Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op questions for pre-op stress

Hi all, my surgery is in a few days and its all i can think about. Been reading a lot of what people have to say for postop struggles and praises and i have a few questions for those of us that are silently freaking out on the inside lol.

1. What are things you wish you had known before surgery?

2. What is gas pain? And how do you deal with it?

3. What is the normal expectation of lbs lost per week? And what has helped you deal with stalls?

4. How are your energy levels as you increase in time since surgery and increasing Protein?

5. For those of you that have been to the hospital for dehydration what were the warning signs?

6. When did you start feeling like you could do a normal day without feeling dead exhausted after a few activities or outings?

*answer any and all. Appreciate any input. Also anybody else like me have questions put them out there!

56 minutes ago, Cac93 said:

What are things you wish you had known before surgery?

I knew pretty much everything that I needed to know prior to my surgery. Like you, I asked many questions. Knowing what to expect and actually experiencing it are two different things. From everyone I spoke to I knew that I would not have much of an appetite but not wanting to eat is totally foreign to me. It's a strange feeling not wanting to eat, wanting food or enjoying food. As you ready yourself for your surgery think about this, you will lose weight. The weight will come off but you will experience stalls which are normal. (Don't be a slave to the scale) Your health will get better and you will experience the strangeness of all these wonderful things. You are taking the first step towards a healthier life.

I knew pretty much everything that I needed to know prior to my surgery. Like you, I asked many questions. Knowing what to expect and actually experiencing it are two different things. From everyone I spoke to I knew that I would not have much of an appetite but not wanting to eat is totally foreign to me. It's a strange feeling not wanting to eat, wanting food or enjoying food. As you ready yourself for your surgery think about this, you will lose weight. The weight will come off but you will experience stalls which are normal. (Don't be a slave to the scale) Your health will get better and you will experience the strangeness of all these wonderful things. You are taking the first step towards a healthier life.

Agreed, don't be a slave to the scale, or that number. Remember, a number on a scale is only your gravitational pull towards the earth.

sw: 334
pre-op: 314
cw: 213

I can answer your dehydration question..not really signs of before, but during and after. I usually get a bad headache, almost Migraine esc... it gets better with small sips of Water, but if you get to the point where the pain is unbearable and you can't stop throwing up, then to the ER you go. Get fluids, anti-nausea meds, pain meds for the major headach you have just incured. A bit more advise, if the ER isn't familiar with WLS they might try and give you nsaids, and you need to make them aware of the surgery, and which medication you can and can't take. When you go back to your surgeron, ask for a rather large rx of anti-nausea meds because vomiting can harm your new stomach.

I can answer your dehydration question..not really signs of before, but during and after. I usually get a bad Headache, almost Migraine esc... it gets better with small sips of Water, but if you get to the point where the pain is unbearable and you can't stop throwing up, then to the ER you go. Get fluids, anti-nausea meds, pain meds for the major headach you have just incured. A bit more advise, if the ER isn't familiar with WLS they might try and give you nsaids, and you need to make them aware of the surgery, and which medication you can and can't take. When you go back to your surgeron, ask for a rather large rx of anti-nausea meds because vomiting can harm your new stomach.

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful :)

how easy it would be. I freaked myself out expecting misery and it was a cake walk. Not a universal experience...but I am really thankful the fates went easy on me.

They pump your belly up with gas for the surgery...the gas gets absorbed by tissues and moves around and causes pain. Feels like a deep miserable ache, kinda like a pinched nerve or pulled muscle. For me, the gas pain was awful in my shoulders. Walk, walk, walk and move your body....this will help it reabsorb. Ginger tea was also helpful for me. My group frowns on gas remedy medications.

3. What is the normal expectation of lbs lost per week? And what has helped you deal with stalls? Differs for everyone.

4. How are your energy levels as you increase in time since surgery and increasing Protein? I feel terrific. Been driving myself places and shopping the last couple days, doing housework, going to appointments, wrapping gifts. I'm a week out today.

5. For those of you that have been to the hospital for dehydration what were the warning signs? headache, dry mouth, nausea....if you lift the skin on the back of your hand and it stands up in a tent, you are probably dehydrated....it should snap right down.

6. When did you start feeling like you could do a normal day without feeling dead exhausted after a few activities or outings? Day 4 after surgery. Again...this might not be a typical experience.

*answer any and all. Appreciate any input. Also anybody else like me have questions put them out there!

how easy it would be. I freaked myself out expecting misery and it was a cake walk. Not a universal experience...but I am really thankful the fates went easy on me.
They pump your belly up with gas for the surgery...the gas gets absorbed by tissues and moves around and causes pain. Feels like a deep miserable ache, kinda like a pinched nerve or pulled muscle. For me, the gas pain was awful in my shoulders. Walk, walk, walk and move your body....this will help it reabsorb. Ginger tea was also helpful for me. My group frowns on gas remedy medications.
3. What is the normal expectation of lbs lost per week? And what has helped you deal with stalls? Differs for everyone.
4. How are your energy levels as you increase in time since surgery and increasing Protein? I feel terrific. Been driving myself places and shopping the last couple days, doing housework, going to appointments, wrapping gifts. I'm a week out today.
5. For those of you that have been to the hospital for dehydration what were the warning signs? Headache, dry mouth, nausea....if you lift the skin on the back of your hand and it stands up in a tent, you are probably dehydrated....it should snap right down.
6. When did you start feeling like you could do a normal day without feeling dead exhausted after a few activities or outings? Day 4 after surgery. Again...this might not be a typical experience.

Like this

I didn't know about the skin on the back of the hand! I remember it now that you mention it, thank you so much for refreshing my memory! We should toast! ** hands you and ice cold cup of water** **clank** or however toasting virtually is supposed to sound! :)

5. For those of you that have been to the hospital for dehydration what were the warning signs? headache, dry mouth, nausea....if you lift the skin on the back of your hand and it stands up in a tent, you are probably dehydrated....it should snap right down.

Like this

Thank you thank you! So happy to hear you are having such a great experience recovering. Praying mine is something like that!