Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 9 days post-op from having my sleeve done. All of a sudden yesterday I started sneezing like crazy (so much fun, doesn't hurt at all). Within a few hours I had stuffy/runny nose, sore throat, some light coughing with mucus, I'm a wreck. At first it felt totally like an allergy attack - seems weird to get in the winter, but our dog is shedding a lot and is overdue for a bath. Possible that is an irritant and trying to get hubby to find the time to take her for one (bc she won't go anywhere near our bathroom). Took Claritin yesterday, felt a little better.

By last night the rest of the symptoms were kicking in...sore throat, coughing, etc. If I am getting full on sick, I don't even know what I will do. I have taken Mucinex Cold & Flu, Benadryl, you name it. Starting to feel a little nauseous for the 1st time since surgery and thinking all these meds aren't a great idea, but I don't know what else do. I am completely miserable and pretty desperate.

Has anyone else gotten sick with a bad cold/flu/allergy attack in the immediate post-op weeks? If so, what did you do? Do you think there's a chance of popping a stitch/staple (my sneezes are coming from nowhere and feel like hurricane-force). Just figured I'd ask and try to get some help. Thx :)

On my way out the door today I went to grab another Mucinex and the pack I had originally taken from was empty. So I just grabbed one from the next pack...popped it in my mouth...took a swig of water...swallowed it...noticed how huge it felt sliding down my sore throat...and realized I had - being on auto-pilot - just swallowed a huge gel-cap! Like huge, huge. And thought, "What the Hell did I just do?! What was I thinking?!" (I wasn't, obviously). It was too late to undo it, so as my son drove me to the eye doctor's I just kept sipping on my Water hoping all would be ok and I didn't pop a stitch/staple with this ginormous pill - or whatever else might go wrong as a result, I don't even know.

The eye doctor appt took 2 hours. A lot of sitting, leaning forward, carefully bending down to look at frames, etc. By the time we left I was NOT feeling so good. My voice was extremely froggy, throat dry and sore (forgot to take my water bottle in w/me, of course). I felt really tired, and I started getting some cramps on the left side of my abdomen. Sort of felt like menstrual cramps - def partially around the ovary area - but then some slightly higher. At first I was really worried, but then I got home, my son brought me home liquid cold medicine - whoo hoo! It's so gross...but anyway...I had some chicken broth...a little Vitamin water...promptly fell asleep watching TV w/hubs.

He woke me at 8:30 and sent me off to bed. I took my usual night time meds for my Fibro/Back Pain/UTI prevention/Migraine prevention/Cholesterol (whew I really hope I can get off some of these one of these days). Anyway, I have an adjustable bed, so I had the head raised and was going to do some stuff on my laptop til the meds kicked in bc I was feeling a little awake by now.

Next thing I know it's 3:30 a.m., my laptop is still on the bedside cart (I never even got far enough to pick it up...?). Get up to use the bathroom and notice my stomach is really distended. It feels all big, round, and tight, and one of my incisions is really sore - which they have been healing fine. So I take a look and I think it looks ok (incision) but can't believe how huge my stomach is! This was a busy day and I ate less than usual due to being sick and having the long appointment. So one Protein Shake, one cup of chicken broth w/added Protein Powder, a sugar-free popsicle, a vitamin water, and regular water surely were not the cause of THIS?

Feeling super worried, but take more cough medicine, try to fall back to sleep. Notice that while lying more flat now it feels like there's a tight band around my abdomen. Like when I breathe it feels like there's a tight but stretchy belt between naval and sternum that stretches out when I inhale, and back in when I exhale. It's pretty scary because I've only ever felt anything similar when I was hugely pregnant (nope, not a chance)...So I get up to consult Dr. Internet, and I can't even find a complication that matches my symptoms! Huh. No nausea/vomiting, no fever/chills, no real issues taking fluids (hurts some/get gurgling still if I accidentally swallow too much at once or too fast, but that seems to be the normal response to accidentally doing those things this early on).

Maybe it's a lot of gas bloating for some reason? Maybe I'm premenstrual and this is super-duper Fluid retention? I don't know, and Dr. Internet is being of no help.

Anyone else ever experience something like this (especially after swallowing a big pill/chunk of food etc. that already has you concerned?

I’m sorry to hear you feel so sick... maybe a call to your team would put your mind at rest. Hope you feel better soon x

Kate

I just emailed them! Thank you ;)

Yes definitely contact the DR's office. It's probably nothing, but could also be something serious. Hopefully the cold isn't too bad, I didn't personally have that happen, but know folks who have. They had no long term issues... But you don't want it to get really bad and have coughing fits etc.

Hope you feel better soon

Edited by Losebig

Spoke with both surgeons and they assured me everything sounded fine - just a typical cold that's easy to pick up when flying. They said if the pill hadn't gone down that there would have been no doubt - it would have caused a partial blockage and I would have more pain and not be able to take fluids as well. Also the cold medicine was fine to take as a liquid - since I am taking a PPI there is much less chance of stomach irritation (their words, not mine).

They said that after the Day 10 mark you kind of turn a corner and have a far less chance of a leak or post-op surgical complication, and more a chance of having something like an obstruction, which of course is an emergency. That's why the diet phases are so strict.

They were concerned with the distention, but after further discussion said it sounded much more likely to be gas in the large bowel, which crosses from right to left about a few inches above the belly button, which of course is where I was feeling the "tightening band" sensation. Just advised to be careful in taking in excessive air unnecessarily, and try Gas-X and/or a warm heating pad to help with the cramping/spasms (tight band sensation).

Actually got a pretty good anatomy lesson as well as more insight into this surgery and recovering from it, so it was kind of worth it. So just some extra info for anyone who might have the same thing happen, but of course you should always consult your own surgeon, especially if fever/chills/extreme nausea/vomiting are present.

On the clear liqiud diet 2 week due to removal of lap band and hernia first 10 days was very smooth but for the last 4 days I have had severe gas pains any suggestions

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/11/2018 at 11:09 PM, Samore said:

the last 4 days I have had severe gas pains any suggestions

If you haven't already, I would suggest Gas-X strips or dissolvable tablets, plus a hot Water bottle or warm heating pad over mid to lower ab area (also around sides toward back can help if you have any discomfort there). That is what my surgeons suggested and it has helped me a lot.