Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleevers- is ANYONE happy with their decision?

I just got sleeved 4 days ago and at the time it seemed like that was the best option but now almost every forum and fb group I’m in is just riddled with people getting their sleeves revised to rny or bypass. Is anyone actually happy with their sleeves?

I think a lot of it has to do with people falling into old habits, which can happen with any weight loss surgery. I'm 3 lbs about from my goal and I do not regret my decision at all. I'm pleased and wouldn't change anything!

4 hours ago, Bariatric Baddie said:

I just got sleeved 4 days ago and at the time it seemed like that was the best option but now almost every forum and fb group I’m in is just riddled with people getting their sleeves revised to rny or bypass. Is anyone actually happy with their sleeves?

Three years and seven months out..I'm absolutely happy I had sleeve surgery. No revision needed.

I think you will see people come back to support forums when they are struggling. You don't need support when all is well and you are maintaining your weight.

I am about 16 months out from my sleeve surgery. I have lost 225 pounds and have been maintaining below goal beautifully for the last 4-5 months. I eat low carb and have since six months before my surgery (almost 2 years now). That's how I keep everything in check.

I am in the best shape of my life. I look amazing, and socially, I am having more fun than I even did in my 20s. (And now I have the money to back it all up! :))

The sleeve is only a tool, and it will only help you as much as you will help yourself. You have to redefine your relationship with food, set goals, and stick to them. That is the only way you are going to be successful.

My advice is to embrace your sleeve, throw yourself into being successful, and live and love your new life.

6 hours ago, Bariatric Baddie said:

You have to remember that what you read on the internet is not always true. For every good story there are at least 4 bad stories. People are more apt to share their nightmare before their good fortune. This is just basic human psychology. We share our nightmares to get reassurance or even elicit sympathy from others. Remember, you made the decision in conjunction with the medical professionals and they don't generally perform risky elective surgery. Is this going to be an easy, pain-free, and discomfort-free journey? No, it probably won't be. Instead of relying on other people's experiences to judge the wisdom of your decision, you have to ride out this phase and come to your own conclusions. If your gut feeling says that this is the best option, most likely it is.

Since I am a T2 diabetic, the best option for me is RNY. My entire care team knows that RNY will be the best surgery for reversing or curing T2 diabetes. I am putting my faith and trust in those whom are caring for me. I read about all kinds of horror stories about RNY and automatically dismiss most of them. The cold hard facts from research show that there is a less than 1% chance of complications which is statistically insignificant. Most people worry about the lifestyle changes and I think you just have to ride them out.

I'm a fairly new sleever, and i'm extremely happy:)

I love that I can continue with my pre-surgical diet that I was having a lot of success with...while eating smaller portions and feeling great. I love that 4 ounces feels full and satisfied.

I love that when I get stupid and eat a cookie or some other sugary crime (pretty rare thing, but it happens)....I feel a little gross. I don't get full on dumping syndrome...but I get a touch of nausea that reminds me that refined sugar and I are not friends. Also...if I'm smart and just have a bite of that cookie instead of the whole damned thing....I can really enjoy that bite and not feel crappy afterward. It's changing how I handle those situations, it's changing my preferences, and really helping me to stop a bad habit....or at least employ serious moderation:)

I love that I'm off my meds and my health is better. I love that I have good energy to get my seven miles of walking in each day.

I love that my clothes are getting baggy and that I look (not skinny...but) normal in a swimsuit, again.

I love my sleeve:)

Edited by Creekimp13

9 hours ago, Bariatric Baddie said:

Is anyone actually happy with their sleeves?

@Bariatric Baddie

i think most OP are happy with their sleeve.

i believe one of the main reason for sleeve to

bypass revision is bad heartburn. sleeve can be

associated with heart burn. frequently this

problem is helped by the bypass.

are you in any pain? uncomfortable, hungry?

problems eating and/or drinking? is the only

reason you are questioning WLS because some

OP have had problems? pain/etc. if you are

doing well/or not - don't compare yourself with OP

sleevers, RNY, or others. be happy where you

are. many peeps tell about their pain etc.

those are the comments you remember. for

the past 6 years and counting - i have been over

joyed with my good health that the sleeve has

helped me acquire. many/more people are happy

with their WLS. Count me as feeling great, 6 years

PO and counting, 105 lbs down GOAL - no problems

with surgery/recovery - try and feel better and

optimistic - good luck bud:rolleyes:

kathy

Thank you so much to everyone that responded. I feel so much more at peace with my decision now.

he bulk of what I’ve been seeing is most sleevers love theirs. They love to see their weight coming off even if they went thru hell with complications. Some people jump into surgeries and don’t mentally prepare and just eat every dang thing they used to.
Everyone has to do the work to succeed. Try not to listen to everyone. My dad (rip) used to say “opinions are like aholes everyone’s got em” lol

Four and a half years post op and still beyond thrilled with my decision. 135lbs down and running marathons! Never was an athlete before.

I am three and a half years out and still very happy with my decision. Like anything else weight loss surgery and the resulting weight loss is a process. You have to work at it and make a commitment

Hello I’m 10 days out from having sleeve surgery. I’m so happy I made the decision. I fought this surgery for 4 years but finally decided to have it done. I’m on week 2 puréed stage and just getting frustrated with still not able to get all the Water in and now to throw 2 Protein Shakes in. If anyone has any good recipes can you please share!! I’m new to the app. Thank you so much [emoji4]

Hello I’m 10 days out from having sleeve surgery. I’m so happy I made the decision. I fought this surgery for 4 years but finally decided to have it done. I’m on week 2 puréed stage and just getting frustrated with still not able to get all the Water in and now to throw 2 Protein Shakes in. If anyone has any good recipes can you please share!! I’m new to the app. Thank you so much [emoji4]