Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Diet Nightmare

Hello, I am due to have surgery in March....started my pre-op diet but my BIG problem are those darn Protein Shakes and the after taste .....I am freakin out....I'd rather starve then drink those things!....my question is has anyone found any without artificial sweeteners...INCLUDING Stevia/ thanks

Which ones are you using? I have Premier Protein and i like them, i also liked the GNC ones

wishing you the best of luck!!! This diet is hell but you can do it!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

I also quit coffee 6 months prior to surgery, for myself, so I understand your pain. In about a week I was tip top. Post op I drink Decaf with premier caramel shake as the Creamer, it's the ONLY way I tolerate shakes now.

I am curious why you are putting your self on a preop diet if approval has not been given yet?

The nutritionist will guide you through that phase.This new diet/lifestyle is something you have to be comfortable doing for life, so the changes must be authentic which usually takes time to wrap your head around otherwise you may fail yourself. And we're all polling for you here to win.

Perhaps you should try focusing on Protein first, which will be your new lifestyle, and begin logging in an app to track calories like myfitnesspal

Let us know how it goes

Sent from my N817 using BariatricPal mobile app

I also quit coffee 6 months prior to surgery, for myself, so I understand your pain. In about a week I was tip top. Post op I drink Decaf with premier caramel shake as the creamer, it's the ONLY way I tolerate shakes now.

I am curious why you are putting your self on a preop diet if approval has not been given yet?

The nutritionist will guide you through that phase.This new diet/lifestyle is something you have to be comfortable doing for life, so the changes must be authentic which usually takes time to wrap your head around otherwise you may fail yourself. And we're all polling for you here to win.

Perhaps you should try focusing on Protein first, which will be your new lifestyle, and begin logging in an app to track calories like myfitnesspal

Let us know how it goes

Do you make your own decaf? I don’t believe they sell one that is cold brew?

I do make my own but it's not cold brew. I use an old school espresso maker that brews on the stove top in about 2 minutes and chill it when I want it cold. Otherwise I drink it hot.

And you're right I've been everywhere looking for Decaf cold brew!

I also quit coffee 6 months prior to surgery, for myself, so I understand your pain. In about a week I was tip top. Post op I drink Decaf with premier caramel shake as the creamer, it's the ONLY way I tolerate shakes now.

Let us know how it goes

Hi:) The way my insurance works is if we show progress by the time the Psych get appt gets here and the surgeon appointment then you are scheduled quicker. During orientation we were to told to start the diet. My psych is in 2 weeks and then he will schedule me with the surgeon appt. They will go by your beginning weight from orientation. So they said the speed of the processes is up to me. Hopefully the surgeon says I’ve done well and gets me an appt with the case manager who will schedule my date. [emoji4]

OK, there seems to be a ton of variations in the process from surgeon to surgeon .

I had to see a psychologist, cardiologist, nutritionist and a slew of others. There was no looming deadline just as fast as you could move through the appts. I saw the surgeon and nutritionist at my first appt after orientation and was told the amount I needed to lose prior to surgery and the nutritional plan. I was only restricted from eating breads, grains and Pasta. I had to track and find the balance that I could stick with

but was never required to have Protein Shakes so it sounded like you were on the 2 week preop diet slot of people complete right before surgery.

And from orientation to surgery it was just about 5 months.

OK, there seems to be a ton of variations in the process from surgeon to surgeon .
I had to see a psychologist, cardiologist, nutritionist and a slew of others. There was no looming deadline just as fast as you could move through the appts. I saw the surgeon and nutritionist at my first appt after orientation and was told the amount I needed to lose prior to surgery and the nutritional plan. I was only restricted from eating breads, grains and Pasta. I had to track and find the balance that I could stick with
but was never required to have Protein Shakes so it sounded like you were on the 2 week preop diet slot of people complete right before surgery.
And from orientation to surgery it was just about 5 months.

Yes I’m not on shakes either, just low sugar low carb high Protein diet

Yes I’m not on shakes either, just low sugar low carb high Protein diet

Oops... How about I replied to the wrong person in the thread. I mistakenly combined two separate responses.
Well sir, best of luck on your appointments, you'll do great!

On 2/3/2018 at 2:00 AM, GeorgieDean said:

Hi Everyone,

I attended my orientation yesterday and received my pre op nutrition guidelines. Today was my first day following it completely and I am feeling terrible. I’m weak, light headed, Headache, and hungry. My psych appointment isn’t until February 26th . I know I’m doing the right thing by trying to lose weight before the appointment. However I am soo not myself. I even had to leave work early today because I I feel yukky. It’s probably a combination of caffeine withdrawals and food withdrawals... doesn’t make it any easier. This is HARD.

I know where you are coming from, The first few days coming off sugar in particular is really tough. But it does get better. I am 6 weeks into my 3 month monitored diet and after i got over the initial hump i feel so much better. I have even managed to loose 20lbs so far.