Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-OP Mixed Emotions

I'm 9 days post op & I feel like I'm losing my mind. After surgery my taste buds changed & now I can barely stand the shakes. broth is difficult to take in because it upsets my stomach. At least I can drink Water just fine!! I'm supposed to drink three shakes a day & I'm struggling to get through two a day. I was so ready & confident for this surgery. I knew my life was going to change for the better & I've been preparing for it for months!

But today I woke up second guessing myself... I feel like maybe I got in over my head. I dont feel good & I'm always tired. Luckily I don't have food cravings any more since surgery, but I can't help feeling like I'm so over drinking only liquids lol. I feel like I'm losing hope in myself today. Maybe it's just because Im having an off day... I really hope that I feel back to my normal motivated self tomorrow!! Has anyone else felt like this?

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

Same, I am 4 days post op, cried 2 days ago because I was pushing myself to have liquids because I wanted to keep up with the liquid diet and my stomach wasn’t feeling like it. I feel tired too, I drink a little bit sometimes I say to myself what have I done :( but I hope it’s all for my health and to look good :) can’t wait to try normal food like chicken, salads etc. But also afraid that my stomach would not accept the changes :/. Greetings from Mexico !

Same, I am 4 days post op, cried 2 days ago because I was pushing myself to have liquids because I wanted to keep up with the liquid diet and my stomach wasn’t feeling like it. I feel tired too, I drink a little bit sometimes I say to myself what have I done [emoji20] but I hope it’s all for my health and to look good [emoji4] can’t wait to try normal food like chicken, salads etc. But also afraid that my stomach would not accept the changes :/. Greetings from Mexico !

I think it will get easier once I'm at the normal food stage as well. Salads sounds amazing! But I also worry how my body will tolerate the changes. I guess only time will tell.

It gets better. Hang in there and try not to stress. Just remember that is is a new beginning so there'll be some adjustments. The good news.....in a few weeks or even months you'll love the decision you made. In 3 days I'll be 6 mos post op and wouldn't change not even one thing. What you're going through is normal. I wish you the best.

The liquid diet was the hardest part for me. Worse than surgery. Worse than the feeling of anxiety when you first start to drink and every sip has to be less than a teaspoon. Worse than the days of feeling like ALL I DID WITH MY DAY...was watch the clock and sip sip sip...walk walk walk.

The liquid stage...both before and after surgery... flat out sucked for me. I was starving and I hated it. It crushed my morale and yep...I had a few second thoughts.

I remember one afternoon bursting into tears because my husband brought me some chicken broth and I just couldn't face it. "It tastes like a stinky chicken armpit, I just CANT. I will puke."

I wasn't supposed to have it until the next day, but he made me some cocoa wheats. My rule conscious by the book husband....knew I'd reached my breaking point and suggested that one day early...cocoa wheats thinned with Protein drink....would likely be ok.

Best cocoa wheats ever. I felt almost human. By the time I tried cream Soup and oatmeal and yogurt....I was convinced I was going to live and not go bonkers.

God that was so HARD! I do remember.

But I promise....it's all downhill from here. You start adding things and it doesn't take long. You keep adding new stuff until you're 6-8 weeks out and can eat almost anything. And you forget how hard you struggled...and feel completely confident that the world is in your pocket.

Don't lose hope. You're almost to the really fun, really good, really exciting part:)

The liquid diet was the hardest part for me. Worse than surgery. Worse than the feeling of anxiety when you first start to drink and every sip has to be less than a teaspoon. Worse than the days of feeling like ALL I DID WITH MY DAY...was watch the clock and sip sip sip...walk walk walk.
The liquid stage...both before and after surgery... flat out sucked for me. I was starving and I hated it. It crushed my morale and yep...I had a few second thoughts.
I remember one afternoon bursting into tears because my husband brought me some chicken broth and I just couldn't face it. "It tastes like a stinky chicken armpit, I just CANT. I will puke."
I wasn't supposed to have it until the next day, but he made me some cocoa wheats. My rule conscious by the book husband....knew I'd reached my breaking point and suggested that one day early...cocoa wheats thinned with Protein drink....would likely be ok.
Best cocoa wheats ever. I felt almost human. By the time I tried cream Soup and oatmeal and yogurt....I was convinced I was going to live and not go bonkers.
God that was so HARD! I do remember.
But I promise....it's all downhill from here. You start adding things and it doesn't take long. You keep adding new stuff until you're 6-8 weeks out and can eat almost anything. And you forget how hard you struggled...and feel completely confident that the world is in your pocket.
Don't lose hope. You're almost to the really fun, really good, really exciting part:)

Thank you so much!!! Words cant even begin to explain how grateful I am for your comment. I was starting to feel like nobody would truly relate & That is exactly what I needed to hear!! Thank you for the boost of confidence :-)

I actually started calling the liquid diet...The Auschwitz Diet..(which I know is horrible and disrespectful of holocaust survivors, I apologize)

But yeah...it's not fun to slowly starve on nothing but disgusting flavored waters and sickly sweet vitaminy yucky Protein milk and Jello. It's dehumanizing and feels like torture. Then it occurs to you that you're choosing to do it to yourself and you think...what in the hell is wrong with me that i'd do this???

I used to love jello. There is only so much sugar free jello you can eat and not come completely unglued. When I was able to eat soft solids, I pitched about 24 jello cups in the trash...which was an awful waste...but seriously....with a gun to my head, I couldn't eat them. They had to go. And I took a certain delight in pitching them.

After a while everything tasted like the chemical version of "fruit flavor" and "salty beaks and feet"....Protien drinks started tasting like Milk of Magnesia. it was all so gag-worthy at the end.

If I'd had to go another week on liquids...I might have done something insanely desperate.

I feel your pain:)

It gets better!

I actually started calling the liquid diet...The Auschwitz Diet..(which I know is horrible and disrespectful of holocaust survivors, I apologize)
But yeah...it's not fun to slowly starve on nothing but disgusting flavored waters and sickly sweet vitaminy yucky Protein milk and Jello. It's dehumanizing and feels like torture. Then it occurs to you that you're choosing to do it to yourself and you think...what in the hell is wrong with me that i'd do this???
I used to love Jello. There is only so much sugar free jello you can eat and not come completely unglued. When I was able to eat soft solids, I pitched about 24 jello cups in the trash...which was an awful waste...but seriously....with a gun to my head, I couldn't eat them. They had to go. And I took a certain delight in pitching them.
After a while everything tasted like the chemical version of "fruit flavor" and "salty beaks and feet"....Protien drinks started tasting like Milk of Magnesia. it was all so gag-worthy at the end.
If I'd had to go another week on liquids...I might have done something insanely desperate.
It gets better!

Thank you! You literally do know exactly how I'm feeling. I'm over here laughing hysterically now because you explained things so well that I definitely know you can relate to how I'm feeling. You have renewed my faith that it will get better!! I just have to finish strong through this stage.

I used to love Jello. There is only so much sugar free jello you can eat and not come completely unglued. When I was able to eat soft solids, I pitched about 24 jello cups in the trash...which was an awful waste...but seriously....with a gun to my head, I couldn't eat them. They had to go. And I took a certain delight in pitching them.
It gets better!

Thank you! You literally do know exactly how I'm feeling. I'm over here laughing hysterically now because you explained things so well that I definitely know you can relate to how I'm feeling. You have renewed my faith that it will get better!! I just have to finish strong through this stage.

It gets better!

Yes, the liquids stage is the WORST! Stay strong!

It does get better! I have no regrets! I'm 8 months in and I've lost over 100 lbs! i used the time to think about my relationship with food. Food is not my friend but it is also not my enemy. The day I was allowed solid foods, though, was a GREAT DAY. I have found a new appreciate for scrambled eggs. :)

Hang in there! The first few weeks are a roller coaster. The hormones get all messed up from the surgery and weight loss, so expect to feel unsettled for a while, but know that it gets better and that you're doing something great for yourself.

Stay strong ! The first few weeks sucked !! I cried almost everyday. Just looking at broth made me want to throw up because i was so over it . I survived off of sugar free ice pops and Powerade zero . I know at 2 weeks i was able to start purees, not sure if your diet plan is the same but if it is your almost there ! I hated myself in the beginning I thought i made the biggest mistake ever but im now almost 7 months out and down 103 lbs . Loll i dont regret it for a second anymore [emoji846]

Try clear Protein supplements if you can’t stand the powder. They gave me Pro-Stat clear Liquid Protein concentrate in the hospital and I was amazed. So much easier to get down! The Pro-stat was pretty good, I’ve also had LiquaCel brand, but my favorite is the Bariatric Choice liquid concentrates (I like berry and Blue Raspberry flavors). I’m finally on solid foods but I still rely on these to hit my protein goal.