Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

calorie intake

I’m curious about this too. I’m 4 weeks poat op. I log most days on my fitness pal and I’m averaging 400-450 a day. I’ve had about 3 days over the last 2 weeks where I’ve eaten 600-700 (mindless eating though I think that was!!)

12 minutes ago, monkeyol said:

I’m curious about this too. I’m 4 weeks poat op. I log most days on my fitness pal and I’m averaging 400-450 a day. I’ve had about 3 days over the last 2 weeks where I’ve eaten 600-700 (mindless eating though I think that was!!)

My surgeon recommended 500 calories.

When I was at your stage, I also freaked out over the extra 100-200 calories. In hindsight, I didn't need to for several reasons. MFP and nutrition labels themselves have a margin of error that might add up to 100-200/day which means you could very well be eating 400-500 after all. What made you obese in the first place was probably not a 100-200/day caloric surplus but rather something 5 to 10 times that amount. Standard Calories-in-Calories-Out(CICO) theory says 3500=1lb of fat. But I believe the research has been refined to show that when you are eating at such a severe caloric deficit a la post-WLS, it takes far more than 3500 calories to lose 1 lb of fat. So mathematically the extra 100-200/day would only slow your weight loss by 1-2lbs per month tops. Those are small numbers compared to the excess weight that you started with.

In any case, hang in there. You will get the results.

Edited by forgetmenot

If it helps, I wasn't given a calorie target by my surgical team, but I've been averaging 400-500 calories per day, and I'm seeing the results. I'm sure you're doing just fine :)

About a month post op I was averaging 300-500 calories and I was not getting my Protein reliably in until about 3 months post op.

I am 6 months post op and range between 400 and 1200 calories a day. I periodically raise and lower my calories for no other reason than it seems to keep my WL on track and curtail stalls.

I also periodically add and take out carbs for the same reason.

I was probably getting around 700. My Protein Shakes are 180 calories (I think) and 30 g Protein so to get 100 g protein I probably had 3 shakes plus whatever additional liquids.

I’m a little over 3 months and I eat between 600-1700 calories a day. Some days I do two HIIT/crossfit workouts instead of just one so I need the extra calories. On those days I’m a little less strict about logging my macros. Sometimes it’s difficult to get enough fluids and enough food since I can’t eat and drink at the same time but I drink shakes if necessary.

I’m 6 weeks out and averaging about 525 cal / day. My medical team said not to focus on calories but to be sure I’m getting the required Protein and Water in.

Best of success to you!