Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fibromyalgia

Hi,

I haven't been banded yet (planning on Jan '08) but I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist says it might go away when I lose all my weight. I just wondered if anyone here has had FMS and if it improved after your weight loss.

Thanks!

On and off in my life as the weight has gone down, the fibro symptoms have gotten better - this is because there's less weight on your nerves and other sensitive tissues, etc. However, fibro is an idiopathic diagnosis - there's something that causes it but they don't know what it is - see if you can find out what it is - have your doctor test your heavy metals - that's a big culprit of fibro symptoms. Have them check you multiple times during your monthly cycle for things like lupus and lyme disease as well as hashimotos, oddly enough, where you are in your cycle can effect the ANA results on your blood screen - I found this one out the hard way - the hormones can really affect this. Its much easier to find out what's causing it than to try and live with it.

Thanks!! I'll take your advice.

I too have fibro and thought my pain would lessen as I lost weight. I have lost 80.5 lbs. total and my pain is sometimes worse then before. I think my pain is more due to the lack of weight on my frame now. Being I am large breasted and the weight loss has just made the pressure and pain in my neck, back and shoulders unbearable. I am going for a consultation at a plastic surgeon to see if breast reduction will help relieve this pain. In my case the pain did'nt get any better with my weight loss. Hope you have better luck

Hi,

I haven't been banded yet (planning on Jan '08) but I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist says it might go away when I lose all my weight. I just wondered if anyone here has had FMS and if it improved after your weight loss.

Thanks!

I was diagnosised with fibro also, I had a hysterctomy a year ago and my symptoms are a lot better. I am uncomfortable some days but not miserable. And I also noticed that with a daily Protein shake I have no pain at all. I once heard fibro is a Protein deficency. Works for me...

I was diagnosed with FMS in 1994. My symptoms are much better with my weight loss but I still have "sleep pattern disturbances", as in I wake every couple of hours. Part of the problem is that I work nights, on my nights off, I sometimes can sleep 4 hours straight without waking. After my PS this month and the 6 week recovery period, I'm going to start looking for a different job, as in a day job.

I guess I'm pretty lucky as my PMS has been moderate, the strongest meds I've had to take for pain was Ultram, then I switched to Ibuprofen and now I don't take anything. I know that there are a lot of people that really suffer with FMS and have terrible pain and end up disabled. Hope you don't suffer too much with your newly diagnosed FMS. Good Luck to everyone that has FMS!

I was diagnosed with FMS in 1994. My symptoms are much better with my weight loss but I still have "sleep pattern disturbances", as in I wake every couple of hours. Part of the problem is that I work nights, on my nights off, I sometimes can sleep 4 hours straight without waking. After my PS this month and the 6 week recovery period, I'm going to start looking for a different job, as in a day job.

I guess I'm pretty lucky as my PMS has been moderate, the strongest meds I've had to take for pain was Ultram, then I switched to Ibuprofen and now I don't take anything. I know that there are a lot of people that really suffer with FMS and have terrible pain and end up disabled. Hope you don't suffer too much with your newly diagnosed FMS. Good Luck to everyone that has FMS!

Hi Angel,

Thank you so much for your response. I feel a bit better a little relief is better than NONE...I have had symptoms since 1991 but no one could figure it out. When I finally reached the correct "type" of doctor he scratched his head as well. It took him 5 years to figure it out and by the time he did I was "half dead" emotionally. I was in to much pain death seemed like a very reasonable solution. Thank God and the Angels above that it is better. I can live with some pain but not the blinding, headslitting, thigh numbing, death crawl I was living with before. I hope all goes well with the new job search....

best wishes Lana

My symptoms all but disappeared when I started getting very serious about getting enough sleep. I figured out that I HAVE to have at least 7.5 hours per night or I am in pain. I take a low dose of nortriptyline, and I sleep with ear plugs, I avoid caffeine after noon, and I make sure I have enough time to sleep. This is a priority in my life, and it keeps me all but symptom free. This probably doesn't work for everyone, but it has worked for me. Good luck.

I have fibromyalgia and was banded in November 2006. I have lost over 75 and was hopeful that this would help since I got rid of high blood pressure and diabetes, but unfortunately it hasn't been the case for me. I know it does help some and my doc was hopeful also. Who knows, maybe it just takes more time. It has helped everything else though, so no complaints.;)