Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling back to normal/“buyers remorse”

I have surgery the 29th. Went good I’m very healthy besides my weight. When I woke up said it went longer because they found a hernia or a hernia was starting to form freaked me out. THe rest of the 29th I basically slept. Woke up the 30th so so thirsty. I was having trouble peeing getting enough Water etc. By that night I was in pain I could th pass gas I was basically like holy crap what did you do was this the right choice. I couldn’t sleep at all. I was so uncomfortable in bed. Finally they gave me some more pain meds me nausea meds that make you tired and I was able to get back to sleep. Pain has Lessened substantially. I’m able to pass gas I was noticing a lot of cramping and while it hurt to walk I know that was what would best help me. So I’ve been released I’m home now. Just wondering when you all started noticing your bodies not being in pain or uncomfortable etc. I have some pretty cool scars so that’s neat

I had gastric bypass 11/13. I had maybe 7 days where I was just in constant melt down/what have I done mode. This is very normal! Mine was made MUCH worse because I couldn't stomach the milky Protein Drink, so I went almost 4 days on only broth. Don't do this! Protein is essential to healing, and as my surgeon's office explained- without protein, your body is burning fat so rapidly you are guaranteed to be nauseous (I was miserably so).

As far as "pain", I was down to mostly soreness with occasional spikes of pain if I twisted or sat too fast in 5-7 days. My only lingering soreness is the one stitch they did in my abdominal muscle. When I go for walks and get winded or lay on my right side it hurts, but nothing crippling.

I did not take any narcotics, I took Tylenol for about 5 days then stopped those as well. Welcome to the other side!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Most people feel about worried about if they made the right decision at first. You will start feeling better soon I felt better 2 weeks post. Emotionally felt better when moved on to normal foods my surgeon moved me onto that at 5 weeks as couldn't cope with puree lol.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats! Sounds like you're doing great girlie!!!

I didn't have much pain and it only lasted maybe 3 or 4 days. I think I only took the pain meds they sent me home with for a day or two.

buyer's remorse is common. I had that my first couple of weeks. I got over it quickly, though, and was really glad I had the surgery.

I had pain for about 4 weeks. Apparently there was a lot of trauma removing my stomach and I kept repulling that same muscle. An abdominal binder/brace was my saving grace. Alternate plain Tylenol if you don't have Tylenol in your pain meds (I was on hydromorphone without tylenol), it really helps the inflammation. No more than 4000mg total Tylenol per day.

I was frustrated at first with trying to get in my Protein and the pureed diet, but honestly noe I feel totally normal and things are going well. 3 months out, down 33lbs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for all your comments guy, im doing pretty great. My pain is pretty manageable. I did over do it today and tried to go to the store with my mom, I was miserable the rest of the day. I've cut back on the narcotics, its really uncomfortable to sleep without them. So I am just taking them once a day at night before bed and plan to ween off in the next two days. Water intake is the hardest part for me. I feel so full and my stomach starts to cramp and rumble. Any advice on that. I am only drinking about 32oz of water and 3/4 a Protein drink and I know I need to up that so i don't get dehydrated.

Best tip there is just sip sip sip all day long (once you add in food you don't drink 30 minutes before or after eating). It's a big change because were used to being able to gulp.

Also, I found warm or room temp beverages went down much easier. Cold drinks still make me queasy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

I had minimal pain post surgery. Took drugs for just a couple of days. I didn't begin to feel normal until week 6 when I started eating real food again. Went back to gym week 7.
Try different types of water...flavored, coconut, etc... just no carbonation. As suggested by sqky...try different temps...hot, cold, room temp.
Everyone is different and key is to find what works for you.
Congratulations...and keep coming back for support.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, Paityn said:

Thanks for all your comments guy, im doing pretty great. My pain is pretty manageable. I did over do it today and tried to go to the store with my mom, I was miserable the rest of the day. I've cut back on the narcotics, its really uncomfortable to sleep without them. So I am just taking them once a day at night before bed and plan to ween off in the next two days. Water intake is the hardest part for me. I feel so full and my stomach starts to cramp and rumble. Any advice on that. I am only drinking about 32oz of Water and 3/4 a Protein drink and I know I need to up that so i don't get dehydrated.

I have had a number of other surgeries, including lap band (and lap band removal) and I struggle with pain meds- you need them to get comfortable but they tend to give me nausea and they also make it hard for me to sleep. I am drugged, so I lay there but I really don't sleep well which makes things worse. Oh and they make me emotional LOL so that is not fun.

All I read everywhere is sip and sip - maybe you can give yourself a goal. Every 15 minutes, take a sip. Or every 10 minutes. This is a thing I do when driving- I take along water and challenge myself to finish a water bottle before my destination (that will have to change when I can't drink it as fast!).

Good luck, we're all cheering for you!