Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss first week.

Took me until I have bone on bone arthritis, low back spondylolisthesis, and to be 65 years of age to talk myself into getting this done. Went into hospital and had sleeve on 12/18/17. Home late next day. Weighed 334 on day of surgery, 228.7 day before yesterday and actually gained to 229.2 today!!!! I am terrified. I am eating exactly what they say and trying to walk around several times a day (very hard due to bones and joints, but am forcing myself). Not constipated. Shouldn't I lose really fast at first? I have a recurring nightmare that I get the surgery and don't lose weight. Am I spazzing out unnecessarily? What is the usual amount to lose as I go through the first few weeks. I am scared to get on the scale now. Help!

You are spazzing out unnecessarily. Water weight can account for several pounds being out of place. How much salt you eat in a day can figure in significantly. Taking certain medications can also make you retain water.

Weight loss is individual. Keep in mind you're not a couple hundred pounds overweight....you will lose less per month than many people who have weight loss surgery because you are starting smaller.

You're worrying unnecessarily. Due to your lower starting weight, you're unlikely to lose rapidly like the super morbidly obese folks on My 600-Pound Life.

You probably won't see daily losses, so stay off the scale and allow your body to sort out the trauma it's just experienced.

You gained 0.5 pounds, but it isn't fat. To gain 0.5 pounds of fat, you'd need to have overeaten approximately 1,750 calories. Given your current condition, that's impossible.

Stay off the scale until your 1-month post-op appointment. Good luck to you. :)

Hi! Getting around pretty well considering my age and joints. How about you? I have only lost 6 pounds since surgery days, learning how to get fluids and Protein in. Had a hiatal hernia fixed at same time apparently and a gallbladder full of stones sucked out too. But, hey, at least there is no more anxious trepidation, right? So it’s all good! I follow up Wed. Happy Holidays!

I was sleeved on 12/19 and was having the same worry until I re-read my preop notes again. My preop counselor advised that the last thing she wants us to do when we come home from the hospital is to weigh ourselves as we would be retaining Fluid, hydration should be our main concern - the weight loss will come if we follow our plans.

Hi! Getting around pretty well considering my age and joints. How about you? I have only lost 6 pounds since surgery days, learning how to get fluids and Protein in. Had a hiatal hernia fixed at same time apparently and a gallbladder full of stones sucked out too. But, hey, at least there is no more anxious trepidation, right? So it’s all good! I follow up Wed. Happy Holidays!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

They repaired my hernia thank goodness the gallbladder was already out. I've lost 15 and a half pounds. They had us come in last Friday and they removed the drain so we didn't have to have it over Christmas. And I feel a lot better since they remove that. I've been all pain medicines for 4 days now and I'm back to driving. I am 55 with degenerative joint disease. I've had both hips replaced and a controlled break of my leg to reposition my kneecap. Needless to say I've been rung through the ringer.

23 hours ago, ginnybark said:

Weighed 334 on day of surgery, 228.7 day before yesterday and actually gained to 229.2 today!!!!

I've been weighing myself every day, and have seen small fluctuations like that. I freaked out a little too, then decided to let it ride. Every day isn't going to be a winning day for the scale. In fact, I should probably back off a little on the weigh-ins, might see some more dramatic progress that way. Also, each person is different in terms of how fast or slow weight loss will be. I was 307 on surgery day (12/7) and weighed in today, 2.5 weeks later, at 299. I feel like it should be faster given my starting weight, but I also realize that my metabolism right now just may not allow for rapid weight loss. I anticipate better results once I'm able to start eating "real" food in another 2.5 weeks. Just let it ride for now, keep an eye on it; it sounds like you're doing everything right but you're body just isn't ready to let go of your pounds just yet.

I was also sleeved on 12/18. When I got home from the hospital and weighed myself, I gained 4.8lbs. My second day home and after peeing A TON, ended up dropping 7lbs ---- of course, mostly Water. I also struggle with weighing myself too much and will be attempting to just pick one day to weigh myself and keeping the scale completely out-of- sight until the next time, for temptation-sake. Happy Holidays!