Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days post-op

I feel that I haven’t seen too many people on here with my issue. I am currently in stage 2 so still on liquids. All day I just feel hungry and I want to have food to chew. I am just getting up to my goals of Fluid and Protein so I am taking in a decent amount. I am so anxious to get to the soft solids to hopefully feel a little fuller. I know some of this is caused by my brain but it’s hard to tell sometimes. Does anyone have suggestions for trying to feel fuller? During the day I have been “eating” protein Soup, Protein Shake, skim milk, Jello, chicken broth and lots of Water. Any other suggestions for feeling fuller? I am looking so forward to stage 3!!

I felt like adding some soy milk to my Soup broth helped, it is a little thicker than regular milk and makes the soup have a creamy texture. You may just want something to chew, you can try a sugar free popsicle.

I was extremely hungry in the days (and weeks) following surgery. I was quite upset about it - even made a ranting post or two regarding it. It happens to some people.

Are you taking a proton pump inhibitor? I've read that excess stomach acid may make one feel hungrier.

It helped me to be able to crunch something. Try eating ice. Frozen Pickle Juice is great for the crunchy + salty craving, just don't overdo as it is acidic.

I am also five days post op and I noticed that if u drink more Water it helps to not want anything else I’ve definitely noticed that it’s a mind game that u have to play with yourself to get the hunger or want thoughts out. I did notice that eating a mint has helped

I am 10’days post op and I was hungry Day 2 and thought I was nuts. One, I know part of it was mental. The other I was legit hungry. I asked the nurse when I went in for IV therapy and she said to try and take bites of yogurt or drink some Protein Shake every two hours. But even now when I’m hungry say when I’m going to bed i look back at what I’ve had and it’s not a lot even though I’ve met my Protein goals

you won't feel full until you start eating dense Protein, so don't chase the full feeling - you won't get it for awhile. Also, with being hungry - sometimes acid will cause that. Are you on some kind of acid med, like a PPI?

I've been soooooo hungry too! For the first week I felt the need to eat something, really eat, all the time. It's been really upsetting to me as I thought I wouldn't be hungry. I was sleeved on 12/7. When I saw the PA on 12/14, she said the feeling like I need to eat something may be excess stomach acid. I'm already on a proton pump inhibitor (omeprazole, to keep stop acid at bay) but I think I may need to increase my dose. Also, I've been less hungry since I received IV fluids on 12/14. I had been so nauseous that I wasn't getting my fluids in and became dehydrated. For the past couple days I met my Fluid goal so that probably had something to do with reducing the hunger. Maybe try getting even more fluid than you are now? Being farther out from surgery may help as well. Maybe the hunger hormones are still filtering out of the system. Hope you get some relief.

This is the first I’ve read about sleeved patients being hungry post-surgery. It’s very concerning because I thought that’s specifically what made the sleeve such a great option

5 minutes ago, Cath226 said:

This is the first I’ve read about sleeved patients being hungry post-surgery. It’s very concerning because I thought that’s specifically what made the sleeve such a great option

Me too! I thought I wouldn't be hungry. I'm hoping that it will dissipate the farther along I get in my recovery, as it's been a little less intense these past couple of days. Hunger was really intense the first week.

Had my surgery on Thursday. It’s now Sunday morning and I’m home from the controlled environment of the hospital. Happy to be home but overwhelmed a bit, too. My pain is not so bad but I, too, feel hungry. Yesterday was worse than this morning so that’s encouraging. We bought sugar free popsicles and that’s helping a lot. My nurses said I couldn’t start Protein Shakes until I had a BM. That has not happened yet so I will be drinking some Miralax to get things moving. Thinking that the Protein will fill me up a lot more. Hoping to get out for a nice walk today and get all of my Vitamins and medications organized . Right now my nurse said my number one goal should be fluids. Drink, Drink, Drink. Dehydration is a big issue post op apparently. But trying to not over do the drinking so I don’t feel nauseous has been tough. They already have me eating puréed foods or as they say foods soft enough that a plastic fork can cut into them. Does anyone have a favorite Protein Shake that is lower in sugar but still tastes ok? They gave me a long list of options but i would love some suggestions for when I start that phase.

Head hunger... thats all it is.. drink Water and you will realize is not hunger [emoji12]. Don’t let your mind play tricks on you...

Head hunger... thats all it is.. drink Water and you will realize is not hunger [emoji12]. Don’t let your mind play tricks on you...

Unfortunately it’s not all head hunger. I know when it’s in my head but this is definitely my stomach never feeling full and it is growling all the time. Not the sounds when your stomach is processing “food” but true growling. I am just moving ahead and looking forward to the next stage to get something heavier in my stomach. Thanks. Good luck with everything.

I felt like adding some soy milk to my Soup broth helped, it is a little thicker than regular milk and makes the soup have a creamy texture. You may just want something to chew, you can try a sugar free popsicle.

Thanks I will have to try that.

I was extremely hungry in the days (and weeks) following surgery. I was quite upset about it - even made a ranting post or two regarding it. It happens to some people.
Are you taking a proton pump inhibitor? I've read that excess stomach acid may make one feel hungrier.
It helped me to be able to crunch something. Try eating ice. Frozen Pickle Juice is great for the crunchy + salty craving, just don't overdo as it is acidic.

Never heard of the proton pump inhibitor. I go back to the surgeon on Tuesday so I will ask. Thanks for the info.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will take them and try to get them to work for me. I really think I need to get to the next stage with heavier food. I had a lot of bad habits that I need to undo to this body.