Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood sugar levels up after surgery should I be worried?

I am 12 days post-op and for some reason my blood sugar levels are up, I have never had a problem with elevated levels until I was in the hospital for surgery, it was up to 140 after surgery, it was 89 before, they treated it and it was fine when they discharged me the next day, and it has been normal up until tonight, it is up a bit tonight despite not eating/drinking anything with any carbs for 8+ hours (only Water and chicken bone broth) anyone else expierenced anything like this? Should I be concerned or is this just a leftover side effect of the surgery? TIA

That’s a strange symptom to have. I’d be inclined to call your surgeon’s office and discuss this with them. Perhaps it’s a temporary thing while your body adjusts to your new stomach and caloric intake. Speak with your surgeon and perhaps they can give you the medicines they used to treat it in hospital.

3 hours ago, sleevedin2018 said:

That’s a strange symptom to have. I’d be inclined to call your surgeon’s office and discuss this with them. Perhaps it’s a temporary thing while your body adjusts to your new stomach and caloric intake. Speak with your surgeon and perhaps they can give you the medicines they used to treat it in hospital.

It would be wise to speak with your surgeon because this should not be the case. My endocrinologist even told me that she was almost certain that I would not be taking any of my diabetes medications anymore, after surgery. She said that it might even lead to dangerously low blood sugars if I were to take them. Instead, my endo advised to check my blood sugars for about a week post-op to ensure that the numbers did not get above 140. If the numbers don't go down then both my endo and surgeon need to communicate.

Stress can cause your blood sugar to go up. Major surgery is stressful...physically and emotionally.

Consult your doctor on how to handle this...it's what he/she is there for:)

Also, nice work documenting and checking your sugar....that's really helpful. Make sure to record the time, what you're eating, and any exercise you're getting, too. Your doctor will appreciate this in guiding you.

Your body is reacting to the stress of surgery. Keep a log and take it to your appointments. Each person is different and many times we place our nondiabetic patients on insulin after surgery because of this reason and it’s temporary while in hospital. Great job monitoring it by the way!

I am kind of thinking it is probably a result of the shock of everything, I am keeping track and as long as it doesn't vary too far from my average I think I am just going to wait and see, for a little bit longer, like a week or so, thanks for the input everyone, it just kind of freaked me out being that I am not diabetic, and have never had issues with it going up, I have been testing for years because I often ran low and they had me on a med that could make it even lower.

140 is not horrible though. I know if mine goes past 160 then I need to call my dr. Mine has been steady 75-100, with out diabetes medication! I have to check mine 4 times a day. In the hospital it was going below 55 with out diabetes meds. Everyones body is different. Gl!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 224 (1/3/18)
RGW 199
GW 175