Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plant based protein

I'm 3 months post-op RNY and trying to go more plant based. I ate mostly vegetarian prior to surgery, but started eating meat again after because it's higher in Protein. I've noticed that I'm not sleeping, constantly lacking energy now and have had several kidney stones recently, which is how I felt when I used to eat meat. My concern is that plant based Proteins aren't as high in protein as meat. I've got plant based Protein Powder, though it's higher in sugar, but I don't want to do Protein Shakes for every meal/snack. Anyone else follow a plant based diet? What are some good options for protein? Does anyone juice post op?

5 minutes ago, mel1214 said:

I'm 3 months post-op RNY and trying to go more plant based. I ate mostly vegetarian prior to surgery, but started eating meat again after because it's higher in Protein. I've noticed that I'm not sleeping, constantly lacking energy now and have had several kidney stones recently, which is how I felt when I used to eat meat. My concern is that plant based Proteins aren't as high in Protein as meat. I've got plant based Protein Powder, though it's higher in sugar, but I don't want to do Protein Shakes for every meal/snack. Anyone else follow a plant based diet? What are some good options for protein? Does anyone juice post op?

I was a vegetarian also and slowly working my way back

I eat mostly fish as a source of non plant protein but here's a list of plant based sources :

Lentils 1cup 18g protein

Black Beans 1cup 14.5g

Sunflower seeds 1cup 31g

Tempeh 1cup 31g

Quinoa(cooked) 1 cup 8g

Egg 7g protein

Cottage cheese 4 oz 13g

Edamame 1 cup 18g

Greek yogurt 5.3oz 13g

Hummus 4 tbsp 5g protein

Spinach (cooked) 1 cup 6g

Tofu 1/2 cup 11g protein

Sources :

Weightloss surgery for dummies cookbook

The everything after weightloss surgery cookbook

I recently made a huge pot of veggie Soup and added pea Protein Powder and brown rice Protein powder. The two combined make a complete amino acid (good quality protein) and it thickens your soup like it's stew. Tastes really good and is very filling. Put some crunchy wasabi dried peas on top like crackers....was delicious.

Vegetarian is tougher post WLS, but it can be done. Talk to your nutritionist about doing it safely if that's your preference:)

6 hours ago, VSG_Meow_Bitch said:

I eat only plant based foods.
Sleeved on 12/11/17

What does your food look like over the course of a day

What does your food look like over the course of a day

I drink a pretty big smoothie consisting of a small amount of frozen fruit (about a couple tablespoons of frozen banana that I pop in the freezer when they get too ripe. Then I put in 2 scoops of raw/vegan Protein powder (mostly pea protein). A scoop of that protein powder (made by Sunwarrion) is 18 grams of protein. I also put some Bariatric chewable vitamins into the blender. I think the chewable Vitamin pills have artificial berry flavor, sucrose, and other ingredients the length of my arm.

Then around 10 am (I get up at 6) I have a juice that contains cucumbers, celery, spinach, kale, Tomato, and a little salt. We use a slow speed masticating juicer.

At around noon I eat a couple tablespoons of raw vegetables (usually zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, raw vegan sauerkraut, basil leaves, and some pine nuts just to make it creamy). Sometimes I make a totally different purée with ingredients like avocado.

I eat a couple teaspoons of more purée at around 3:00.

Then another smoothie around 5:00 or 6:00 pm. That gives me 56 grams of protein plus maybe another few of protein with my purée.

That’s it for a typical day because I’m still on the purée phase.

I’m sure the soft food phase will continue with much of the same.

I’ll probably do a lot of raw/vegan experimenting when I start the regular diet, keep close track of the fat.

I don’t think anyone would gain weight on this kind of food so I’m not particularly concerned about counting calories.

At night I crush and take my pills (Psych meds for Bipolar Disorder) and then eat two more of the vitamin tablets.

I drink a lot of Water and herbal tea all day long.

Good luck and I hope you become full of energy and have that raw food glow.

I drink a pretty big smoothie consisting of a small amount of frozen fruit (about a couple tablespoons of frozen banana that I pop in the freezer when they get too ripe. Then I put in 2 scoops of raw/vegan Protein powder (mostly pea protein). A scoop of that Protein powder (made by Sunwarrion) is 18 grams of protein. I also put some Bariatric chewable vitamins into the blender. I think the chewable Vitamin pills have artificial berry flavor, sucrose, and other ingredients the length of my arm.

Then around 10 am (I get up at 6) I have a juice that contains cucumbers, celery, spinach, kale, Tomato, and a little salt. We use a slow speed masticating juicer.

At around noon I eat a couple tablespoons of raw vegetables (usually zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, raw vegan sauerkraut, basil leaves, and some pine nuts just to make it creamy). Sometimes I make a totally different purée with ingredients like avocado.

I eat a couple teaspoons of more purée at around 3:00.

Then another smoothie around 5:00 or 6:00 pm. That gives me 56 grams of protein plus maybe another few of protein with my purée.

That’s it for a typical day because I’m still on the purée phase.

I’m sure the soft food phase will continue with much of the same.

I’ll probably do a lot of raw/vegan experimenting when I start the regular diet, keep close track of the fat.

I don’t think anyone would gain weight on this kind of food so I’m not particularly concerned about counting calories.

At night I crush and take my pills (Psych meds for Bipolar Disorder) and then eat two more of the Vitamin tablets.

I drink a lot of Water and herbal tea all day long.

Good luck and I hope you become full of energy and have that raw food glow.

Amazing thanks ! I'm going to try the cold vegetable dishes

Sent from my N817 using BariatricPal mobile app