Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Shanta’ and I am actually sending this message on behalf of my mother Anna who has gastric bypass surgery yesterday. I encouraged her to join a support group to help her through this process and I came across this forum. As I mentioned she had gastric bypass surgery and she’s having a hard time. I’ve seen several posts on here where people did well and didn’t have a lot of pain at all afterwards. She seems to be the opposite and is quite a bit of pain. She has back problems so laying immobile in the bed doesn’t help. She didn’t get her pain meds until a few hours after surgery because the pharmacy had to wait to confirm it so the pain caught up with her. I wanted to ask how long will it take generally for the pain to subside.?. How did most handle the pain once they were released from the hospital, what did they take? Any tricks to minimize the pain? Due to the pain she’s second guessing her decision but I told her it will get better and she will be better health wise, it will just take time. So anyone who can offer anY words of encouragement or advice with her being new to the forum it would be great. Thanks in advance

Hi hon - it must be hard to watch your mom go through this. So lovely you are there.

Keeping on top of the pain from the start is important, and it is very rough that they messed that up. It does pass very quickly though - I had open surgery (not laparoscopic) and was cut open from ribs to tummy button - three days later I was only taking the odd Paracetamol. So it passes quick.

If she had laparoscopic surgery, the gas they pumped in to her abdomen to separate her organs is very painful after the op - many short walks helps that A LOT, and will help her back too. Also, a recliner chair was easier than a bed, for me.

Take care of yourself while you do this hard stuff for your mom...

What the poster above said about walking -- move, move, move - at least once an hour get up and walk around the house. Much of the pain is the gas from the air they pump in so getting it out is key. I found that sitting in a chair with my feet up on an ottoman (I don't have a recliner) was helpful. Also, stay ahead of the pain and alternate her pain killer with Tylenol if her surgical team says that's ok. (Mine did, but I didn't use any pain meds after leaving the hospital - I have a very high pain threshold.) That first week sucks. It gets better. Hang in there.

Agree. I am almost one month post op bypass. I did not have a lot of gas pain as I was walking a lot in the hospital and as soon as I came home. I did have an incision that was more painful than the others. It was a burning and stinging pain. If you nose around it seems most of us have one incision that hurt the worst.

I was moving slow for a bit. The hospital gave me a reacher thing so I didn’t have to bend over to pick up stuff and I even had a device to help me put my socks on.

Everyone is different but she will get better!

7 hours ago, Biddynz said:

Hi hon - it must be hard to watch your mom go through this. So lovely you are there.

Keeping on top of the pain from the start is important, and it is very rough that they messed that up. It does pass very quickly though - I had open surgery (not laparoscopic) and was cut open from ribs to tummy button - three days later I was only taking the odd Paracetamol. So it passes quick.

If she had laparoscopic surgery, the gas they pumped in to her abdomen to separate her organs is very painful after the op - many short walks helps that A LOT, and will help her back too. Also, a recliner chair was easier than a bed, for me.

Take care of yourself while you do this hard stuff for your mom...

Thanks so much for your response. I keep telling her it will get better each day. I believe they will send her home with liquid lortab initially then it will be up to her to control the pain. Hopefully by that time she will be just sore and no pain. It is hard to see her go to through this but I'm sure there is light at the end of the tunnel

6 hours ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

What the poster above said about walking -- move, move, move - at least once an hour get up and walk around the house. Much of the pain is the gas from the air they pump in so getting it out is key. I found that sitting in a chair with my feet up on an ottoman (I don't have a recliner) was helpful. Also, stay ahead of the pain and alternate her pain killer with Tylenol if her surgical team says that's ok. (Mine did, but I didn't use any pain meds after leaving the hospital - I have a very high pain threshold.) That first week sucks. It gets better. Hang in there.

She has walked a few times since surgery but not a lot. I will encourage her I walk in the AM, I'm staying with her tonight at the hospital. She has spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease and she's suffered through that daily with no pain meds so she thought Shen and a high pain tolerance until this surgery. She needs it just to keep her comfortable. Thanks for yor reply

5 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Agree. I am almost one month post op bypass. I did not have a lot of gas pain as I was walking a lot in the hospital and as soon as I came home. I did have an incision that was more painful than the others. It was a burning and stinging pain. If you nose around it seems most of us have one incision that hurt the worst.

I was moving slow for a bit. The hospital gave me a reacher thing so I didn’t have to bend over to pick up stuff and I even had a device to help me put my socks on.

7 hours ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

5 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Thanks for replying it's probably a combination of regular pain and gas pain but mostly gas pain. I will keep encouraging her to walk. One day at a time. i was reading about liquid Tylenol, is that the kids formula OTC or a prescription?

I bought regular adult liquid Tylenol over the counter. You may also find some chewable gas x tablets helpful as well.

Walking is key for sure, the gas pain was the worst for me and getting it out as soon as possible was the only real relief, staying on top of the pain is important too. I took fentanyl in the hospital and was discharged on Norco but I hate the way narcotics make me feel so I started liquid Tylenol as quickly as possible and used that for about 2 weeks as needed.

Something similar happen to me.. after I was release from the hospital my husband went to get my pills .. not there .. I call the hospital and they told me .. they didn’t confirm transaction .. so guess what .. it’s too late gotta wait the next day.. pharmacy is close. So I went all my afternoon and night to the next day with no pain killers .. couldn’t sleep much .. had my recliner .. helped lots with bunch of pillows. And walking.
Also I would walk After taking my pill .. less pain and after my walk ... Water sleep. And to keep in mind why I’m doing this. Is hard.. but it will get better.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:33 AM, KimTriesRNY said:

I bought regular adult liquid Tylenol over the counter. You may also find some chewable gas x tablets helpful as well.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:33 AM, KimTriesRNY said:

Thank you