Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liver Shrinking Diet AFTER Surgery

Hey all, I had my surgery about 4 months ago, and while things overall are going well, my loss has slowed significantly. I know this is to be expected, but it's been over a month and I've also noticed my habits slipping a bit more than I'm comfortable with.

Before my surgery, I had to follow a two week liver shrinking diet, which was basically a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, and a reasonable (400-500 calorie) dinner, plus unlimited "free" Snacks (sugar-free Jell-O, pickles, etc.) It wasn't as hard as I expected. and I achieved amazing results (17 pounds lost in 2 weeks).

I have read that one method for breaking a plateau after surgery is to go back on that diet for 1-2 weeks. I am also considering a 10-day "pouch reset" afterwards (basically simulating the 15 weeks post-surgery) to slowly work back to normal foods. Anyone had any luck with something like that, or know of any good reason it's a bad idea? I already plan to reach out to my surgeon to ask, but would appreciate all your insights as well. Thanks!

I'm 4 months post op as of yesterday the 14th, and I'm in a similar rut. Weight loss is very slow. I feel like my lack of exercise is contributing to the slow weight loss and the numerous stalls. Our food choices are probably pretty much on point, give or take the small indulgences, I believe. We just need to move! I'm speaking for myself here, but maybe that's your issue too. I have an elliptical at home that I need to utilize more on a daily basis.

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

15 minutes ago, soready17 said:

I'm 4 months post op as of yesterday the 14th, and I'm in a similar rut. Weight loss is very slow. I feel like my lack of exercise is contributing to the slow weight loss and the numerous stalls. Our food choices are probably pretty much on point, give or take the small indulgences, I believe. We just need to move! I'm speaking for myself here, but maybe that's your issue too. I have an elliptical at home that I need to utilize more on a daily basis.

As someone who's been perpetually fighting food demons since I was 9 (and this might not apply to either of you), this language disturbs me and sends up a red flag.

"Our food choices are probably pretty much on point, give or take the small indulgences, I believe."

Why? So let me explain how tricky MY mind is...you might find under analysis that your mind is equally tricky. My mind is a little deceptive b***h who loves keeping my ass fat. So it lies to me daily--sometimes hourly--especially when it's wanting a fix.

1. "Probably pretty much on point" - As someone who is morbidly obese, I can't and won't succeed on "probably, pretty much." Cuz I know that if I am not precise, I will overload and underestimate/under-report. The difference in caloric/carb/protein/fat intake could be up to 25% higher than I should be targeting. So guess what? No weight loss would happen. I have to:

a. Know my targets specifically and know that I lose at those targets.

b. Weigh on a scale anything going down my piehole to precisely know I'm hitting those targets and not listening to my lying little fat b***h brain who ALWAYS wants more food. More! More! More!

2. "Give or take small indulgences." - While I've no doubt that some people have no issues with small indulgences--they neither send them careening down a one way alley to excess, nor do they give them a metabolic hiccup. I'm different. If I deviate, I stall. The. End. Seriously. If I have a small indulgence, I WILL either regain 2-4lbs or else, I will stop losing for 2-4 days. So my choice in deviating with small indulgences is to choose how much I'm willing to sacrifice for that "indulgence." The other problem I have with that statement is defining "give or take." How often do these indulgences occur? Are they weekly, daily? Once a year? Indulge often enough (especially with a severely broken metabolism like mine) and you stall out.

I call attention to these not because I'm trying to harass or hassle either of you, but because you are experiencing stalls. Had you made your comments and told us you were still continuing to lose, I'd say, "Dayum!!! So dang jelly! I wish I could indulge and still lose!" But since you're both having stalls, that sends the red flag up and makes me think that your lying little fat brain is dallying with your drive. And that can't ever end well.

Edited by FluffyChix

Having a stall or weight loss being slower is perfectly normal. If you are sure f what you eat that it is the right choices and know all your macro (a food journal especially in the first year is very important) weight will come down eventually. At 4 months you are still in the honeymoon phase. Let your body catch up and measure your body.

You might not lose on the scale but your body might be changing.

And if you have any worries about your diet, go see your nutritionist use all your tools.

As someone who's been perpetually fighting food demons since I was 9 (and this might not apply to either of you), this language disturbs me and sends up a red flag.
"Our food choices are probably pretty much on point, give or take the small indulgences, I believe."
Why? So let me explain how tricky MY mind is...you might find under analysis that your mind is equally tricky. My mind is a little deceptive b***h who loves keeping my ass fat. So it lies to me daily--sometimes hourly--especially when it's wanting a fix.
1. "Probably pretty much on point" - As someone who is morbidly obese, I can't and won't succeed on "probably, pretty much." Cuz I know that if I am not precise, I will overload and underestimate/under-report. The difference in caloric/carb/protein/fat intake could be up to 25% higher than I should be targeting. So guess what? No weight loss would happen. I have to:
a. Know my targets specifically and know that I lose at those targets.
b. Weigh on a scale anything going down my piehole to precisely know I'm hitting those targets and not listening to my lying little fat b***h brain who ALWAYS wants more food. More! More! More!
2. "Give or take small indulgences." - While I've no doubt that some people have no issues with small indulgences--they neither send them careening down a one way alley to excess, nor do they give them a metabolic hiccup. I'm different. If I deviate, I stall. The. End. Seriously. If I have a small indulgence, I WILL either regain 2-4lbs or else, I will stop losing for 2-4 days. So my choice in deviating with small indulgences is to choose how much I'm willing to sacrifice for that "indulgence." The other problem I have with that statement is defining "give or take." How often do these indulgences occur? Are they weekly, daily? Once a year? Indulge often enough (especially with a severely broken metabolism like mine) and you stall out.
I call attention to these not because I'm trying to harass or hassle either of you, but because you are experiencing stalls. Had you made your comments and told us you were still continuing to lose, I'd say, "Dayum!!! So dang jelly! I wish I could indulge and still lose!" But since you're both having stalls, that sends the red flag up and makes me think that your lying little fat brain is dallying with your drive. And that can't ever end well.

First, I'll clarify what I meant. When I said probably pretty much on point..I used those words because I wasn't sure of the OP's situation because I used the word 'our'. As for me, mine is definetly on point. I track everything on MFP. I do indulge on some carbs like doritos, wheat thins, some pita bread with my meals, etc. No candy or sugar laden Snacks. I don't want to live my life on a strict diet so my approach isn't for anyone to follow but myself. HOWEVER, I agree the mind is definetly a lying fat bit** lol. I majored in psych so I analyze myself all the time and ask myself why am I doing this why am I doing that? I admit I have a huge problem, because I self sabotage and I am currently seeking mental help with that because I truly and finally realize I won't succeed if I don't fix my head. I lost only 6 pounds the 4th month post vsg.. with 2 or 3 pound drops and stalls for the remainder of the month. I see what my problem is and it's excerise...something I need to do consistently to reach my goal. I'm so scared the Honeymoon phase will be over and I will regret not doing everything I could have to lose all this excess weight. The anxiety is paralyzing me where I know what I need to do but I dont do it.
So, I experimented last week with following the diet to a T... 70-90g Protein 30g carb and 64oz of Water around 700 calories.... I thought I would at least break the stall but I woke up 1 pound heavier so it's kind of discouraging me... that's why I think it's the exercise. When I eat the "extra" stuff my calories are around 1000-1200... never more than that...so I have a few hypothesis about what's going on with me. Ugh I don't know anymore just feel drained.

1 minute ago, soready17 said:

First, I'll clarify what I meant. When I said probably pretty much on point..I used those words because I wasn't sure of the OP's situation because I used the word 'our'. As for me, mine is definetly on point. I track everything on MFP. I do indulge on some carbs like doritos, wheat thins, some pita bread with my meals, etc. No candy or sugar laden Snacks. I don't want to live my life on a strict diet so my approach isn't for anyone to follow but myself. HOWEVER, I agree the mind is definetly a lying fat bit** lol. I majored in psych so I analyze myself all the time and ask myself why am I doing this why am I doing that? I admit I have a huge problem, because I self sabotage and I am currently seeking mental help with that because I truly and finally realize I won't succeed if I don't fix my head. I lost only 6 pounds the 4th month post vsg.. with 2 or 3 pound drops and stalls for the remainder of the month. I see what my problem is and it's excerise...something I need to do consistently to reach my goal. I'm so scared the Honeymoon phase will be over and I will regret not doing everything I could have to lose all this excess weight. The anxiety is paralyzing me where I know what I need to do but I dont do it.
So, I experimented last week with following the diet to a T... 70-90g Protein 30g carb and 64oz of Water around 700 calories.... I thought I would at least break the stall but I woke up 1 pound heavier so it's kind of discouraging me... that's why I think it's the exercise. When I eat the "extra" stuff my calories are around 1000-1200... never more than that...so I have a few hypothesis about what's going on with me. Ugh I don't know anymore just feel drained.

Dayum. That pretty much sucks but it also sounds like you're really cognizant of the pitfalls. ((hugs)) It's very stressful and you know, cortisol is the enemy of fat loss. I hear ya about the maxing the honeymoon period. I'm terrified of squandering that time! Or what if I'm one of the people for whom WLS isn't that successful (meaning I lack even 1 copy of that WLS gene). Terrifying.

I do know WL is never linear. And if you look, some people's 4th month is only single digit small numbers--so maybe it's a "thing." If it were me, I'd hightail it back to my nutritionist and surgeon with all my food print outs/logs/spreadsheets and demand they make sense of it and give me a plan and targets lol.

I would also break-up with the Doritos, wheat thins, et al until some unspecified later date in history. Even though you are eating 30g of carbs per day, there is a WORLD of difference in where those grams come from. And if they are hitting your blood stream fast enough, they're causing an insulin shift that may just be big enough that it's causing a metabolic log jam.

I'm the last to say someone has to be perfect, or follow my rules. My rules only work for me. They've been years in the making. You know? LOTS of trial and even more error. LOL. And I am still a fatass beast! LOL. If it were me, at least for the honeymoon period, I'd follow my RD and doc's plan to the exact letter of the law. And be able to have them adjust if it wasn't working. I do not plan on deviating when I'm blessed enough to finally be allowed the surgery. For me it's like being scared straight. You know?

Sorry you are struggling!

I am also 4 months post op as of the 7th. Although my weight loss has slowed dramatically, I am still losing pounds here and there. I am also still losing inches. I will lose a pound a week for 2-3 weeks, then have a 3 or 4 pound loss the next week. I don't even worry about it. I just keep on doing the damn thing. I do have a cheat meal every week or so. I log everything, and hold myself accountable though. My cheat meals are normally modified to make them healthier as well. I will have a slice or two of veggie pizza on cauliflower crust, a chicken fajita taco salad with no shell or dressing, or a half turkey cheeseburger "protein style" with as much veggies as I can get.

I am only 14 pounds from my goal, and I'm not letting junk keep me from reaching it in the next 2 months.

Don't worry about stalls. They are going to happen. You don't need resets either. Just go back to what you were doing in the first place. No junk food snacking, and logging and weighing everything. If you stopped being active, well get moving. Everyone should be active anyway. That heart needs exercise.