Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Petrified!!!!....but had an epiphany

Hi everyone. Have been reading a lot about people getting scared and questioning their decision to have VSG and wanted to share.

I’m scheduled for January 15th (a week away aghh!) and I’m currently starting week 2 of my pre-op liquid diet. The weekend was very hard because of going out with the family and them wanting to eat. But I stuck with it...but during that time, I started to freak out and question if my life was going to be like this, not being able to go out with family, friends, and never being able to eat again ( I was getting very dramatic-might have been the lack of calorie intake lol). I was really questioning my decision and even thought about calling the doctor today to postpone. I started to convince myself that I could do this on my own (especially since I’ve lost 11 lbs on the liquid diet). In the past, I’ve lost up to 70-75 lbs on my own and kept it off for over a year. So why not be able to do it again?

By Sunday night I had pretty much convinced myself and was ready to call my doctor today. Then I remembered that I had never taken pictures of myself at the start of my liquid diet, which I had wanted to do to see if I saw a difference in the two weeks. So I took the pictures and had my epiphany....I hated what I saw and for a long time i had convinced myself that I looked and felt great when I didn’t. Body dysmorphia is real. When I would lose weight I still felt fat and ugly, when I wasn’t. And when I gained the weight back, I avoided mirrors and pictures and felt and imagined being smaller than I was.

So I’m back on the wagon and even though I am still scared, I am excited again and will try to remember why I am doing this. Even though I’ve lost some pounds now, there is no way I could live off of Protein Drinks, jell-o, and broth for the rest of my life and I’m sure if I started eating again it would all come right back.

Sharing because I hope other people can relate and for support bc I think we all need it, especially me. Now to finish this darn liquid diet!

That was amazing!! You need to have that somewhere as your inspiration!! Good luck. I have lost 90 pounds and it wasn’t until this weekend that I truly realized it. My boyfriend made diner reservations at some 5 star suit and tie dress up place and when I walked by the mirror all dressed up I realized I had changed! I like you still felt like I was extremely over weight.

Hi everyone. Have been reading a lot about people getting scared and questioning their decision to have VSG and wanted to share.
I’m scheduled for January 15th (a week away aghh!) and I’m currently starting week 2 of my pre-op liquid diet. The weekend was very hard because of going out with the family and them wanting to eat. But I stuck with it...but during that time, I started to freak out and question if my life was going to be like this, not being able to go out with family, friends, and never being able to eat again ( I was getting very dramatic-might have been the lack of calorie intake lol). I was really questioning my decision and even thought about calling the doctor today to postpone. I started to convince myself that I could do this on my own (especially since I’ve lost 11 lbs on the liquid diet). In the past, I’ve lost up to 70-75 lbs on my own and kept it off for over a year. So why not be able to do it again?
By Sunday night I had pretty much convinced myself and was ready to call my doctor today. Then I remembered that I had never taken pictures of myself at the start of my liquid diet, which I had wanted to do to see if I saw a difference in the two weeks. So I took the pictures and had my epiphany....I hated what I saw and for a long time i had convinced myself that I looked and felt great when I didn’t. Body dysmorphia is real. When I would lose weight I still felt fat and ugly, when I wasn’t. And when I gained the weight back, I avoided mirrors and pictures and felt and imagined being smaller than I was.
So I’m back on the wagon and even though I am still scared, I am excited again and will try to remember why I am doing this. Even though I’ve lost some pounds now, there is no way I could live off of Protein Drinks, jell-o, and broth for the rest of my life and I’m sure if I started eating again it would all come right back.
Sharing because I hope other people can relate and for support bc I think we all need it, especially me. Now to finish this darn liquid diet! [emoji846]

Oh my gosh I feel like I’m reading my own thoughts in your post! I’m having surgery in a week, and I’m a week into pre-op diet. Struggling, but getting through. I keep second guessing myself just like you, and I also saw pictures of myself a few days ago that eliminated all doubt in my mind: I have to do this surgery.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts - I have never related to something so much. I’m so glad I’m not alone in these thoughts and fears!

I'm a little over a month out... Went out to dinner at Applebees with my hubby this weekend. Had the chicken mozzarella caprese.

Ate about a third of it, and took the rest home in a box.

I don't feel cheated. I had a wonderful night out.

Was delicious and I feel like I'm living my normal life:) (not posting the pic to torture anyone, just sayin...it's not that long until you can tolerate normal food again...so hang in there!)

eaf67537413c8414d928cd6d02624a1c.jpg

Edited by Creekimp13

That was amazing!! You need to have that somewhere as your inspiration!! Good luck. I have lost 90 pounds and it wasn’t until this weekend that I truly realized it. My boyfriend made diner reservations at some 5 star suit and tie dress up place and when I walked by the mirror all dressed up I realized I had changed! I like you still felt like I was extremely over weight.

Thank you! and congrats on the weight loss! That is amazing [emoji1] I’m so glad you realized how great you looked. Hope I can do the same!

Oh my gosh I feel like I’m reading my own thoughts in your post! I’m having surgery in a week, and I’m a week into pre-op diet. Struggling, but getting through. I keep second guessing myself just like you, and I also saw pictures of myself a few days ago that eliminated all doubt in my mind: I have to do this surgery.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts - I have never related to something so much. I’m so glad I’m not alone in these thoughts and fears!

Thanks so much for posting! So glad to know there are others that feel the same, def helps to feel I am not alone. I still keep doubting a bit but there’s a voice that keeps telling me I have to do this. Only 5 more days! I went to my pre-op today and got so anxious they had to take my blood pressure twice!!! It’s all becoming so real! Good luck with your diet and we can def help each other through this!!

I'm a little over a month out... Went out to dinner at Applebees with my hubby this weekend. Had the chicken mozzarella caprese.
Ate about a third of it, and took the rest home in a box.
I don't feel cheated. I had a wonderful night out.
Was delicious and I feel like I'm living my normal life:) (not posting the pic to torture anyone, just sayin...it's not that long until you can tolerate normal food again...so hang in there!)
eaf67537413c8414d928cd6d02624a1c.jpg&key=3948b4b3616bad9feba52f1442fcd9e166b2ae7c53b567e6b4b50a24cfa397cc

That looks delicious! Thanks for posting! Def helps me to feel I can do this and that I can enjoy going out with friends and family.

Thanks so much for posting! So glad to know there are others that feel the same, def helps to feel I am not alone. I still keep doubting a bit but there’s a voice that keeps telling me I have to do this. Only 5 more days! I went to my pre-op today and got so anxious they had to take my blood pressure twice!!! It’s all becoming so real! Good luck with your diet and we can def help each other through this!!

Oh my! You sound exactly like me! I’m constantly told my BP is high and my HR is high when I’m anywhere near a doctor lol but it only happens when I’m stressing about health related things! The irony!

I hope you’re feeling better and continue to make peace with it all. This surgery will do us so much good, we’ll be feeling like two fools for ever worrying [emoji13]. I’m 7 days away so I’ll be right behind you! Would love to keep in touch.

Omg just what I needed. I needed to know I wasn't alone. I started my liquid diet today and I'm starving. I keep asking myself if I should do this or not if its worst all this stress. But then I read all these stories and you guys all inspire me and help me feel confident in my decision to go forward with this surgery. I'm new here and just learning how to use this app. I'm sure glad I found it tho.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for sharing! I feel exactly how you have explained. Im on day 4 of the pre op liquid diet & I'm scheduled for surgery on the 16th!! Im really excited. But I cant help but still have the thoughts of second guessing myself. I know its what I truly want though! It feels good to know Im not alone. Best of luck!

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app