Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, all! I’m Alice, and I’ve just discovered this app! I’ve just begun my bariatric visits and am so excited to be on this journey.

What I say next might surprise you:

I’m 19 years old with a BMI of 62.5.

Sometimes I can’t help but ask: how did it get this way? I’ve been overweight all my life but at this level, its hard to imagine any life at all. It’s very difficult for me to walk much, which poses an issue with the fact I work in retail.

I heard about this surgery (the gastric sleeve) from a close family member, and was so excited! I understand this surgery is not meant to be a “quick fix,” but rather, allows the patient to lose with ease and get a jump start on their new life.

While I’m very excited, I must admit I’m a bit nervous for this whole experience. I’m the type of person who avoids going to the doctors at all costs, and now I’ll be seeing them at minimum once a month. Any tips for a beginner?

I'm not great at the whole rah-rah, we're all in this together, positive thoughts, you'll do great stuff. I'm 110% pragmatic. But given your age, what I can offer is this:

• You can't be afraid to ask questions of anyone, particularly the doctors.
  • Do not just sit and nod when the doctor tells you something you're not 100% certain about: Repeat it back to him/her.
  • Be your own advocate. You have to own this whole process. Success or failure is all on you.
  • Do your own research on reliable medical websites and make sure you and the doctor are on the same page.
  • Do not read anecdotes here or hear stories from family and friends and accept them as fact.
  • Do not get paranoid if you read about problems some people report here and think you're going to have the same problems.
  • Get over your avoidance of doctors immediately. They are on your side and unless you also have a medical degree, they know what's best for you. If they tell you that you need to do something you fear or will make you uncomfortable, just suck it up and do it. They're the experts.
  • Don't obsess about how you got to where you are. You've made the decision to correct things, so focus on that.
  • Prior to being approved for surgery you will have to have a psychiatric evaluation. Based on the findings they may recommend steps you can take to avoid returning to unhealthy behaviors, possibly individual therapy or groups like Overeaters Anonymous. Accept whatever help they offer.
  • Finally, this is going to be hard work and a major lifestyle change. Everyone in your life is going to have an opinion and most of them, unless they've gone through this themselves, will be completely uninformed and possibly even dangerous. If there's someone who isn't unconditionally supportive, ignore them as much as you can. And if it's from someone you can't ignore, invest in some good noise-canceling headphones...

9 hours ago, RoseQuartz56 said:

I’m the type of person who avoids going to the doctors at all costs, and now I’ll be seeing them at minimum once a month. Any tips for a beginner?

Welcome, Alice. What if you weren't the type of person who avoids going to the doctors at all costs? What if you were the type of person who embraced a new approach, which includes regular visits to someone who can help you? It really is that easy. Good luck. You are not alone.

Welcome to the form Alice. :)

Welcome Alice, I love your pen name, rose quartz is one of my favorite stones. I am at the opposite end of life, I am 72 so I'm kinda the Bariatric grandma. I'm in it to win it just like all the youngins. I for one think you're a smart young lady to be seeking surgery. Let me tell you how it feels to be obese most of your adult life. First people think you are lazy, if you' d get up and move that weight would just fall off! Either they regard you as invisible or they won't invite you to their home because you might break their furniture. One of my so-called loving family members told me this. They treat you like you're disgusting and stinky, I take as many,if not more, baths as the next person. They think you don't care about yourself because you let yourself get this way. Sound familiar? You start out strong but eventually your joints start failing, you wear your cartilage away until you are bone-on-bone and you start to have joints replaced, I have 2 knee replacements, they are nice to have but 85-90% as good as the original. And you get bone-a** weary of dragging your body around, you take to sitting down or lying down cause it hurts too much to move. You start hating your body because its failing you much as you wish it wouldn't. You feel like like life is hopeless and you may die this way. Then you hear of a surgery, yeah it might even change how your body's arranged, the more you study, the more you realize that might not be a bad thing. It is just a tool, but why not devote the energy you've spent just trying to live to this?? It's scary but finally you ask for help and you find it. Maybe when you went to the doctor before they were just insulting, Bariatric doctors aren't that way. If they were, they wouldn't be in the business very long. And as you get to know them and they get to know you a relationship is built. By the time your surgery comes you've learned to trust them. On surgery day you intrust your life to them, you go to sleep, wake up in the recovery room with nurses and techs caring for you. You realize you've made it this far and know you're on your way to a new chance at life and better health. And you commit yourself to using this tool and using it in the best way. As each success comes you are prouder and prouder of yourself in a way you never were before. And this is what I believe the journey will be like. Exciting isn't it? You can do it and i can too. Lets do it together for ourselves. Up for it? I know I am. Your new friend and surgery buddy ME.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome.

I'm nervous too! I think that is part of the whole process. :)

Good luck.

Hi Alice! I just had my first surgery consult today. I expressed interest in both sleeve and gastric bypass, and the surgeon felt that the bypass was a more suitable procedure for those in the 'super obese' BMI range. And the higher the starting BMI, the greater the advantages of bypass vs. sleeve. If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to ask your doctor which procedure he/she would choose if he/she were in your shoes, and to be open to whichever procedure looks best for *you*.

Welcome Alice, I love your pen name, rose quartz is one of my favorite stones. I am at the opposite end of life, I am 72 so I'm kinda the Bariatric grandma. I'm in it to win it just like all the youngins. I for one think you're a smart young lady to be seeking surgery. Let me tell you how it feels to be obese most of your adult life. First people think you are lazy, if you' d get up and move that weight would just fall off! Either they regard you as invisible or they won't invite you to their home because you might break their furniture. One of my so-called loving family members told me this. They treat you like you're disgusting and stinky, I take as many,if not more, baths as the next person. They think you don't care about yourself because you let yourself get this way. Sound familiar? You start out strong but eventually your joints start failing, you wear your cartilage away until you are bone-on-bone and you start to have joints replaced, I have 2 knee replacements, they are nice to have but 85-90% as good as the original. And you get bone-a** weary of dragging your body around, you take to sitting down or lying down cause it hurts too much to move. You start hating your body because its failing you much as you wish it wouldn't. You feel like like life is hopeless and you may die this way. Then you hear of a surgery, yeah it might even change how your body's arranged, the more you study, the more you realize that might not be a bad thing. It is just a tool, but why not devote the energy you've spent just trying to live to this?? It's scary but finally you ask for help and you find it. Maybe when you went to the doctor before they were just insulting, Bariatric doctors aren't that way. If they were, they wouldn't be in the business very long. And as you get to know them and they get to know you a relationship is built. By the time your surgery comes you've learned to trust them. On surgery day you intrust your life to them, you go to sleep, wake up in the recovery room with nurses and techs caring for you. You realize you've made it this far and know you're on your way to a new chance at life and better health. And you commit yourself to using this tool and using it in the best way. As each success comes you are prouder and prouder of yourself in a way you never were before. And this is what I believe the journey will be like. Exciting isn't it? You can do it and i can too. Lets do it together for ourselves. Up for it? I know I am. Your new friend and surgery buddy ME.
Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Beautiful words. I too have just begun my pre op life month 2. I’m 60 and so wish I had this opportunity when I was 20. I let life pass me by instead of living it I always helped other succeed at their’s. You can do this for you. And for those of us ready to join you. WE CAN DO THIS.

Here I am, celebrated 45 years of marriage to my high school sweetheart on Saturday. Plan to retire December 31. Have fought weight all my life. Lowest weight 106 and highest 254. I am only 5 ft 2 in. Well,

I am going to take the leap with Bariatric bypass as I have tried all other plans. I am 67 and looking to start my life over again with a new outlook on life. If I can, we all can. In God all things are possible[emoji33][emoji120]

5 minutes ago, jradford said:

In God all things are possible

I liked your quote better before you fixed it. Granted, I'm an atheist...

Welcome Alice. I just want to say that you are about to start a journey there will be easy times and hard times there will be times when you will question everything but that is ok. Trust and believe in you. You are making the best decision for you hold your head up high even when it gets hard and when you need a friend we are here when you need someone to vent to we are here ok you are not alone ok hugs and love And light

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app