Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Late December Sleevers?

These posts worry me a little. I’m 8 days out and I can gulp Water, feel little restriction and there hasn’t been a single food that has caused me any problems. The only effect from the surgery that I feel is lack of hunger. This may sound great to you if you are having difficulties, but I wonder if this surgery may not work for me. Is that possible? I have not eaten much and have been pretty good on my diet, so I’m good so far, but...

The surgery will work for u just fine as long as u think positive, stick to ur goals and don’t over eat. The sleeve isn’t so that certain foods will make u sick so u don’t eat them. That’s more like gastric bypass where u have no stomach acids to break down food that travel straight to ur intestines. The sleeve is a restrictive surgery meaning restriction from the amount of food u can consume in one sitting. I’m 10 days out and I haven’t had one food make me sick and I can gulp water too. But I can feel when I’m full or getting there and I’m not hungry between meals like I used to be. U have to look at it in a positive light. The goal is not to be sick from eating certain kinds of food. It’s to eat what U like just in strict moderation. Granted u may not be able to tolerate certain foods as u used to. For instance beef, it takes a long time to digest period so it could make u feel very heavy, bloated & fuller quicker verses eating ground turkey. It’s softer and lighter and more easily digestible so u may be able to eat a little more turkey than u would beef, if that makes sense. Doesn’t necessarily mean ur gonna go throw it up or experience dumping.

1 hour ago, abefroman329 said:

I would also think that full fat foods in general would increase the chances of getting gallstones.

Probably - I don't have a gall bladder any more, so I don't think too much about that I suppose

It was probably the sugar content of the oats. Less than a week after surgery, I cooked 1/4 c of regular oatmeal in 1c milk and it went down fine. Then I tried regular brown sugar instant oatmeal with twice the milk and it was hell on earth. I tried sugar-free brown sugar instant oatmeal, again with twice as much milk, but it was still hard to eat. I think the key is plain oatmeal, cooked on the stove.

The good thing is...once it's done there is no going back! So far the best part is to see my 12 year old daughter not wanting to eat high carbs and wanting to loose weight along with her momma! I was so worried about her gaining so much weight...so not that I just did something to change my life to be healthy , but I am changing hers. So far this has been the absolute most precious gift towards my new life! I just wish I would have done this sooner. She's my diet buddy. It's not easy but it will be worth it.

So I'm day 7 post op, dying to have some real food. Tried scramble egg made very soft, 2 small nibble bites , was bend over in pain because of gas or something [emoji15]
Tried hummus, 1-2 tsp that storks fine if u take 15 minutes to finish that.
Today tried mashed potato, no issues with it but felt guilty because of carbs[emoji853]
Tried baby food .. goes well but yucksss . So far I try to take 2 shakes a day ( mostly finish 1 and 1/2 ) 1 Greek yogurt small cup and a cup or may be 2 ( total 8oz ) of homemade chicken broth .
Any one has stage 2 post op diet to share?
HW=255 SW=230 CW=216.4

I am phase 2 post op, but my surgeon has a really strict phase 2 and mine seems to be different then everyone’s. 1 week post surgery I’m on Clear Liquids only w/ 1 Protein Shake a day. That’s phase 1. Phase 2 is 2 weeks of full liquids, my choices are yogurt, creamed Soups strained, broth, Jello, pudding, popsicles and that’s it. Today I had some Tomato Soup w/ skim milk. And then couple popsicles and for dinner I had a Protein shake. That’s all I really could force myself to eat today lol.

I go back and forth! I'm starting to introduce foods. So far the only thing it seems I can't tolerate is refried Beans. :( I'm going slow, though. I'm gobbling up yogurt. I don't feel starving, but I do feel hungry often. But I find I can't finish even a small yogurt. But then 30 min later, I feel hungry again...

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

WOW! I'm not very full and have found i can eat anything. I wonder if that's a sign of leaky gut. ?? Anyone?

Trust me if u have any gastrointestinal leaks you would know. U would be sooooooo sick. Like being poisoned inside sick. U wouldn’t wanna eat a thing

I go back and forth! I'm starting to introduce foods. So far the only thing it seems I can't tolerate is refried Beans. [emoji20] I'm going slow, though. I'm gobbling up yogurt. I don't feel starving, but I do feel hungry often. But I find I can't finish even a small yogurt. But then 30 min later, I feel hungry again...

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

I usually pace myself and it takes me like 30 minutes to finish 1 yogurt. And it will leave me content, but then I’m hungry an hour later.

I usually pace myself and it takes me like 30 minutes to finish 1 yogurt. And it will leave me content, but then I’m hungry an hour later.

It’s actually a great thing to eat small frequent meals. It keeps ur blood sugar from dropping, keeps ur body from storing fat & u should have plenty of energy. U just gotta make sure ur eating the right things in small portions. Nothing wrong with being hungry an hour after eating.

Hi! New to the group. I had my sleeve done on 12/28. The first week I had such trouble with the gas pains that I basically had to walk while getting liquid down, but the walking really helped. The gas pain was like I could feel my sip of liquid and the gas competing and rolling up and down until they equalized.

I remember reading that someone had shoulder pain. I did too! My first night in the hospital I had acute pain in my collarbone area. It's slowly going away, but my left should still occasionally hurts. Pre-op my doc said gas can get trapped in unexpected places and will eventually be absorbed. I'm wondering if the shoulder pain is due to gas that's trapped. Anyone else experience that? Oh, and my torso started itching like crazy this past week. It was so bad that I tried hydrocortosone cream everywhere except the incision sites, but that didn't stop the itching. I finally tried benadryl and that helped a lot. So far the itching has stopped the past couple of days, but I was worried that it was going to drive me crazy for a bit there.

Finally I've been able to sleep on my side, though if I'm at the wrong angle or too stretched, it's uncomfortable. The bad thing is that I've always started out on my side but find I then wake up having turned and slept on my stomach. Needless to say that after surgery this was impossible, but now that I'm starting to sleep on my side, I've found myself having rolled onto my stomach. Very uncomfortable! I think I'll try propping with pillows as some others suggested.

My doc had me on "clear liquids" only (sf clear drinks with electrolytes, sf popsicles, sf Jello, salty broths) the first week which was fine with me as I could hardly tolerate anything. My 2nd and 3rd week are "full liquids" (protein shakes, sf pudding, creamy Soups - but nothing pureed). I've been at this stage for 3 days and it's already getting old. I have no idea how I will I make it another 11 days. And truthfully it has been really hard getting in enough Protein and liquids. Yesterday I did not get enough liquids in, and after getting out of a hot shower I got really lightheaded. I had to lie down immediately and luckily had some Smart Water next to the bed that I could sip on. I woke up fine today, but it took me all day to get 1 Protein Shake down. It's not the taste, it's more that I'm not that hungry and I have no excitement to drink it. It is nice to be able to have creamy soups. And luckily I was able to get a sufficient amount of liquids in today. I'm going to try sf pudding tomorrow. My first attempt with the sf jello in the first week had some uncomfortable moments, so I'm hesitant to try the pudding but I have to remind myself to just go slow.

I find that although I don't have a lot of real hunger pains, I am definitely having head hunger. And watching TV makes it worse! I swear more than 1/2 the commercials are pizza commercials. Very frustrating!

Has anyone had their follow up appointment? Mine is next week and the Nurse Practioner mentioned that they would do a barium swallow to check for leaks or other issues. Has anyone had to do this yet?

Hi! New to the group. I had my sleeve done on 12/28. The first week I had such trouble with the gas pains that I basically had to walk while getting liquid down, but the walking really helped. The gas pain was like I could feel my sip of liquid and the gas competing and rolling up and down until they equalized.

I remember reading that someone had shoulder pain. I did too! My first night in the hospital I had acute pain in my collarbone area. It's slowly going away, but my left should still occasionally hurts. Pre-op my doc said gas can get trapped in unexpected places and will eventually be absorbed. I'm wondering if the shoulder pain is due to gas that's trapped. Anyone else experience that? Oh, and my torso started itching like crazy this past week. It was so bad that I tried hydrocortosone cream everywhere except the incision sites, but that didn't stop the itching. I finally tried benadryl and that helped a lot. So far the itching has stopped the past couple of days, but I was worried that it was going to drive me crazy for a bit there.

Finally I've been able to sleep on my side, though if I'm at the wrong angle or too stretched, it's uncomfortable. The bad thing is that I've always started out on my side but find I then wake up having turned and slept on my stomach. Needless to say that after surgery this was impossible, but now that I'm starting to sleep on my side, I've found myself having rolled onto my stomach. Very uncomfortable! I think I'll try propping with pillows as some others suggested.

My doc had me on "clear liquids" only (sf clear drinks with electrolytes, sf popsicles, sf Jello, salty broths) the first week which was fine with me as I could hardly tolerate anything. My 2nd and 3rd week are "full liquids" (protein shakes, sf pudding, creamy Soups - but nothing pureed). I've been at this stage for 3 days and it's already getting old. I have no idea how I will I make it another 11 days. And truthfully it has been really hard getting in enough Protein and liquids. Yesterday I did not get enough liquids in, and after getting out of a hot shower I got really lightheaded. I had to lie down immediately and luckily had some Smart Water next to the bed that I could sip on. I woke up fine today, but it took me all day to get 1 Protein Shake down. It's not the taste, it's more that I'm not that hungry and I have no excitement to drink it. It is nice to be able to have creamy Soups. And luckily I was able to get a sufficient amount of liquids in today. I'm going to try sf pudding tomorrow. My first attempt with the sf Jello in the first week had some uncomfortable moments, so I'm hesitant to try the pudding but I have to remind myself to just go slow.

I find that although I don't have a lot of real hunger pains, I am definitely having head hunger. And watching TV makes it worse! I swear more than 1/2 the commercials are pizza commercials. Very frustrating!

Has anyone had their follow up appointment? Mine is next week and the Nurse Practioner mentioned that they would do a barium swallow to check for leaks or other issues. Has anyone had to do this yet?

They did my barium test the day after surgery. My surgeon doesn’t do outpatient sleeve surgery. So during my 2 1/2 day stay in the hospital, I did the swallow test then. It want bad at all.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:26 PM, Lotte22 said:

Anyone scheduled for sleeve in late Dec? Mine is on Dec 26, and I’d love to be in touch with others going through it with me.

I sleeved the 26 too. I’d love to keep in touch for support. Im currently down 25 lbs.