Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting an hour to drink after eating

How long after surgery do u have to keep waiting an hour to drink after eating? It really sucks having to do this because I love to drink Water constantly.

I think forever. At the beginning, I think it's about getting too full with the tight pouch, but later it continues to be a matter of pushing the nutrients through your body too quickly.

An hour?! Wow, my rules stated 30 minutes. I still follow that rule at almost 3 years post op.

The reason for the post meal delay is to allow the food to be broken down as much as possible and feel satiated longer. Drinking too soon can flush the partially digested food into the intestines prematurely.

The wonderful side effect of that can be flatulence that is especially potent as well as malabsorption since the food wasn't completely digested. And of course feeling hungry sooner than necessary.

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

Mine is 30 min as well but as time goes on I will be able to drink up until the time I eat. Not sure when

16 hours ago, BigViffer said:

An hour?! Wow, my rules stated 30 minutes. I still follow that rule at almost 3 years post op.

The reason for the post meal delay is to allow the food to be broken down as much as possible and feel satiated longer. Drinking too soon can flush the partially digested food into the intestines prematurely.

That. My doc had me at 30 minutes as well before/after meals. Can be difficult to do as I'm a big drinker, but for the most part I stick to this as much as possible.

I wait 30 minutes. But I will take an occasional sip here and there if needed.

I thought I would NEVER adjust to this new way of eating but 14 months out and I don't even think about it any more.

How long after surgery do u have to keep waiting an hour to drink after eating? It really sucks having to do this because I love to drink Water constantly.

I'm told 20 minutes so I follow that.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

11 minutes ago, DropWt4Life said:

I usually wait 30 minutes, but if I eat something dense, I wait for an hour or so.

Yes, I totally agree with this. I tend to wait till I don't feel full anymore before drinking. It's kind of like traffic, you can follow the posted speed but you really need to drive with the flow of traffic. And those two things can be different. lol! So situational.

I wait 30 minutes. Or til I no longer feel full.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-147
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Medium in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

I wait 30 mins after I eat to drink.

I'm not on regular food yet, but if I try to sip too soon after eating something soft like yogurt, I'll get nauseous. There're also the issues of sending food through your stomach more quickly and potentially stretching out your stomach if you eat and drink at the same time.

In the first couple weeks the main goal is fluids so you don't get dehydrated - so ignore waiting, as most of your consumption is very liquid anyway and you won't feel restriction until dense Protein. The waiting is about restriction/feeling full AND digestion. I drink up to 15 minutes before meals, and wait 30 after unless the protein is a little dry. I have really good restriction with most food. chicken breast is too dry/stringy no matter how I have fixed it (I am a good cook so it's not my cooking methods) but thigh meat is great, also pork loin chops are so dense I can barely eat 2oz of it and I sometimes take a bite of veg to help with getting protein down. I am 9 weeks out. When I drink now, I can take good slugs of liquids without issue - so getting hydrated is much easier after those first 4 weeks. Hang in there.

The way my nutritionist explained it to me was that the Protein in foods won't absorb properly unless it is broken down by stomach acid. And since we have such a small pouch and on top of that are on acid reducers for the first year, the food needs to spend as much time in the pouch as possible. Plus you stay full longer.

So for me, not drinking for an hour after meals is a small price to pay for the results i'm having.