Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed In Myself

I'm nearly a year out from VSG surgery and I've regained (and lost and regained again). Due to living situations, I wasn't able to eat properly and now I'm paying for it. I'm transitioning back to veganism as a way to get back on track (plus meat and dairy makes me nauseous). What makes things worse is that I have people around me giving me advice, when they themselves aren't taking their own advice (saying they're getting healthy but are clearly not doing so). I've been beating myself up over my errors in judgment, but all I can do is to pick myself up and never do it again. As for this person that's giving me information: She was telling me her friend had VSG, ate no carbs and lost weight. I just looked at her and shook my head. Grrr!

Don't we just love when we receive unrequested advice or I have a friend who...?!? Oh my. If only she had saved her breath because you know what to do; you're aware of circumstances and behaviors that led you down the rabbit hole; and you have a desire to make another go of it. You have what you need to succeed (as long as you can now get Proteins, etc. too). You also have maintained an 82 pound weight loss for nearly a year - that's amazing! Are you proud of yourself for that? This is the continuation of your weight loss story: you'll need to turn the page and start a new chapter. :206_cat:

I'm sorry you had so many life issue that created stumbling blocks for you.

Please don't beat yourself up, mostly because self-hate and self-loathing is the fast road to the refrigerator. At least for me.

What I've seen people do is contact their surgeons office to make an appointment, recommit to the process they recommend. Making drastic food changes such as going to veganism might make this harder for you, but it might actually help you recommit as it will give you a whole new plan and project! Could be great for you!

Although I do agree that low carb is definitely a good idea. My surgeon actually yelled out his office as I left after my 1st post surgical appointment "And stay away from carbs, they will ruin everything!" And he was right. The moment I introduce simple carbs back into my diet I gain at least a pound in 3 days. at least. So...that person might be giving you really bad advice but I can't find a fault in the idea of cutting out all your simple carbs.

2 minutes ago, KatFight said:

Don't we just love when we receive unrequested advice or I have a friend who...?!? Oh my. If only she had saved her breath because you know what to do; you're aware of circumstances and behaviors that led you down the rabbit hole; and you have a desire to make another go of it. You have what you need to succeed (as long as you can now get Proteins, etc. too). You also have maintained an 82 pound weight loss for nearly a year - that's amazing! Are you proud of yourself for that? This is the continuation of your weight loss story: you'll need to turn the page and start a new chapter. :206_cat:

OMG such a great point!!!! YES!! She should be SOOOOOOOO proud of herself for that. She's lost 82 lbs. That's AMAZING!! I don't care that you've gained some back. Life happens, it's what we do with these issues that helps us see how strong we are.

You really can't waste time beating yourself up. Make the changes you need to make and move on. Use some of that energy and take a walk. So what if you only go for 5 minutes - that is 5 minutes more than yesterday. This stuff isn't easy. A lifetime of habits to break - can't be done overnight. Imagine an alcoholic that has to quit being an alcoholic and still drink. We have to eat. You have the tools and you can make it. Congratulations on your 82lb loss.

In weight loss if we stumble we tend to then throw ourselves down the stairs. Don’t. Resist the urge to focus on the weight gain, instead focus on the loss and know you can again. Go back to basics, maybe revisit your nutritionist or get one if you don’t have one. Take it slow and don’t be discouraged. You can do this. Don’t bite off more than you can chew, instead start slowly and move to where you want to be.