Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help & some really good advice

I am 5 years post gastric bypass surgery, but I’ve had complications with my back. I recently had my 3rd lumbar fusion approximately 8 weeks ago. I was told by my surgeon it was very important not to gain weight as this will put pressure on my back and worsen my pain. Well I’ve found that very difficult to do. My pain is so severe after this surgery I am afraid to move. I try walking but I can only walk max 1 block due to severe nerve damage pain to both my legs. I have also been depressed because I was told I could never go back to my job (I’m a dialysis nurse) due to the repetitive strain n pressure. I’m an emotional eater. I have gained 10-15 lbs since my surgery on 12/13/17. My pain gets worse every day cus of this. I can’t stop eating n I can’t exercise. Anyone going thru anything similar to this or know if someone with the same problem that can give me some advice? I am already depressed so I don’t need Any criticism or negative comments, just need advice on any diets or exercises. Not sure how I have been able to eat so much, since my bypass I have always eaten very little n I was able to lose a total of 105 lbs

8 minutes ago, aramirez36 said:

I am 5 years post gastric bypass surgery, but I’ve had complications with my back. I recently had my 3rd lumbar fusion approximately 8 weeks ago. I was told by my surgeon it was very important not to gain weight as this will put pressure on my back and worsen my pain. Well I’ve found that very difficult to do. My pain is so severe after this surgery I am afraid to move. I try walking but I can only walk max 1 block due to severe nerve damage pain to both my legs. I have also been depressed because I was told I could never go back to my job (I’m a dialysis nurse) due to the repetitive strain n pressure. I’m an emotional eater. I have gained 10-15 lbs since my surgery on 12/13/17. My pain gets worse every day cus of this. I can’t stop eating n I can’t exercise. Anyone going thru anything similar to this or know if someone with the same problem that can give me some advice? I am already depressed so I don’t need Any criticism or negative comments, just need advice on any diets or exercises. Not sure how I have been able to eat so much, since my bypass I have always eaten very little n I was able to lose a total of 105 lbs

I’m so sorry that hear about what you are going through. I have major back issues as well and thank goodness no surgery’s for it... yet..

I would see if your insurance has any counseling that might help... also, maybe get back in touch with your Bariatric team?

sending good thoughts and prayers your way....

I am so sorry for all of this pain is such an incredible trigger for so many things. My biggest suggestion is to get into therapy with a therapist that understands pain and its repercussions you can always start with psychologytoday.com and search your area. I second what cowgirl said get back in touch with your team, and remember you are not alone.

There are many different types of exercise. Some of them put minimal strain on your back. Swimming comes to mind. Here is a link to an article titled "Good and Bad Exercise for Low Back Pain" https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/ss/slideshow-exercises This link shows some exercises and also has some video links. https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/easy-exercise-program-low-back-pain-relief There were some members who had mobility problems on this site, perhaps they can come forward and speak about their solutions.

You are so courageous to have the back surgery! I have lots of back issues, and probably need surgery. I found getting in the pool or the hot tub therapy pool is very helpful. See if your surgeon will clear you for that. I find moving in the pool is helpful.
Also congratulations on losing so much weight! If you are finding you are gaining again because your emotional eating, try to stick to Protein. I get really bad head hunger and I do not grab carbs or sweats,I try to grab high protein foods. If I want to have something sweat I keep it low carb .
I wish you much success on this weight loss journey. Sending you healing thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

I can relate to what you are going thru!! I didn't have as much done it seems but...2006 I had back surgery. I had 2 rods and cadaver bones put in. I can honestly say with everything in me, I wished they had let me die!! It was horrible. The first 3 months was so terrible. Imagine weighing 250#'s and going thru back surgery. This is something I would never wish on even my worst enemy!! But now I am so glad I did it. It's even better since I lost my weight. Hon, I feel so bad for everything you are going thru. I wish I had some magic to work on you with. I don't of course. But try your hardest to REMEMBER why you did your WLS. KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR PRIZE and KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I also have back issues which have also caused me to gain some weight. My chiropractor has suggested that now that I am moving a little better to get back into my Water exercise. There is no pressure on your joints and you are not sore after working out in the water. Hope this helps! Hang in there WE CAN DO THIS we have come this far!

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I also have back issues which have also caused me to gain some weight. My chiropractor has suggested that now that I am moving a little better to get back into my Water exercise. There is no pressure on your joints and you are not sore after working out in the Water. Hope this helps! Hang in there WE CAN DO THIS we have come this far!

Water aerobics sounds good, I’ve heard of that, I’m really gonna try that, thank u so much

Honey I know what you are going through. I have, over the past several years had both knees replaced and I too am dealing with back issue. What I say to you is what I have to say to myself. I CAN DO THIS. I know I have gained some of my weight back but I have found that exercising in the pool, I do not get sore at all and the Water is great for hurting joints. My daughter is getting married in September and I would love to have the weight back off . So Please take care of you and consider finding a pool near you.

Not at all in your situation or similar but....
Is it at all feasible for you to try a reset style diet? I hear people have good results, it's basically like starting your preop/postop diets over and working through the stages.
Also logging food again (if you don't anymore) may help you stay accountable.
Get well soon

HW 270
SW 238
CW 182
VSG 11/7
[emoji146][emoji146][emoji146]

Ok, first off, so sorry you are suffering so!!! ((hugs)) Chronic pain SUCKS. Chronic nerve/neuralgia sucks maybe even worse on top of that. It can definitely become the thief of joy and hope.

I have degenerative disc disease and arthritic hips with chronic bursitis and SI-itis. But on top of that pain I also have a bone spur on my thoracic vertebra that causes a nerve intrapment in the intercostal muscle. (But wait! There's more! I also have a set of Ginzu steak knives! *snic*) On top of that, I have had multiple breast cancer and reconstructive surgeries that have left me with 360 degree neuralgia pain that is about 9 inches top to bottom across my chest and back. It's like a burning, stinging chemical burn or raw rash at my chest wall that feels like stings from fireants. I have this 24/7/365. And lastly I have neuralgia in my feet/toes and fingertips leftover from hand food syndrome during chemo cuz the chemo dose had to be so high for me.

I tell you this not to top you or bore you. But to let you know possibilities. Last May I'd given up hope. I was WTD (waiting to die) and barely got my fat ass out of the recliner for longer than it takes to pee or down a Little Debbie snack Cake -- or Whataburger chicken Strip dinner with cream gravy and fries. I was isolated in my house and NEVER went out except to the doctor. Those (foods of crap origin) were my constant companions. Then I got staff in my toe and I realized I wasn't ready to die yet. I wanted to fight!! I wanted to take control back of my life!!! And I wanted it THEN! Immediately. LOL.

So I started prepping for surgery. I dumped the crap and went to a very low carb, very low fat, very low calorie diet and started losing weight--slowly--but losing. ALL my cravings went away! And something miraculous happened. As I lost the weight, I was able to force myself up through the cloud of pain to walk for 1 minute--then 5 minutes--then 10 and so on.

Fast forward to now, about 97lbs lighter than in May 2017 and my pain is much improved! The neuralgia is still there, Large and IN CHARGE! But the bone and arthritis has improved a bit. And it gets better with each pound lost. I get cortisone injections in my hips that help a lot. I work with a PT to strengthen my core muscles and improve my balance and endurance. And I'm looking forward to trying Water exercises soon!

I still have a FU*K load of burning, stinging, itching, aching pain each day. But my arthritis doc said, the best thing I can do for myself is get to a very low weight as quickly as I can. That a 30% drop in weight will significantly improve my life. I now walk 1 hour a day (30 minutes at a time), can stand to cook, go visit family, go out on dates with Mr. F. and am slowly taking back control of my life. I have a positive, hopeful outlook despite the chronic pain. I just CHOOSE to live life even in the face of pain and choose to have control--rather than being a victim of my surgeries and disease. (Not saying you're a victim--I'm saying I FELT I was a victim of them.)

You take control back, by going back to your basic plan. No eating and drinking 30-30. If you're drinking alcohol stop. If you're taking more pain narcs than you absolutely need, wean off them. They blunt your desire for health. Eat dense Protein first, veggies second, healthy fats and cut out the ALL the crap and contraband. Weigh, measure, and log everything!

And know that 6-12months after surgery is sometimes what it takes for things to feel a little better. My big surgeries took me 6 months to begin to feel human again--each time!

Sorry for writing a book...but please don't give up. WTD SUCKS!

Congrats on your weight loss to date!

Edited by FluffyChix