal. So ask your self, why are you focused on the very uncommon case?

I'm not trying to be harsh, but a positive mindset is the most important part of this process. We have to believe this will work, this is the tool we need. So often it's the people looking for obstacles, that find them. Google "Catastrophic thinking", and see if it fits. If it does find a way to break that thought pattern, because it keeps you from moving forward.

On bariatric pal you will get negative remarks but you will also get positive and supporting feedback which I found priceless at the start of my journey. Don’t take it personally.

For me I wanted to lose 90%of my stomach and I think I did, if not more! I hated food as much as I loved it! Look what it did to me and I blamed everything on food instead of looking deeper. Now I can only eat very little amounts (about 2 ounces at a time) but I’m not sorry. I feel fabulous. I feel sexy, happy and healthy.

Good luck on your journey if you need support we are here for you. I promise.

Edited by Jeaniered

Find a surgeon you trust and discuss your concerns. There are some great ones out there

I don't believe that was the girl I read about - I didn't find it on this site . If I can find it again I will share the link .

You know I really appreciate that ! That was one of my concerns as well , I read a few other people's stories and one specifically scared me because the girl had lost too much weight , and kept losing and she kept getting sick and had trouble with eating enough and or keeping it down . So that kind of scared me . Thank you so much for being kind and sharing your story with me 🖤

No problem [emoji847]

Lapband 9/11/07 227 pounds
Vsg 2/13/18
Pre op diet 188
Sd. 180
Cw 167.4 Dr. scale says says one pound less
First goal 169 2/26/18
Second 150
Goal weight 138

On bariatric pal you will get negative remarks but you will also get positive and supporting feedback which I found priceless at the start of my journey. Don’t take it personally.
For me I wanted to lose 90%of my stomach and I think I did, if not more! I hated food as much as I loved it! Look what it did to me and I blamed everything on food instead of looking deeper. Now I can only eat very little amounts (about 2 ounces at a time) but I’m not sorry. I feel fabulous. I feel sexy, happy and healthy.
Good luck on your journey if you need support we are here for you. I promise.

Thank you so much seriously

Remember as you research there is a selection bias. People who choose to post usually have questions or problems. Very few post to say how easy it has been! Going to a group will be better, but will still have some of that bias too. Get your practices complication rates and other data and that will help.