Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

most ignorant reply

Hi everyone,

I have been reading everything I can on here and I was wondering what is the most ignornant response to you telling someone you are going to have LBS? I have heard it all from "you are going to blow your stomach out" to "you won't have the strength to work fulltime" like it is easy to carry around an extra 100 lbs of weight? get this one "you will go crazy not being able to eat" and the old ones of "you can just lose weight on your own" I even try to educate people but sometimes its like pulling teeth.:whoo:

Newbeginnings

I have 2 ... My grandma asked me how they adjusted me "Belt" I asked her what she was talking about . She said " I dont get how they adjust the belt around your waste" she thought I literally had a belt surgically implanted around my waste LMAO

The other one is recently my aunt was here visiting , she saw me getting a plate of food at my mom's house and she looked at me and said " You can EAT" I said yes what do you expect " she said " OH I didnt know you can eat with the band surgery " GEEZ people LOL

Mindy

I can't say I really had any stupid remarks. The remarks people have made were about bypass because they thought banding and bypass were the same. When they realize what the band really is they are quite supportive.

My favourite is "So when are you having it removed?"

LMAO that's funny like " Your all fixed now you can have it out "

Too funny, you look GREAT BTW Chickie. I read ur blog when i have time and I think its AWESOME . You crack me up .

Mindy

My husband and i both sing at church and my MIL said she was concerned that the surgery would mess up my singing voice... i was thinking... what does the lapband have to do with singing... i still laugh about that one.

I've been asked when I'm having it removed by - wait for it - my family doctor!

Isn't it kinda like asking someone with a heart transplant when they'll be having it removed? Or a total knee replacement? Or or or...

My husband and i both sing at church and my MIL said she was concerned that the surgery would mess up my singing voice... i was thinking... what does the lapband have to do with singing... i still laugh about that one.

OMG...I was actually SO worried it would affect my voice...so I asked the surgeon, who concealed a little giggle and said, "Uh, no, I don't think so". Within two weeks I was singing again...took a little longer to hold the guitar tho..tummy was still sore :(

The weirdest comment DH and I got was, "What's the point in that? You can just deflate it any time you want to pig out!" LOL we about fell over....he explained that he thought the 'regulator' was on the outside of the skin! We educated him :(

I had a coworker tell me she couldn't beleive I was getting banded since I didn't have any children, I would never be able to. She thought somehow after getting banded you couldn't get preggers. I was like no, it makes it EASIER to get pregnant, duh!!!

this actually happened yesteday. I told him how much I have lost, and I also told him the band wasn't "working" yet, as I have been filled, but I have not been eating solid food. However, the process of having the band and knowing what would happen if I did pig out accounted for a lot of the weight loss. He says something along the lines of, "So you are saying you have just dieted and exercised, and you paid for this? (I'm a self-pay) You are such a dumb-a$$: see, you could have done this on your own." I seriously wanted to stomp a mud-hole in his a$$ after that little gem of a comment. Instead, I got down to his level, and said "If it is so easy, then why do you look like a pregnant marsupial with that stomach pouch you've got going on?" Ahhh, we men are so not nice sometimes. :(

From my friend- I don't understand why people need a rubberband to stop them from eating.

My cousins- So you are starving yourself?

You are just doing this to get a boyfriend.

From my aunt- I hope you don't look like star jones when you finish.

When I watched Big Medicine last night, they showed a girl getting lap-band.. and she was talking about her decision to get it, and she said "It's not permanent". Hum.. I don't know if she meant, if something happened she could have it removed, but it IS permanent! That's hard for my family to wrap their brains around too.. They keep thinking I'll want it out later in life. But why? My life isn't horrible because I can only eat small portions now.. Guess when everyone has the gorge mentality, the band is a baffling tool. I'm not suffering or miserable, I'm content with what I have. My g'ma pushed on my port when I was showing them where they moved it.. she thought if you push the port, it's like a button that inflates you..and that I did that at every meal. And she use to be the head nurse. :x